PDA

View Full Version : Playing a sport the same day as lifting

XFacta82
12-15-2008, 11:05 AM
If I lift in the morning, is it bad on the muscles and the recovery process to play a sport (such as throwing a baseball) a few hours later?

Reko
12-15-2008, 11:39 AM
Depends on the lifts you did and how intesnt they were/the sport is. Ever played two games in one day? You might not be at 100% but I wouldn't necessarily let it stop you. If its a big game maybe skip it or do a real light workout. If its a practice or just messing aroudn with your friends I don't see why it would matter.

XFacta82
12-15-2008, 11:42 AM
It was a pretty intense workout. I just don't want to injure myself if my muscles aren't ready so I guess I will take the day off.

drew
12-15-2008, 11:49 AM
Is it competitive sport or just for fun? If you're part of a team, it would be best not to lift the same day as a game. If you're just going out to play a game for fun, then it really doesn't matter much.

235orbust
12-15-2008, 02:32 PM
IT all depends on you. If your workout was so tough to the point that you have lost range of motion and/or cant maintain correct form, then you would be better off taking the day off. but if it is just a matter of having general soreness, youll be fine. Lifting and playing the same day is common practice at any level of college athletics

Circuit5kv
01-10-2009, 01:00 AM
I wouldn't suggest lifting heavy then going and doing MMA. Not only will you be more likely to get your hiney kicked, but ya, you tare your muscle down further.