PDA

View Full Version : Diet help...

BigBadJohn
12-22-2008, 01:51 PM
I have no idea where to begin. Im overweight with some moderate muscle underneath. I need to eat a diet that will help me shed lbs while allowing some muscle growth....

Above all it MUST be fast and easy, I am always on the go an rarely have time to cook my own food.

Any advice on easy items to east throughout the day that will maintain a good ballance as well as the energy I need to build muscle? I assume a quality protein shake will be a must in my case?

andrew_lane
12-22-2008, 07:09 PM
Yeah that's a start. Sorry to say but fast and easy isn't necessarily going to get you there. You need to be eating at least five times a day, and trying for six.

Try to keep two protein shakes with you for two of the six. I am away from home quite a bit but I have found that Chinese is my saving grace, white rice and chicken take care of my carb and protein intake respectively.

Do you lift weights at all? It will be a lot harder to loose weight if you can't stay in an anabolic state.

BigBadJohn
12-28-2008, 10:23 PM
Yeah that's a start. Sorry to say but fast and easy isn't necessarily going to get you there. You need to be eating at least five times a day, and trying for six.

Try to keep two protein shakes with you for two of the six. I am away from home quite a bit but I have found that Chinese is my saving grace, white rice and chicken take care of my carb and protein intake respectively.

Do you lift weights at all? It will be a lot harder to loose weight if you can't stay in an anabolic state.

Ok Ill try to eat at least 5 times, and keep the protein shakes handy...

Just not sure what to eat on the road, I guess rice and chicken works for you

Yea, I am lifting weights as much as possible. I just didnt know if I could manage to cut fat and still eat enough to power some high intensity weight sessions...

Unreal
12-29-2008, 08:37 AM
You don't have to eat 5 times a day. That is a common myth. Take an hour on the weekend and precook all you food for the week. You can grill or bake a bunch of chicken, rice, veggies, potatoes, etc and portion it out into containers. Then you just have to grab a container and go. It takes almost no time to make oats or cereal. Just add water to the oats, microwave for 2 minutes and your good to go. Shakes are also quick and easy.

As for the diet, start reading up. It is all about calories. If you need 2000 calories then eating 3 670 calorie meals or 5 400 calories meals all works out the same at the end of the day. For some people eating smaller meals more often helps then stick to a diet, for others eating larger meals less often lets them feel full and helps then stick to a diet. Find your maintence calories, then adjust your daily calorie intake in line with your weightloss goals, while trying to keep protein levels around 1g per pound of lean body mass. 1lb of fat is about 3500 cals so if you want to lose 1lb a week then you need a 500 calorie a day defecit. You can play with that to see what works for you. Maybe a 200 calorie defecit on heavy training days and a 800 calorie one on non training days work better then a 500 a day every day one. It is all about finding what works for you.

CrazyK
12-29-2008, 02:38 PM
You don't have to eat 5-6 meals a day but for some it makes it a whole heck of a lot easier to either get in enough cals when they're bulking or stave off hunger when cutting. If you can, do it. If not, no big deal.

Unreal
12-30-2008, 09:10 AM
For me 3 large meals works much better then 5-6 small meals. 5-6 small meals leaves me being hungry all the time. 3 larger meals lets me feel full and statisfies me until the next one.