PDA

View Full Version : ME Bench 12.17.08

Travis Bell
12-17-2008, 08:34 PM
Eric Talmant asked that I send him a video of myself doing a 475lb paused bench so after working up to that, I thought I'd do some doubles. Didn't go as planned. Did 500 for two sets of singles (not videoed for some reason) which were both sloppy and off.

Included are video of the 475 which was alright, but when i tried to switch back to touch and go, things fell apart. I did not do well this workout.

This workout helped me decide what I need to do from here on out, but it was a little frustrating at the same time because it just wasn't a good performance.

Vincent, I'm wondering, do you think that all my ME sets should be paused from now until the meet (there will be a slight pause at the meet I was told)?

Also, let me know what you think of the form. I felt like I couldn't get my lats into it today, which IMO is why I failed on the second rep with 485, but I might be wrong about that.

This week will be considered my deload. Time to really get to work

J0L-Q-vEjEE

vdizenzo
12-17-2008, 08:52 PM
Form looked fairly good to me. Nothing that I can really tell from that. It takes a big man to post one of his not so great performances. Meanwhile, what you consider not a good performance 99% of the population would kill for. What did your entire raw bench look like tonight in regards to weight and reps including warm ups?

vdizenzo
12-17-2008, 08:56 PM
Looks like you had no real pop or leg drive. I gotta tell you, my raw form has now changed completely to assist me equipped bench. You may have to change up form a bit to maximize your raw. We'll work on it. Keep the vids coming. I have not been to your log in a little bit. I'll check it out tomorrow night. Time for bed for the big guy.

vdizenzo
12-17-2008, 08:58 PM
By the way, yes, get press calls on all of your singles from now on. Now it's really time for bed.

huskybear
12-17-2008, 09:00 PM
Form looked fairly good to me. Nothing that I can really tell from that. It takes a big man to post one of his not so great performances. Meanwhile, what you consider not a good performance 99% of the population would kill for. What did your entire raw bench look like tonight in regards to weight and reps including warm ups?

LMAO, my thoughts exactly... Well done Travis... when you get whatever you think you need to improve together, should be even more impressive than this was! Which was pretty frickin' sweet!

Ryan Celli
12-17-2008, 09:18 PM
Travis,
First I'm glad you'll be doing the RUM!
Second, your 485 paused looked perfect.
So you had a slightly off day, that happens bro! Funny thing is my top set of 2 full range touch and go was off too. I ended up doing some 2 boards after and felt 100% better for some reason.
Keep up the good work.
ps. i seen the vid you edited for me ...looks good thanks!

Travis Bell
12-17-2008, 09:20 PM
You're right Vin. I shouldn't take for granted what I've been gifted with thus far. I do appreciate the compliments. I guess I was just aggrivated because I know I'm capable of more given what I've done in past workouts. Figured I'd post it in a thread so all could learn from my mistakes.

I will pause my benches from here on out. Thanks for that. I really wasn't sure how to approach that part.

Bench portion of the workout went

barx12
135x10
225x3
315x1 - paused
405x1 - paused
475x1 - paused
500x1 - touch and go
500x1 - touch and go - was looking for a double on both of these sets but just had nothing off the chest
455x2
485x1 - failed on second rep

too much volume probably. I was just trying to find my groove, but it eluded me today.

Ok, so watch the video once more, is it just me or am I anticipating the bar hitting my chest by pushing my belly up a little too far? This wouldn't give me as much to push with on the leg drive.

I was also thinking of throwing in some cambered bar (probably off a 2brd)? Good idea or bad?

Thanks a ton for the help man. I really appreciate it.

Erik 23
12-17-2008, 10:14 PM
Travis those didnt look too bad.maybe your just tired,ya know work school all those things play a factor in your training.475 and 485 looked good to me,but yeah usually your a little more explosive off the chest to day was just a off day it happens.Im kinda in the same boat for the last couple of months my bench has went down.like usually i have good leg drive and power off the chest but now i feel like i cant push anymore also.Idk what happened.so im just saying this to let you know your not alone the bench is a hard lift to keep consistant.Best of luck with your training and for that Raw unity meet.

mosley1990
12-17-2008, 10:16 PM
Off day or not you did a great job man. Excellent work, Travis!

Brian Hopper
12-18-2008, 08:33 AM
Travis, I couldn't tell but I thought that when you perform JM presses you bend at the elbows like a nose breaker but more towards the neckline. Well at least that's what I've been told.

Travis Bell
12-18-2008, 08:58 AM
You are and I am too, it just looks weird because of the position of the camera in relation to my budda

Brian Hopper
12-18-2008, 10:17 AM
so you do perform them like a nose breaker?

abebesheir
12-19-2008, 03:25 PM
Let me just start by saying, I'd really consider giving up my left nut for a bench like yours...
But seriously, the 475x1 was nice and smooth, the 455x2 was really fast... quicker than my near maximal touch-and-go doubles.
The first rep at 485 looked good, a nice legal pause... you lost your attempted second rep at the top when your left arm dipped just a little bit.
As far as paused work versus touch-and-go... I like to mix the two up.
Here was my final workout before a 12/13 meet where I benched 305 for a 2nd and missed 325 (badly) for a third:

Warm ups
45x10
135x6 for 2 sets
205x2
Work sets
250x1 paused
275x1 paused
300x1 paused
245x2 paused
265x2 first rep paused
295x2 touch-and-go
250x3x3 last rep of each set paused

Before that workout, I had done this:

warm ups
250x1 paused
275x1 paused
300x1 touch-and-go
275x2 for 5 sets touch-and-go
225/215/205x3 paused w/legs up

Travis Bell
12-19-2008, 06:13 PM
so you do perform them like a nose breaker?

somewhat, you angle your wrists forward and bring the bar towards your throat. You have to make sure your elbows are doing the bending though, not your shoulders. Most people I see do these end up making it a close grip bench off the upper chest

Brian Hopper
12-19-2008, 08:26 PM
somewhat, you angle your wrists forward and bring the bar towards your throat. You have to make sure your elbows are doing the bending though, not your shoulders. Most people I see do these end up making it a close grip bench off the upper chest

thanks for the tip!!