PDA

View Full Version : something popped in my elbow

huskybear
12-15-2008, 09:27 PM
Well, I was doing tate presses tonight and I felt something pop in the tip of my left elbow... I've been having trouble with this elbow for ever, having never been able to straighten it and properly flex my tricep in about 8 years... lots of treatment but nothing seems to work... anyway, it went pop, felt lots of pain and weakness... I know that a doctor visit is in order, but will likely be a couple of days before I get an appointment with the family doc... was toying with the hospital if it continues to get more painful... anyone had similar experience and what did you do to help recovery?

Just need a little guidance before I get in to the doc's office... icing it now, but elbow joint feels like it's filling with fluid... been about an hour and half since it occurred

Thanks folks!

Ben Moore
12-15-2008, 09:31 PM
Any bruising?

Travis Bell
12-15-2008, 09:33 PM
Yikes. that doesn't sound good.

If it swells and there is bruising in the morning or sometime tomorrow, you tore something. Have you taken some ibuprofen? Ice is very good.

If there is bruising in the AM, get to the doc, even if you have to go to the hospital, get it checked out

huskybear
12-15-2008, 09:35 PM
there's a red gap appearing on the tip of my elbow now, and there is a hole on the outside of my elbow when I try to flex it... I'm thinking hospital might be a good call

KarstenDD
12-15-2008, 09:42 PM
ummm, yes.

Travis Bell
12-15-2008, 09:43 PM
I agree with Karsten.

Go get in the car pal. That thing is going to be in a world of pain in the morning.

You probably tore something

ELmx479
12-15-2008, 09:50 PM
Well, I was doing tate presses tonight and I felt something pop in the tip of my left elbow... I've been having trouble with this elbow for ever, having never been able to straighten it and properly flex my tricep in about 8 years... lots of treatment but nothing seems to work... anyway, it went pop, felt lots of pain and weakness... I know that a doctor visit is in order, but will likely be a couple of days before I get an appointment with the family doc... was toying with the hospital if it continues to get more painful... anyone had similar experience and what did you do to help recovery?

Just need a little guidance before I get in to the doc's office... icing it now, but elbow joint feels like it's filling with fluid... been about an hour and half since it occurred

Thanks folks!

My elbow is the exact same way. I can't straighten my arm either. It will click and pop at times and sometimes be very painful. It won't allow me to do a few lifts also. Mine has been like this for a good 10 years. When I went to you doctor they said it wasn't bad enough to operate on. Yours is much more serious at the moment. Good luck with it and let me know the details.

huskybear
12-16-2008, 06:21 PM
Ok... didn't go to the ER last night, simply it's a small town and would have been wasted trip, so instead was able to get some sleep and saw family doctor today... x-ray was negative and she won't book an MRI... she's thinking that I may have simply opened up some scar tissue in the joint and maybe tore some cartilage... there was no bruising today and the redness is now gone... it hurts to touch and basic extension (i.e. even getting out of a chair) hurts right in the elbow... her solution is rest, ice, painkiller as needed, give it time... when the idea of torn tendon was put to her she stated that it's possible but with no noticeable change in rotation, strength and movement/mobility, with the exception of extension, she's doubts it... if the pain gets worse she said to come back and then she'll consider referrals and even the MRI...

So I'm resting, icing it and now trying to figure ways to train around it so it heals... I'm thinking not doing any movement for the upper body that hurts the elbow even remotely? Opinions welcome!

Ben Moore
12-16-2008, 06:28 PM
go get a second opinion or go to an open MRI yourself to rule it out.