PDA

View Full Version : new to the forum and wanting to lose spare tire...

JackTheRipper
12-14-2008, 05:45 PM
Hey guys and gals,

I found this forum when I was searching for the best protein. That's how I came across Nitrean and this sweet forum. I ended up buying a big tub of chocolate (freaking delicious btw, almost like little swiss miss mix)... I've been browsing the forums for some time but finally just joined tonight (tired of entering those random numbers every time I searched something lol)...

anyways, I had a few questions and was hoping someone could help me.

I originally started going back to the gym to lose my gut, but now I'm getting more and more interested in getting a little bigger and toned...

I've been working out for about 5 weeks and I've lost about 15 pounds..(I lift for an hour and 15 minutes two times per week and do at least 45 minutes of cardio (swimming (pool freediving), elliptical, HIIT (20 min)) everyday...and play racquetball when i can find people to play with...

I've been pretty pleased and impressed with my fat loss so far, but of course now I want to lose more...

I'm about 5'10-5'11 and weigh about 182... ( 1) any guesstimates on my body fat %)?

I'm not fat anywhere, but my stomach, it's really weird... I have stopped drinking alcohol, I dont smoke, and I really watch what I eat throughout the day...

2) now I understand that you have to eat simple carbs post workout with protein, but can someone please give me specific examples?

3) how many grams of protein can you digest in one sitting?

4) is it okay to work the whole body in one day? I only work out 2 times per week, and I usually do the whole body...

and here is a typical day of what I eat...

morning, 2 packets of oatmeal weight loss maple and brown sugar with skim milk (1 gram of sugar, tastes really good too), 30 grams of Nitrean (this includes skim milk)... a clementine....

lunch... sushi, I love sushi, I eat only healthy sushi, and i do eat a miso soup.... (I just need to watch my soy sauce intake a little more, kikoman is sooo good, but I do eat the low sodium one)

a clementine before 5 o'clock...

a can of tuna before working out

post workout Nitrean shake...

a baked chicken breast with veggies...

a Nitrean shake before bed...

and maybe a few 100 calorie snack packs throughout the day
all with tons of water, I only drink water and I do drink lots of it...

anyways, if anyone can give me some tips or recommendations, I would be very appreciative...

I also take a men's health multi-vitamin in the morning when I remember to....

and I know Im gonna piss some people off by saying this, but my first goal was to lose my belly, now that this is becoming more and more realistic, I'm wanting to get a 6 pack, and no not a dang 6 pack of beer, 6 pack abs...

if I continue on my course and workout hard, lots of cardio and heavy weights, any predictions when this would be possible?

jtrink
12-14-2008, 05:55 PM
(1) need a picture, hard to tell.
(2) i like to eat apple sauce or drink fruit juice as my source
(3) there have been multiple studies testing this aspect. some places say the average person can only ingest around 25gs in one sitting. However, most people on here aren't "average people", we lift weights, lol. Personally, I aim for 40 pre- workout and 50ish post-workout... If you are looking to get bigger it's extremely important to eat 1.5gs times your body weight.
(4) I would say that's fine. I used to workout a three day split that incorporated the whole body. Just depends on if your body is fully recovered before your next workout.

EDIT: you will only be able to see abs if your body fat percentage is low enough. dieting is key.

welcome to the forums.

KingWilder
12-14-2008, 06:02 PM
( 1) any guesstimates on my body fat %?
no possible way to guess this accurately with purely your height and weight
Try this: (requires weight and waist size)
(SFW) http://www.freeweightloss.com/calculator1.html

2) now I understand that you have to eat simple carbs post workout with protein, but can someone please give me specific examples?
anything from a real meal (chicken, veggies, bread) to gatorade/protein powder...whatever is easiest

3) how many grams of protein can you digest in one sitting?
digestion is a complicated process which yields a complicated answer. The simple version is don't worry about it.

4) is it okay to work the whole body in one day? I only work out 2 times per week, and I usually do the whole body...
This is perfectly acceptable. 2-3 full body workouts a week (heavy, low rep) is actually a really good strategy to preserve muscle while trying to lose unwanted body fat.

As far as what you're doing with diet...any idea how much protein you're getting? Food choices aren't terrible...it'd be nice if you had an idea how MANY calories you're eating, but so long as you're losing weight and getting enough protein is probably isn't worth stressing over just yet.

JackTheRipper
12-14-2008, 06:18 PM
hey guys, thanks for the fast and friendly responses...KingWilder, I hope you are a tar heel fan, because I graduated from Chapel Hill!

I try to aim for at least 1500 calories a day... I never understood people who had eating disorders, but once you set a goal and you want to see results, I can honestly see how people could stop eating to lose weight, etc.

my weakness when I first started working out 5 weeks ago was that I could EAT...I mean I could eat until I popped, but now, I find that I can control my hunger more efficiently since I've been working out, weird...

I'm also 26 if that helps...

I'm not racing to get 6 pack abs, I've just set a goal, whether it is 5 weeks longer or 5 years.... I've always wanted one, so dangit, I'm gonna get it before I start planting daisies!

KingWilder
12-14-2008, 07:05 PM
hey guys, thanks for the fast and friendly responses...KingWilder, I hope you are a tar heel fan, because I graduated from Chapel Hill!

I try to aim for at least 1500 calories a day... I never understood people who had eating disorders, but once you set a goal and you want to see results, I can honestly see how people could stop eating to lose weight, etc.

my weakness when I first started working out 5 weeks ago was that I could EAT...I mean I could eat until I popped, but now, I find that I can control my hunger more efficiently since I've been working out, weird...

I'm also 26 if that helps...

I'm not racing to get 6 pack abs, I've just set a goal, whether it is 5 weeks longer or 5 years.... I've always wanted one, so dangit, I'm gonna get it before I start planting daisies!

Sorry to hear about that whole Carolina thing....

( GOOOOOOOOOOO PACK! :moon: )

JackTheRipper
12-14-2008, 07:14 PM
awwww man... sorry to hear that about you...

I will say this though.... I bet you thoroughly enjoyed this years football game

but it's basketball season now my friend! :)

PS...

lets be theoretical here... if say my body fat % was 15...how long would it take me to get to 10%?

KingWilder
12-14-2008, 07:51 PM
http://builtblog.wikidbody.com/calcs/bfcalc/

try that