PDA

View Full Version : What is a "Bent over Good Morning"

OGROK
12-16-2008, 08:05 PM
Was reading some stuff by Louie and he keeps referring to these, does anyone know what he's talking about?

jbrin0tk
12-16-2008, 08:15 PM
A good morning is a lift that targets the posterior chain. There are many variations, but in its simplest form you put the loaded barbell on your back (about how you would when you squat) and bend over. You can change the exercise somewhat by varying your stance, arching or rounding your back, doing concentric GM's (where the bar is resting on some chains and you lift it from the bottom position), bent legs or straight legs, etc. Hope that helps.

Travis Bell
12-16-2008, 08:18 PM
Actually in the next month or two, we'll have a video exampling what GM's look like at Westside

OGROK
12-16-2008, 08:23 PM
He is talking about a rounded back good morning, right?

Aren't these a little dangerous to be using as a max effort (or anywhere close to max effort)?

Travis Bell
12-16-2008, 08:38 PM
Well there are two types, rounded back and arched back GM's. If you're new to this type of movement, I wouldn't recommend it.

What you might be thinking of is suspended GM's which are used a lot at Westside. We'll hang the chain from different heights so it forces you to start from a bent over position.

OGROK
12-16-2008, 10:21 PM
This is what I'm talking about:

Our training is comprised of squatting or arched-back good mornings one week and bent-over good mornings the next week. You must bend over because the back has flexion. We use a wide assortment of cambered bars to change the leverage.

How do we train heavy continuously? The answer is to pick several special barbell exercises for a particular lift, for example, the deadlift. The good morning is very similar in motion to deadlifting. A conventional deadlifter will, no doubt, bend over. Therefore, bent over good mornings will increase the deadlift. But remember, when doing the good morning, in your brain, you must duplicate the action of your deadlift precisely. It is not so important to raise your good morning as to raise your deadlift by performing the good morning. We do many types of good mornings, for example, with a Safety Squat bar suspended from chains. But remember to use the same body mechanics as you do in the deadlift.

What does he mean by "bent-over good mornings". Are they rounded back good mornings? Some kind of concentric good morning? What are they?

EatMyWay2TheTop
12-17-2008, 04:59 AM
This is what I'm talking about:

What does he mean by "bent-over good mornings". Are they rounded back good mornings? Some kind of concentric good morning? What are they?

I'd say something like chain suspended goodmornings since it makes you start from the bottom.

EatMyWay2TheTop
12-17-2008, 05:01 AM
Actually in the next month or two, we'll have a video exampling what GM's look like at Westside

Great. Travis just a question if you don't mind, how often does the 3 lifts guys pull at Westside, including speed and rack pulls ?