PDA

View Full Version : Possible tear / pull

TJM
12-17-2008, 04:55 PM
I think I just pulled or possibly tore my lat. I lifted 700. Locked it out on while I was holding it I felt my lat move... now it feels weird and I think it's gonna hurt a lot tomorrow. How should I treat it NOW? Heat ice? god this sucks..

HP666
12-17-2008, 05:26 PM
How bad does it hurt now? Is the area discolored at all; i.e. black and blue??

TJM
12-17-2008, 05:31 PM
How bad does it hurt now? Is the area discolored at all; i.e. black and blue??

It doesn't hurt. It feels like ... a "stale" feeling in the muscle and it is very warm. I wasn't discolored at all until I took a shower when the area turned red.

bill
12-17-2008, 05:47 PM
Hope it's not bad but I would schedule a doctors visit.

vdizenzo
12-17-2008, 05:54 PM
If you tore something you'd know it. It sounds like velcro pulling apart.

TJM
12-17-2008, 06:33 PM
If you tore something you'd know it. It sounds like velcro pulling apart.

I was listening to my ipod so i didn't hear anything. It felt like a muscle twitch or a pull that ran along my lat. I think I had a similar injury to my erector not too long ago.. not as bad but it felt the same way when it happened. I don't feel any pain right now, I guess I'll just have to wait till tomorrow to see what it feels like.
I'm putting ice on it now, is that good to do right after?

jtrink
12-17-2008, 06:37 PM
possibly try this:

R.I.C.E. (Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation) - treatment plan for acute injury to prevent inflammatory processes from becoming uncontrolled and to speed up the recovery process by eliminating swelling; acute injury management.

I'm by no means a doctor, but when i hurt my wrist this is what I did that night, and it took some of the swelling down. See a doc if it's really bad.

Travis Bell
12-17-2008, 06:41 PM
It could have just cramped. I've had that happen before.

If it doesn't hurt now, I'd say its a safe guess you're alright. If however it bruises in the morning, get it checked out

Usually when someone tears something, they are in pain immediatly and there is swelling

TJM
12-17-2008, 06:50 PM
It could have just cramped. I've had that happen before.

If it doesn't hurt now, I'd say its a safe guess you're alright. If however it bruises in the morning, get it checked out

Usually when someone tears something, they are in pain immediatly and there is swelling

That's good to hear. Do you think active release would help the day after? I have some scheduled for my chest tomorrow anyway and was thinking of asking the guy to work on this too now. Or should I just rest it for a while?

Travis Bell
12-17-2008, 06:55 PM
Let it rest.

OneLiftOneKill
12-17-2008, 08:16 PM
I had this injury before doing heavy bent over rows. It pulled my muscle right around the lat next to my chest. I was in pain for a month and then only a little for the second month, but just benched and squatted around it and in about two months it was perfect. It happened about 2 years ago and it is 100% healed and ready to go for a long time now.

Make sure you check for bruising in the days to come and do not do back during this time or deadlifts because it hurts (not that I feel pain) and you will have no strength there and can risk tearing it.

TJM
12-18-2008, 07:15 AM
I feel completely normal today.:) Maybe it was just a cramp like Travis said. I've never had that happen before, weird feeling that totally ruined me enjoying my new PR. Still going to rest though. thanks guys.

=Travis=
12-18-2008, 09:29 AM
I was listening to my ipod so i didn't hear anything. It felt like a muscle twitch or a pull that ran along my lat. I think I had a similar injury to my erector not too long ago.. not as bad but it felt the same way when it happened. I don't feel any pain right now, I guess I'll just have to wait till tomorrow to see what it feels like.
I'm putting ice on it now, is that good to do right after?

Ipod or not, you'd know. I was listening to mine, very loud, when I lost a tendon and ripped my calf, I heard it. And with the feel of it, you could tell right away that it tore - I could actually feel the tearing away.

Ben Moore
12-18-2008, 10:06 AM
possibly try this:

R.I.C.E. (Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation) - treatment plan for acute injury to prevent inflammatory processes from becoming uncontrolled and to speed up the recovery process by eliminating swelling; acute injury management.

I'm by no means a doctor, but when i hurt my wrist this is what I did that night, and it took some of the swelling down. See a doc if it's really bad.

How do you elevate a lat?:hello:

rbtrout
12-18-2008, 10:11 AM
"How do you elevate a lat?"
I was actually wondering that, as well.

Glad you're OK, TJM, stuff like that is scary and sucks.