PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Powerlifting

GerSmith
12-15-2008, 04:40 PM
Hi,

I am planning to work and live in chicago for 12 weeks during the months of June-Aug of 2009. So far I THINK i might be staying in the 60657 zip area. Does anybody know of any local powerlifting gyms or clubs in this area or closest one to it?

Thanks guys.

geoffsherman
12-15-2008, 06:21 PM
There are two that I would recommend. One is called Quads and it is near the Red Line El stop in Wrigleyville. Great setup, Ed Coan trained at another Quads location. There is another place called B&W which is a little farther north that has the best setup in the city. My old gym is called Rock Hard Gym, very old school place with lots of equipment and weights. It is in Bucktown and only open from 4-10 during the week and 9-5 on weekends. So there are 3. I am jealous, you will be in CHicago for the 3 best months of the year by far!

Pete22
12-15-2008, 06:22 PM
Looks like you're going to be staying on the North Side, there's B&W Gym (www.bwgym.com) and Quad's Gym (www.quadsgym.com). B&W is pretty hardcore, it looks like a dungeon in the basement of a building. Quad's has an amazing amount of equipment and is where Ed Coan trains or used to train I believe. Check out the websites.

Pete22
12-15-2008, 06:23 PM
There are two that I would recommend. One is called Quads and it is near the Red Line El stop in Wrigleyville. Great setup, Ed Coan trained at another Quads location. There is another place called B&W which is a little farther north that has the best setup in the city. My old gym is called Rock Hard Gym, very old school place with lots of equipment and weights. It is in Bucktown and only open from 4-10 during the week and 9-5 on weekends. So there are 3. I am jealous, you will be in CHicago for the 3 best months of the year by far!

I like your style. :hello:

geoffsherman
12-15-2008, 06:58 PM
My wife and I miss Chicago tremendously. I especially miss not having a real powerlifting gym or group of guys nearby. I think at some point I have been to most of the gyms that are within 10 miles of downtown (Leaning Tower, Lance's, Performance, and the 3 I mentioned).

RHarris
12-15-2008, 10:32 PM
It may not be right in your neighborhood, but if you are going to be in the Chicago area, Ernie Frantz's gym is there in Aurora, IL. Ernie is not only a PL legend, but a great guy as well.

Robert Harris
Las Vegas, NV

GerSmith
12-16-2008, 02:52 AM
hey guys,

I looked up the distance between where i will be and where Frantz gym is, i think it's a little too far away. Quads is a 10min journey, and i think i'd end up creaming myself if i knew Ed coan is going to be training there, that would be awesome! Checked out the website and there is no contact info? I understand there are two different gyms??

I'm excited to be going. Ill be living and working there for those couple of weeks so i plan to do a bit of partying too, but need to keep my training going for the world champs which will be Nov of that year. thanks for the replies !

Erik 23
12-16-2008, 05:13 AM
hey guys,

I looked up the distance between where i will be and where Frantz gym is, i think it's a little too far away. Quads is a 10min journey, and i think i'd end up creaming myself if i knew Ed coan is going to be training there, that would be awesome! Checked out the website and there is no contact info? I understand there are two different gyms??

I'm excited to be going. Ill be living and working there for those couple of weeks so i plan to do a bit of partying too, but need to keep my training going for the world champs which will be Nov of that year. thanks for the replies !

Cal City Quads Gym Inc
www.quadsgym.com

745 Torrence Ave
Calumet City, IL 60409
(708) 862-9779
Get directions

This is the one that Ed Coan trains at.

Ryano
12-16-2008, 05:16 AM
Eric Stone trains a team at Velocity Sports in Willowbrook(SW burb of Chicago). Checkout Chicagopowerlifting.com .

GerSmith
12-16-2008, 09:11 AM
Cal City Quads Gym Inc
www.quadsgym.com

745 Torrence Ave
Calumet City, IL 60409
(708) 862-9779
Get directions

This is the one that Ed Coan trains at.

Thanks for this. Unfortunately that is going to be a little out of my reach. 44mins away from me, by car (which i wont have) according to google maps :(

Ryano: thanks for this, I looked it up, it's only a weekend supervised deal so that doesnt work for me, but again, thanks for that.