PDA

View Full Version : meals before workout?

SANDMAN75
12-16-2008, 08:54 AM
how long before my workout should i have my last big meal and how long before should i have a preworkout snack?
also should i have a whey shake immediatley before and after my workout?
thanks.

jtrink
12-17-2008, 10:25 AM
i have my whey shake about 30 minutes b4 working out and immediately after working out. The post workout shake is very important. the only thing i eat an hour b4 lifting is applesauce with my shake.

KingWilder
12-17-2008, 10:46 AM
I usually work out fasted, but that's another story

Large meal - 2 hours prior
small meal - 1 hour prior
small snack (shake or apple, etc) - 30 min. prior

*this doesn't mean do all 3...just a typical guideline depending on the time frame and size of meal

smalls
12-17-2008, 11:49 AM
It's really not going to make that big of a difference provided your nutrition for the day is in line and nothing is being done too drastically. I used to freak out about eating 1 hour before every workout. Now I sometimes go 2.5 hours after a meal then train. Post workout nutrition is important, but again. You will not gain from it if your overal diet isnt in line. i would eat simple carbs and protein as soon after the workout as possible and eat before a workout whenever you are comfortable. But make sure your calories for the day are there every single day.

Kenny Croxdale
12-18-2008, 08:51 AM
See post below.

bill
12-18-2008, 08:55 AM
I use to be like smalls until one of my larger friends would be eating a sandwich on the way to the gym. Just be careful not to overeat before and for me sometimes I have to watch what I eat before (just so I don't get sick).

Kenny Croxdale
12-18-2008, 08:58 AM
i have my whey shake about 30 minutes b4 working out and immediately after working out. The post workout shake is very important. the only thing i eat an hour b4 lifting is applesauce with my shake.

Like jtrink, you want to consume something about 30-60 minutes before your workout. The pre workout beverage is even more important than the your post workout beverage.

Think of it this way. If you knew you were going to have a heart attack would it be better to take some medication before hand minimize the devastation or wait until you have the heart attack and take some medication.

The same applies with resistance training. Dr John Ivy provides some great research on this in his book, Nutrient Timing. The book is short, easy to read and inexpensive. You can get a used copy at for about $7.00 plus shipping. http://www.amazon.com/Nutrient-Timing-Future-Sports-Nutrition/dp/1591201411

What you also want to do is to consume something during your workout and after it as well. Doing so, enhances recovery.

Research show one of the best beverages for you pre, during and post workout is low fat chocolate milk. http://greenjersey.wordpress.com/2008/09/05/chocolate-milk-may-be-the-perfect-sports-drink/

Kenny Croxdale

Doobs
12-18-2008, 10:13 AM
Research show one of the best beverages for you pre, during and post workout is low fat chocolate milk. http://greenjersey.wordpress.com/2008/09/05/chocolate-milk-may-be-the-perfect-sports-drink/

That article compares low-fat chocolate milk with sports drinks and soy protein drinks. I don't think anyone in here calls gatorade by itself a good post-workout drink, and most PWO drinks have whey or a blend, not soy.

Ben Moore
12-18-2008, 10:41 AM
Yes, and for the masses low fat chocolate milk is readily available...

That article compares low-fat chocolate milk with sports drinks and soy protein drinks. I don't think anyone in here calls gatorade by itself a good post-workout drink, and most PWO drinks have whey or a blend, not soy.

Holto
12-18-2008, 10:47 AM

Yeah the problem with that study, and the skim milk one from last summer, is that hardcore bb's were not represented.

I suspect 75g's of dex and 40g's of whey would trump what was studied thus far.

RhodeHouse
12-18-2008, 12:14 PM
Yeah the problem with that study, and the skim milk one from last summer, is that hardcore bb's were not represented.

I suspect 75g's of dex and 40g's of whey would trump what was studied thus far.

I've used 100g of carbs and 25g of whey plus BCAA's with great success. My goal is to gain weight, hence the super-high carb intake.

Holto
12-18-2008, 02:23 PM
Yeah exactly Rhodes, I don't know too many bb's or PL's that don't take in SOME kind of protein. I was going up to 150g's of dex/malto on leg days, loved it.

Detard
12-19-2008, 09:15 AM
Mcdonalds usually seems to give me a good boost before a workout.

RhodeHouse
12-19-2008, 10:22 PM
Mcdonalds usually seems to give me a good boost before a workout.

The Lord's food.

Crossclinger
12-30-2008, 02:13 PM
Personally like to workout on an empty stomach and drink plenty of water before and during workout. But thats just me. Don't like the food in the stomach feeling. I have fasted for as long as 9 days so I know you won't die if you miss a meal.

BFGUITAR
12-30-2008, 02:17 PM
Meal 2 hours before
Protein shake hour-half hour before
40g sugar half hour-15 min before