PDA

View Full Version : Low Carbs

TheGMan
12-21-2008, 09:12 AM
Has anyone ever tried the Low or No carb plans?

I have tried the TNT diet before and that wasnt bad i quite enyoyed it but a lot of pople have been banging on about no carbs for 4 weeks?

Any thoughts? I just think that would be dam boring and i woud be starving al the time!!

Cheers

Mike

Kenny Croxdale
12-21-2008, 10:08 AM
Has anyone ever tried the Low or No carb plans?

I have tried the TNT diet before and that wasnt bad i quite enyoyed it but a lot of pople have been banging on about no carbs for 4 weeks?

Any thoughts? I just think that would be dam boring and i woud be starving al the time!!

Cheers

Mike

Mike,

I did a version of The Atkin's Diet (Ketogenic Diet), a few times. It was Dr Maurio DiPasquale's "Anabolic Diet." The "Anabolic Diet" is a 5 day high protein/high fat/low carbohydrate diet. Then for two days, you carb load.

Cutting carbohydrates forces your body into buring fat. Also, some carbohydrates are elevate insulin.

When insulin levels are elevated, you body is storing body fat.

However, insulin is also a very anabolic hormone. By consuming high glycemic index foods at the right time, you spike insulin levels. Thus, placing the muscles in anabolic or anti-catabolic state.

DiPasquale has modified the "Anabolic Diet" a bit to the "Metabolic Diet", which allow more carbohydrate consumpiton.

The goal of the diet is to manipulate hormones to increase muscle and decrease body fat. DiPasquale believes it is an effective diet. However, I never had much success with it in regard to strength training.

One of the problems with a low carbohydrate diet is a loss of energy. It's hard to get through a workout.

Also, one of the benefits of a pre/during/post carbohydrate/protein beverage is that it is anti-catabolic and stimulates recovery faster.

Another factors of Atkins/The Anabolic Diet is protein is a diuretic. During the low/no carbohydrate days, you are going to lose water weight.

Seventy of the composition of muscle is water. Research shows the performance decreased with dehycration. That is exactly what happened with my lifts, everything was heavy including my warm ups.

Carbohydrates increase water weight. Thus, after two days of carbohydrate loading, my muscles were superhydrated. I would gain as much as 6 lbs in two days.

Superhydration make all my lifts easy.

Two of my friends were on the "Anabolic Diet", as well. Both were bigger than me. Both of them would gain as much as 10 lbs in two days of carbohydrate loading.

While the Atkins and the "Anabolic Diet" are great for cutting body fat, I do not recommend them for lifters. However, the only way you'll know how it works is to experiment with it.

With that said, I learned in invaluable lession on Superhydration as a means of increasing strength. The greater a muscle is hydrated, the stronger it is.

That is one of the reasons creatine works, "Cell Volumizing". Creatine pushes more water into the muscle cell producing a "Superhydrated" muscle cell.

Just as dehydration causse a decrease in performance, Superhydration causes an increase in performance.

Kenny Croxdale

smalls
12-21-2008, 11:36 AM
Ok, i'm confused. It seems both of you are suprised that your workouts suffered while on very low or no carb workouts. (dehydration can diminish results, of course) but your strength losses probably had little to do with hydration, because that can be manipulated and fixed by uh . . . drinking enough water to compensate. It has to do with low glycogen levels and the body having to use metabolic processes that take longer to fuel you with ATP. Not having glycogen means your body is having a harder time utilizing energy, water is usually not a limiting factor in any of those processes.

Low carb diets are taylored around losing bodyfat. Period. Your workout will not be as good as if you were eating boatloads of carbs. Period. But sometimes that's what you have to suffer to lose bodyfat.

Creatine does not work by "superhydrating" the muscle (although that is one of the side effects, especially of creatine monohydrate). Creatine works because it makes more creatine phosphate stores which in turn make more ATP readily available to be used in the contraction of muscle tissue. Please research the ATP and phosphagen energy system, as well as glycolysis in order to further understand what it is your doing with your body.

Advice is always nice bro, but you gotta understand what it is your saying to people.

K.M.A.1985
12-22-2008, 08:28 PM
I am currently ding a diet designed by dave palumbo. I am involved in the transformation challenge on Muscular developments forum.

it is a low carb high protein high fat diet with 1 cheat meal a week.

So far in 30 days I have lost around 22 pounds

Kenny Croxdale
12-24-2008, 09:41 AM
Ok, i'm confused. It seems both of you are suprised that your workouts suffered while on very low or no carb workouts. (dehydration can diminish results, of course) but your strength losses probably had little to do with hydration, because that can be manipulated and fixed by uh . . . drinking enough water to compensate. It has to do with low glycogen levels and the body having to use metabolic processes that take longer to fuel you with ATP. Not having glycogen means your body is having a harder time utilizing energy, water is usually not a limiting factor in any of those processes.

Low carb diets are taylored around losing bodyfat. Period. Your workout will not be as good as if you were eating boatloads of carbs. Period. But sometimes that's what you have to suffer to lose bodyfat.

Creatine does not work by "superhydrating" the muscle (although that is one of the side effects, especially of creatine monohydrate). Creatine works because it makes more creatine phosphate stores which in turn make more ATP readily available to be used in the contraction of muscle tissue. Please research the ATP and phosphagen energy system, as well as glycolysis in order to further understand what it is your doing with your body.

Advice is always nice bro, but you gotta understand what it is your saying to people.

Drinking water doesn't get the job done. Protein is a diuretic.
Drinking more water while talking a diuretic is counter productive.

Drinking more water does not mean you are going to store more water when taking a diuretic. When taking a diuretic, you are going to lose water weight.

The reverse occurs when "Carb Loading" takes place. You reverse the process. You bascally stop taking a diuretic (consuming copoius amounts of protein).

Along with that you take in carbohydrates that superhydrate you and your muscle cells. That is why individuals can gain 6-10 lbs in a two day periods.

Low carbohydrates diet work at decreasing body fat levels by manipulating insulin and glucaton levels.

Your body converts protein into glycogen. Initially, that takes about three days for the body to "retool" so that it becomes efficient at converting protein to glucose.

During those three days, you energy level is low. Once you get past the three days, you energy level returns.

Your mis-read my statement on creatin. I stated that superhydration is ONE of the reason creatin works. I never stated or inferred that it was the only reason it worked.

Even you agreed that creatin promotes water storage. "...that is one of the side effects, especially of creatine monohydrate."

Research clearly shows that dehydration decrease performance. Empirical data indicates that the reverse is true, Superhydration promotes a positive enviroment in which the muscle fiber works more effectively.

I understand that, "Creatine works because it makes more creatine phosphate stores which in turn make more ATP readily available to be used in the contraction of muscle tissue.

However, creatin's Superhydaation of the muscle cell plays a vital role in enhancing strength.

Kenny Croxdale

smalls
01-01-2009, 02:08 AM
How? How does a "superhydrated" cell promote more strength than an optimally functioning cell at normal healthy hydration levels. Of course drinking more water can and does "do the trick". Protein is a very mild diuretic. And ANY natural diuretic of mild potency will be naturally adjusted by the body within days. I eat over 400 grams of protein a day, am I chronically dehydrated is my strength constantly dimished? or maybe just maybe my body compensates. Caffiene is a diuretic as well but people who take in in daily eventually compensate and normalize their hydration levels.

Low carbs impact your strength PRIMARILY because of glycogen levels, not hydration. Hydration is of course always a factor, almost never the major one.

Based on your info about how protein will compensate your low glycogen (which it will certainly TRY, fairly unsuccesfuly, to do provided your not in Ketosis) I think you should do some research on the energy pathways the body utilizes to form ATP and why low carb diets diminish the capacity to attain energy quickly.