PDA

View Full Version : Need some help squatting

ThePunisherson
12-19-2008, 09:56 PM
Ok guys, I really like this forum, especially since there is a lot of pros on here that put their input in which is freaking awesome, but I am having some trouble squatting, (as usual) and need some assistance. Okay I made a thread a while ago about doing a high bar or a low bar when squatting, and said that the high bar made a huge difference with my forward pitching and elbow positioning, however it hurts like a bitch when I use a high bar so I am steady using a low bar, however, I cannot, I mean CANNOT get my elbows under the bar...I mean to create that shelf, I pull my shoulders blades back and try to touch my elbows together, but to create that shelf, my elbows are behind me(like up)..you ever see how greg panora or hell all of those guys in the recent videos of westside and squatting, all of their elbows are behind them, none of them are directly under the bar, I don't feel like you can create a steady base for them, any input would help.....does anyone else feel this way?

ThePunisherson
12-21-2008, 10:05 PM
come on guys...

HP666
12-21-2008, 10:14 PM
come on guys...

Come on.

Ben Moore
12-21-2008, 10:17 PM
Take a video and post it.

ThePunisherson
12-21-2008, 10:26 PM
Come on.

Thanks for the input man...way to be an ass lol

HP666
12-21-2008, 10:26 PM
Stand up and pretend you have a dumbbell in each hand, and you are about to do a military press above your head with the dumbbells. Your fists should be in line with your ears, palms forward, with your thumbs in toward your ears. Drop your elbows a couple inches and squeeze your shoulder blades together. Are your elbows still facing the floor, pointing at the floor?

ThePunisherson
12-21-2008, 10:27 PM
Take a video and post it.

I would but I don't have a video camera, I have a cell phone but thats gonna look like poop, hold on I will see if my sister can do it, she has a digital camera, thanks

HP666
12-21-2008, 10:36 PM
Come on guys. Where'd you go Houdini? That's some disappearing act.

EatMyWay2TheTop
12-22-2008, 05:50 AM
Did you try to play with hands position on the bar ? I know putting my hands near the collar like most of the big guys cause me to lose tightness in the upper back and my elbows point back. You may try to experiment with this.

johnnyo_99
12-22-2008, 07:06 AM
just keeping working at it, you know what your problem is so keep practicing and keep getting stronger. flexibility will come in due time.

Brad08
12-22-2008, 07:32 AM
it hurts like a bitch when I use a high bar so I am steady using a low bar

If the bar resting on your back causes you too much pain, perhaps you should find a new hobby.

ThePunisherson
12-22-2008, 01:48 PM
If the bar resting on your back causes you too much pain, perhaps you should find a new hobby.

I was thinking about taking up tap dancing, that seems fun......if you read my post right I said HIGH BAR hurts, I am not used to doing it that way, but was trying it out because the only way you can really have your elbows pointing directly down is if you have a high bar position, or if you use a low bar, your hands have to be extremely close to your sides (like most of the russian ipf guys).....having upwards of 600 pounds on your back will cause a little discomfort on your back, especially rear delt and lower trap area, maybe you never had that much weight on your back before...

mastermonster
12-23-2008, 02:10 AM
You may have to start looking at this as more of a long term fix instead of short term. Start concentrating on building the muscle thickness of your traps and upper back and rear delts to create that platform of muscle for the bar to sit on. If that area is bony it will hurt to have a heavy bar sitting on the upper traps. I remember carrying the bar lower earlier in my career because it was more comfortable. But as my squat got heavier I found it harder to stay upright and not get bent over during the squat. I found that I had to really work my trap and rear delts to create the muscle (pad) to carry the bar higher on and stay upright and sit back. If you watch most 1000+ squatters you'll see that they carry the bar fairly high, have a wider stance and stay very much upright as they squat. I've had as much as 1030 on my back (straps down), directly on the traps without pain. It feels heavy as **** but it doesn't hurt. Look at how high Sam Byrd carries the bar and then look at how thickly his traps are developed. Hope this helps.

RhodeHouse
12-23-2008, 06:21 AM
I was thinking about taking up tap dancing, that seems fun......if you read my post right I said HIGH BAR hurts, I am not used to doing it that way, but was trying it out because the only way you can really have your elbows pointing directly down is if you have a high bar position, or if you use a low bar, your hands have to be extremely close to your sides (like most of the russian ipf guys).....having upwards of 600 pounds on your back will cause a little discomfort on your back, especially rear delt and lower trap area, maybe you never had that much weight on your back before...

I've had 1000 on my back before and you have no idea what you're talking about. I have absolutely no problem having a very low bar position and keeping my elbows under the bar while my hands are out by the collars. Stop watching the Russians. Communism didn't work. Why do you think they're squatting is any better. Watch Chuck Vogelpohl and Brent Mikesell. Perfect form.

chris mason
12-23-2008, 07:34 AM
I think you are trying too hard. Just put the bar on your back and squat. Are you worried you are going to lose the bar on your back? Why have you moved the bar high? Do you want to be a powerlifter, or just strong? What is your goal?