PDA

View Full Version : (football) whats for me?

Tommy A
12-14-2008, 04:30 PM
hey im Tommy. im 14 and currently in middle school. next year im gonna be a freshman in highschool and i want to go out for the freshman's football team. im not really that smart when it comes to football and i dont know what postion i should be going out for. i like the idea of outside linebacker or sumthing but i dont know what kind of person plays what kind of postion. i like defence though cuz i play alot with friends from my neighborhood. here are my stats currently:

height 5'9"

weight 140

max bench 130

max squat i dont really know becuase i've never maxed on a squat before but i can do 135 6-10 times

40 time 5.5

however there is still 6 months before tryouts and im gonna really hit the gym and these are my goals:

height probibly same-ish

weight 160

max bench 160

max squat 200 at least

40 time 4.9-5 flat

what kind of postions fits that?

cougar23
12-14-2008, 04:51 PM
If you want to be a linebacker one of the most important things is that you can tackle. 5,9" is pretty tall. You should continue in the weight room with good technique.Is there a coach or another member of your hs team that can help you in the weight room? you need to be on a weight lifting routine of some kind. Try talking to your highschools coaches about that and see what routine they have the team on.

Tommy A
12-14-2008, 05:17 PM
well they have lifting sessions for the month before tryouts but i dont know how to contact the coaches before that cuz i dont go to the highschool so idk about that.. and as for the asking of the other team mates honestly i dont know if they know that much about it so i dont know what to do on that part. i could be wrong though its just our middle school wasn't really that "big" when it came down to sheer muscle

is 5'9" to big for outside linebacker?

what kind of regiment should i be on to get more agile and stronger and faster? i think im a really good tackler cuz the guys i play with always complain about my hits lol :)

cougar23
12-14-2008, 05:44 PM
no 5'9" iant to tall but i am a freshman and im only 5'7". Here is the routine our team has

Mon-
bench
squat
misc aux lifts
abs

Tue-
deadlift
powerclean
misc aux
plyometrics

Wed-
box squat
towel bench
misc. aux
abs

Thur
plyometrics
misc aux

misc. aux. stuff would consist of a few exercises like lat pull downs, skull crushers, curls, and leg press with reps of 10-12

plyometrics like line jumps,squat jumps, and lunges.
on plyometric days do these before your workout.

you should really find some one with some experience to train with you it helps to have someone spot you and watch your form.

Mike G
12-14-2008, 06:58 PM
Where are you lifting? If you're lifting at the school, there should be someone to help you out. If not, it shouldn't be too hard to get ahold of the coaches. 8th grade is still pretty young and a great time to hammer your form and build a good base for the future. It would be very beneficial if you had someone with experience to work with.

As for position, it's going to depend more on your skill set than your stats, especially since you've never played on a team.

Tommy A
12-14-2008, 07:16 PM
Where are you lifting? If you're lifting at the school, there should be someone to help you out. If not, it shouldn't be too hard to get ahold of the coaches. 8th grade is still pretty young and a great time to hammer your form and build a good base for the future. It would be very beneficial if you had someone with experience to work with.

As for position, it's going to depend more on your skill set than your stats, especially since you've never played on a team.

i lift at the local YMCA's weight room the middle school's weight room is faculty only. but how do i practice form? that doesnt seem like something you can do just at your house

CuT USF FaN
12-14-2008, 08:02 PM
Keep lifting and keep eating. And keep running. Do those 3 wisely, and you'll be fit for any position you want when you come to tryouts. It's not like there's going to be Tom Brady's trying out for the JV football team. You're going to be a freshman and if your stats are better than all the other freshmen, you're already standing out from the crowd.

But the number one thing you can have is drive. Go out there and drive YOURSELF. Don't just try to "show" the coaches your good, PROVE to them that you've got the drive to BE good. Because trust me, you won't be anything close to any varsity players as a freshman. It's all about devotion and drive.

Good luck.

OH, and I would recommend squatting and deadlifting more, not just benching. Build up a thick body to prevent injuries. Run interval sprints, or HIIT to build up speed.

cougar23
12-14-2008, 08:06 PM
do you have any equipment at home? you can practice form every time you pick up the weight.Your form is how you control the weight/bar. how fast or slow you move it and your body posture during the lift is your form.If any of this is done incorrectly you can hurt yourself. If you had someone with experience at the ymca to show you the proper form and technique for the lifts that i posted above that would help you out alot.

Tommy A
12-14-2008, 08:14 PM
oh lol i thought you ment form tackling but no i only have 10 pound dumbels

thank you all for the help thus far

WillNoble
12-14-2008, 10:03 PM
The most important thing is listen to your coaches and live in the weight room and EAT. While you are a middle schooler, you still have a great amount to grow, and at 5'9" you should grow more, hopefully signifigantly...

cwoodrb105
01-02-2009, 08:36 PM
I just finished my Freshman season November first. 5 foot 9 in Freshman football is pretty tall, yet you are skinny and don't have good maxes. I will say however, keep working at it, because you've got a good 7 months until the season really comes. In that time you can get a lot of weight, and up your maxes dramatically. I'm about 5 foot 8, 165 pounds, and I played safety. However, I'm a hard hitter and I've always been since I was little. Before you start aiming at a position, just get as strong as you possibly can. When the season winds around you'll really see what you want to be. You might be a good linebacker in your neighborhood, but with pads on it's a whole different story. It's all about containing, dropping back in zones, crashing, and blitzes. It may be a little for you to handle and as a beginner freshman you might want to first consider defensive end.

WillNoble
01-02-2009, 09:44 PM
I love the 14 year old giving sage advice on the game...classic

cwoodrb105
01-02-2009, 09:47 PM
I love the 14 year old giving sage advice on the game...classic

not sure whether to take this as a compliment, or a smart ass remark? If it's the first however, then thanks.

WillNoble
01-03-2009, 09:44 AM
more the 2nd than the 1st, you are a hair on your dick 2 years and fancy yourself a football coach?

Trust me on this one, at your age and experience your coaches know a helluva lot more about this game than you do, as I told the OP. Listen to your coaches, eat, train, and do what they tell you. You are taking the first steps on a long road in the game of football. Hell, your not even done growing yet.

LISTEN AND DO WHATEVER YOUR COACHES TELL YOU

Do not second guess them, just do it. When you get a little older, sure you can begin to dabble in other things, but at 14 years old, under 6' and under 200lbs. I can assure you, that you know nothing...

powerboy93
01-03-2009, 10:01 AM
more the 2nd than the 1st, you are a hair on your dick 2 years and fancy yourself a football coach?

Trust me on this one, at your age and experience your coaches know a helluva lot more about this game than you do, as I told the OP. Listen to your coaches, eat, train, and do what they tell you. You are taking the first steps on a long road in the game of football. Hell, your not even done growing yet.

LISTEN AND DO WHATEVER YOUR COACHES TELL YOU

Do not second guess them, just do it. When you get a little older, sure you can begin to dabble in other things, but at 14 years old, under 6' and under 200lbs. I can assure you, that you know nothing...

lol im just wondering... have you ever played on a football team will?

WillNoble
01-03-2009, 10:46 AM
lol im just wondering... have you ever played on a football team will?

yes, I did

I played 4 years on my high schools team where I was named an all state player at Offensive Tackle and Defensive End.

I went on to play Offensive Line at the University of Kentucky for 4 years before I was injured prior to my last year, forcing me to end my football career.

I had a very brief stint in the Arena League and quit because I hated it.

I have since coached at a number of camps and clinics and worked as a Graduate Assistant for the University of Kentucky. I later coached Offensive and Defensive Line at a Kentucky high school.

I think I may know what Im talking about...

powerboy93
01-03-2009, 11:08 AM
HAHAHAHA

yes, I did

I played 4 years on my high schools team where I was named an all state player at Offensive Tackle and Defensive End.

I went on to play Offensive Line at the University of Kentucky for 4 years before I was injured prior to my last year, forcing me to end my football career.

I have since coached at a number of camps and clinics and worked as a Graduate Assistant for the University of Kentucky. I later coached Offensive and Defensive Line at a Kentucky high school.

lol i never said u ddint know ur football stuff... i asked becuase @ 6'4 300 lbs ur ****ing hugeee

cwoodrb105
01-03-2009, 11:18 AM
I just tried to put in my input, but you're right.

WillNoble
01-03-2009, 01:57 PM
I just tried to put in my input, but you're right.

I'm not knocking you, but you need to also understand that you too are a beginner...

cwoodrb105
01-03-2009, 03:08 PM
I understand man. You know TONS more then I can probably ever hope to.

WillNoble
01-03-2009, 05:39 PM
I understand man. You know TONS more then I can probably ever hope to.

Just work hard and listen to your coaches. Don't try to over think them, at your age you are building the foundations for the rest of your career, whether it be high school, college, or pro... We all had to start somewhere, you have to pay your dues and work hard if you want to make it. Just shut up and lift, you're a freshman you've got lots to learn.

Please do not take this as a slam, I truly mean this to help you. I wish someone would've told me the same thing when I was your age...

cwoodrb105
01-03-2009, 08:36 PM
Thanks man, really.

BoAnderson71
01-09-2009, 06:29 PM
both of you freshman will get a lot bigger. Especially you c wood if you train for football all year round. Ive been doing the same and it has helped me alot.

Rip.66.
01-30-2009, 07:51 AM
Well as a Junior going into my senior year of football I can say that you don't want to waste any of your time as a freshmen. I am the strongest kid in my high school but I could be a lot stronger than I am if I trained harder younger. With a 5' 9" frame you shouldn't do anything except for pushups,sit-ups,and pull-ups until about a month or two before the season. My best advice is to go to your high school weight room in the summer ready to work hard. Listen to the older guys, never think you know more, they have been around the block. And most of all, never be satisfied, you can only truely be successful if you surpass your own expectations. In everything you do in life.

AJL11
01-30-2009, 08:30 AM
yes, I did

That should answer the question if Will has ever played FB or not.......Hahaha.

VERY few jr. high and high school kids will listen...Thats why I could not handle coaching HS....Read Angry Coach on Elite....thats exactly how it is in many High Schools...

WillNoble
01-30-2009, 08:47 AM
That should answer the question if Will has ever played FB or not.......Hahaha.

VERY few jr. high and high school kids will listen...Thats why I could not handle coaching HS....Read Angry Coach on Elite....thats exactly how it is in many High Schools...

I agree, I look at some of the dumb shiz my original strength coach in H.S. did to us, let alone the stupid crap half of the guys were doing based on what they saw in Flex magazine... Its amazing none of us were killed.

That and Ive spoken at coaching clinics where Ive heard of coaches testing maxes upwards of 10-12 times a year on all years of players.

The stupidity abounds, Angry coach is to me, what "Angry Dad" was to Al Bundy

Reko
01-30-2009, 09:07 AM
I agree, I look at some of the dumb shiz my original strength coach in H.S. did to us, let alone the stupid crap half of the guys were doing based on what they saw in Flex magazine... Its amazing none of us were killed.

That and Ive spoken at coaching clinics where Ive heard of coaches testing maxes upwards of 10-12 times a year on all years of players.

The stupidity abounds, Angry coach is to me, what "Angry Dad" was to Al Bundy

Haha, great analogy.

WillNoble
01-30-2009, 09:09 AM
Haha, great analogy.

sadly, one that very few will get...

bcraig5509
01-30-2009, 10:08 AM
As a freshman I was looking something like...
5'7" 160 lbs
Bench - 150 x 3
Front Squat - 135 x 8 (i had never back squated before)
Never deadlifted
Never really had a distinct workout program, just wishy-washy intro to the weight room stuff
Ran like a 13 second 100 yard dash, don't know what that converts to as a 40.

I started out as a fullback but got moved to center and was there for the rest of my high school career. Our stats are fairly similar, but I guess what I wanted to get at was if you work hard and show the ability, they will find a place for you on the field. I never thought in a million years I'd end up at center, but it ended up being the perfect place for me in the end.

AJL11
01-30-2009, 11:38 AM
Al Bundy scored 4 Touchdowns in one game at Polk High School

WillNoble
01-30-2009, 11:46 AM
I'll just leave this here:

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/3517/1222144096298fe9.jpg

Ryan Hale
01-30-2009, 12:07 PM
I've only got one word to say. :D

Yes MAAM.

Ryan Hale

WillNoble
01-30-2009, 12:23 PM
National Organization of Men Against Amazonian Masterhood

NO MA'AM

http://nomaamstore.com/No_maam.jpg

AJL11
01-30-2009, 12:30 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA.

Thats great! Watched that show every Sunday with my pops!!!!

Ryan Hale
01-30-2009, 01:12 PM
Damn,don't I feel like a flippen idiot. :bash:

I apologize to the Al Bundy Nation.

Great show.

Ryan Hale