PDA

View Full Version : Just a little chilly

fulldaddy
12-15-2008, 11:30 AM
Ok, it is not just a little chilly - it is flipping cold out in Bismarck, ND. Bush league. I keep trying to remind myself I lived in Alaska for a LONG time and this isn't near as bad as some of the cold we got up there but I guess I am not as tough as I used to be. The biggest difference (besides taking even longer to warm up for training) is the wind here. -20 below is a different ball game with 20-35 mph winds. I'd love to hear some cold weather stories to help me remember I don't have it so bad.

Here is mine - junior year in high school we went roughly 2 weeks where the temp didn't get above -30. We hit -64 (no wind) during that span and that was the first time in 22 years they canceled school because it was too cold (North Pole, AK). That was my first experience with using the ice scraper on the inside of a car. The room in our HS with the squat racks & benches wasn't directly heated so we'd be in there lifting with our coats on, wearing gloves, freezing our butts off in a dimly lit room. Not much rest time between sets - oh the memories.

I need to come down south to work out with some of you guys :eek: Have a good week.

Reko
12-15-2008, 11:34 AM
Dude, that is awesome. Ours was right about 0 this morning when I left for work in KC, Mo. Nothing like what you have but my breath was freezin on the inside of my windshield, my heater didn't work at first (sounded like a baseball card in a fan), my car BARELY turned over when I started it, and my cd player wouldn't work.

All that said though, I love the cold. Absolutely love it!

BigTallOx
12-15-2008, 11:40 AM
The biggest difference (besides taking even longer to warm up for training) is the wind here. -20 below is a different ball game with 20-35 mph winds. I'd love to hear some cold weather stories to help me remember I don't have it so bad.

When I was in graduate school, we had an arctic blast with temps down in the -35F range. A bunch of us physics geeks went on top of the physics building and threw boiling water off the top of the building. It made this big fizzing sound and immediately turned into steam.

We haven't had any extremely cold temps yet here this year. It looks like the mountains are keeping the really cold stuff it to the east of Utah.

fulldaddy
12-15-2008, 11:55 AM
Hey BTO, good to hear from you. The weather probably wouldn't bother me as much if we didn't have a puppy (wife's idea :)) that for some reason doesn't want to go outside to pee. So know I get to carry her out to her area & stand there as we both freeze our asses off ha ha.

I moved up to Alaska from Tucson, AZ (dad was in the Air Force) so that was traumatic in itself. When it was -64 I was out there spitting in the air to see if it would freeze before it hit the ground (couldn't tell), I threw a big cup of water against the house and that DID freeze before it could run down to the ground. The first time I got in a car where the bottoms of the tires froze flat was a trip. It feels like your are driving in Fred Flinstone's ride for a hundred feet or so and then they regain their shape.

fulldaddy
12-15-2008, 12:00 PM
Dude, that is awesome. Ours was right about 0 this morning when I left for work in KC, Mo. Nothing like what you have but my breath was freezin on the inside of my windshield, my heater didn't work at first (sounded like a baseball card in a fan), my car BARELY turned over when I started it, and my cd player wouldn't work.

All that said though, I love the cold. Absolutely love it!

I did see that the cold was stretching down that way. My wife and I were in Omaha last weekend and everyone down there was complaining about the cold & we were actually relieved because it was somewhat warm in comparison. Your body does adjust fairly quickly.

We got a dam foot of snow here over the weekend with 30-40mph wind gusts. The snow drifts are what makes things really challenging (and of course the windchill). You know when the weather channel is hanging out in your town - you got something going on. I think we'd all rather have this then the ice storms up in the Northeast. At least we have power.

deeder
12-15-2008, 12:33 PM
Right now my phone says -28C but feels like -42C with the wind chill. Yesterday was something like -36C and feels like -48 with windchill. It's our first cold streak of the year. Usually we get a really bad one mid to late January.

I've been going out to start my car every 4 hours and letting it run for 15 minutes. My car ran for 20 minutes this morning before I drove to work and it still wasn't warm enough for the heater to blow warm air.

I can remember plenty of days where we've hit -45C to -50C with a wind chill on top of that.

fulldaddy
12-15-2008, 12:42 PM
Right now my phone says -28C but feels like -42C with the wind chill. Yesterday was something like -36C and feels like -48 with windchill. It's our first cold streak of the year. Usually we get a really bad one mid to late January.

I've been going out to start my car every 4 hours and letting it run for 15 minutes. My car ran for 20 minutes this morning before I drove to work and it still wasn't warm enough for the heater to blow warm air.

I can remember plenty of days where we've hit -45C to -50C with a wind chill on top of that.

Where in Canada do you live Deeder?

fulldaddy
12-15-2008, 01:51 PM
Day after slide show
http://bismarcktribune.com/shared-content/story_tools/slideshow/?id=86

Reko
12-15-2008, 02:22 PM

-45 Celcius?
holy ****

fpr
12-15-2008, 03:35 PM
damn, it's 69F here in virginia today, lol

Tom Mutaffis
12-15-2008, 03:49 PM
Day after slide show
http://bismarcktribune.com/shared-content/story_tools/slideshow/?id=86

That is some serious snowfall!

This is my 2nd winter in FL... stays pretty warm throughout.

geoffsherman
12-15-2008, 04:00 PM
damn, it's 69F here in virginia today, lol

Don't laugh for long. I live in Arkansas and it was 70 here yesterday and its 17 today. Coming your way :)

geoffsherman
12-15-2008, 04:04 PM
I have two good "cold" stories. When I lived in Chicago, I worked out at a really old powerlifting gym. I am talking flooring ripped up, ceiling half exposed, and support beams falling down. Needless to say, there was no heat or air conditioning in this place. The first morning when it was really cold that I worked out there, I thought I was going to die. I walked in at 8 AM and outside it was 15 below zero farenheit. It was maybe 10 degrees in this place. The barbells were so cold that I gave up and had to bench with my gloves on. I didn't need to do board presses because I had about 3 thick shirts on which equaled a board. Now this gym was just the opposite in the summer. Chicago will usually get a couple of days in the upper 90s or near 100 with stifling humidity. One day I was deadlifting and just soaked in sweat from my warm up. I kept chalking up but the sweat dissolved the chalk in no time. I go to max out so I am really chalked and as I am lifting, the bar completely slips out of my hands and one side falls into the floor (as I said, this place was old). I walked up to the owner and told him that I had added to the gym's war wounds and pointed to the hole in the floor.

jed
12-15-2008, 05:07 PM
a few years ago, we had a serious storm hit us in iowa. 'operation winterstorm' we called it. knocked the power out for weeks, as you will see with the pictures. didnt have school for about 11 school days. most businesses were out of service for about 3 days until they got emergency generators running! it was incredible though, and ill never forget the experience. one of the most beautiful things ive witnessed!

guess how long it took to de-ice this baby... (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v626/jediman/100_1740.jpg)
who knows what it is? it's damn beautiful thats for sure! (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v626/jediman/100_1753.jpg)
this pair of ice skates really lives up to its name. (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v626/jediman/100_1756.jpg)
75 yards away from my house... very very eery. (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v626/jediman/100_1768.jpg)

you should move this to general chat - would get alot more attention and stories!!

ZenMonkey
12-15-2008, 05:15 PM
Ice cave. Peru.

It was cold.

rbtrout
12-15-2008, 05:30 PM
It's "cold" here in So Cal, maybe 55 degrees and raining. Snow in the mountains.
When I was a kid and lived near Chicago, we walked to and from school (uphill both ways, of course and no shoes). The coldest I remember was 22 below with the wind chill of -20, so -42. It was a running joke at school to see who had the most close on. If school was closed, we'd wait until the snow plow/sand dropper went by and then water down the street to play hockey from driveway to driveway across the street.

Here in CA, up in the mountains, they make you pull over and chain up. I've noticed in Wyoming there are places that have a gate that comes down and a sign that says turn around and go home. That's some serious weather there.

deeder
12-15-2008, 06:02 PM
Regina, Saskatchewan.

Jonah
12-15-2008, 06:38 PM
New England is a bitch to deal with during the winter cause it screws with your head.

The temperature never gets as low in some other places but the wind chill cuts like glass.

It especially sucks when it's negative with the wind chill and there is no snow on the ground. It makes your skin feel like freezer burn.

Then two days later it's 50 degrees outside and sunny. Mark Twain hit the nail on the head. "If you don't like the weather in New England, just wait a few minutes."

geoffsherman
12-15-2008, 06:59 PM
Ice cave. Peru.

It was cold.

What did you do for GPP? :eek:

SGT ROCK
12-15-2008, 07:54 PM
At Austins gym in Rumford, Maine many times we would enter the gym during tough financial times and we could literally see our breath in the gym before we would fire up the kerosine heater. We would then deadlift for hours and warm up quick. That was after a 45 minute drive through the mountains through a foot of snow in four wheel drive low the whole way. That gym is easily my favorite of ALL TIME, with one man I have the most respect for, the best master lifter of all time....RICHARD AUSTIN.

Semper Fi

ZenMonkey
12-15-2008, 07:56 PM
What did you do for GPP? :eek:

What do you mean?

HP666
12-15-2008, 07:57 PM
You guys should pull up your skirts, stop whining about the cold, and get outside and push the Prowler.

fulldaddy
12-15-2008, 08:24 PM
Thanks for the advice Paul Sr. I forgot - a group of guys sharing stories was a waste of your time. I'll get right on fixing the exhaust :hello: