PDA

View Full Version : Safe Amount of Weight to gain per week?

jtrink
12-20-2008, 08:05 PM
Currently bulking. I am 5'10 and two weeks into my bulk. I started at 164 and weighed in yesterday at 168.8. I didn't really gain any weight my first week, so I guess I'm gaining 4 lbs per week. I was just curious about other members average weight gain per week during a bulk? I don't want to gain weight too fast, causing me to gain more an excess amount of fat. I know fat gain is expected during a bulk. If your curious about my diet, my journal link is in my sig.

TopCat
12-20-2008, 08:21 PM
Your first week or 2 will have a higher gain due to an increase in food consumption and water weight, or it better be. You'll have higher glycogen levels in your muscles more food in your stomach, intestines, and bowels. After all that you shouldn't gain that much or if you were I'd taper it down quite a bit, at ~4 lbs a week you will be gaining mostly fat.

KarstenDD
12-20-2008, 08:32 PM
Dude you gained 4 pounds in 2 weeks. Eat a lot more.

Ben Moore
12-20-2008, 08:47 PM
Dude you gained 4 pounds in 2 weeks. Eat a lot more.

My thoughts exactly - I fluctuate 8lbs in a day...

Dingus
12-20-2008, 08:53 PM
Your 168 lbs, you can't gain too much weight.

WillNoble
12-20-2008, 08:56 PM
My thoughts exactly - I fluctuate 8lbs in a day...

Same here, so funny to weight first thing after dropping my morning deuce, After lunch and my mid-day Deuce, then weighing at the end of the day before my evening deuce...

jtrink
12-20-2008, 09:00 PM
alright, if i gain another 4 lbs next week, ill taper it off in week 4.

Dingus
12-20-2008, 09:09 PM
Same here, so funny to weight first thing after dropping my morning deuce, After lunch and my mid-day Deuce, then weighing at the end of the day before my evening deuce...

That's only 3 poops a day, whats going on with that? 4 poops minimum.

Dingus
12-20-2008, 09:10 PM
alright, if i gain another 4 lbs next week, ill taper it off in week 4.

If you gain another 4 lbs, count it as a great success, award yourself with a #1 and try to gain another 4 lbs the following week.

jtrink
12-20-2008, 10:42 PM
it's easily possible with the holiday's coming up. my stomach is so stretched out i need food every 2 hours at the minimum.

Dingus
12-21-2008, 12:15 AM
it's easily possible with the holiday's coming up. my stomach is so stretched out i need food every 2 hours at the minimum.

Congratulations, stretched out stomach=progress.

smalls
12-21-2008, 01:54 AM
Currently bulking. I am 5'10 and two weeks into my bulk. I started at 164 and weighed in yesterday at 168.8. I didn't really gain any weight my first week, so I guess I'm gaining 4 lbs per week. I was just curious about other members average weight gain per week during a bulk? I don't want to gain weight too fast, causing me to gain more an excess amount of fat. I know fat gain is expected during a bulk. If your curious about my diet, my journal link is in my sig.

It's going to be personal. And what you gain in the first week+ doesnt account for much, a lot of it will be water, glycogen and undigested food. I have gained 14lbs in 14 days on two seperate occasions but it doesnt mean much when it's not tissue weight. But 4 lbs a week, or even a continued 4 lbs per two weeks consistently is going to mean plenty of fat gain. If you keep gaining at that rate you will gain fat, just depends if the rate at which you gain is worth it to you. For someone who doesnt mind looking fat and has other goals that's fine, but you already stated you want to limit fat gain. You have to gain fat to gain muscle, your genetics and how fast you want to gain are going to dictate the ratio.

jtrink
12-21-2008, 08:28 AM
It's going to be personal. And what you gain in the first week+ doesnt account for much, a lot of it will be water, glycogen and undigested food. I have gained 14lbs in 14 days on two seperate occasions but it doesnt mean much when it's not tissue weight. But 4 lbs a week, or even a continued 4 lbs per two weeks consistently is going to mean plenty of fat gain. If you keep gaining at that rate you will gain fat, just depends if the rate at which you gain is worth it to you. For someone who doesnt mind looking fat and has other goals that's fine, but you already stated you want to limit fat gain. You have to gain fat to gain muscle, your genetics and how fast you want to gain are going to dictate the ratio.

thank you for the explanation. ill just keep eating.