PDA

View Full Version : Trouble gaining weight

mchicia1
12-22-2008, 08:54 PM
Ok before you post "eat more"...I realize I need to eat more but I am having trouble simply fitting something else in. I will give a brief background about myself.

I am 6'5" 220 pounds and 25 years old. My maxes are bench:280, squat:335, deadlift:405

4 months ago I was only 200 pounds...I decided I wanted to fill out my frame more so I stuffed my face with 4000+ calories/day...it worked AMAZINGLY. I slowly gained 20 pounds in that 4 month period and my lifts soared. Right now I am in a plateau on all 3 of my big lifts...I am having tons of trouble moving up...so whats the obvious thought that popped in my head? Gain more weight!

I will give a run down of what I ate today:

2 wawa sausage/egg/cheese bagels = 976 calories
1 nlarge protein shake with whole milk = 800 calories
5 Chicken Fingers/a bunch of fries/5 appetizer sized chicken fajitas = approx 1000 calories (probably more but I will be stingy)
2 scoops of nitrean + water = 220 calories
trac extreme NO = 70 calories
3 jr bacon cheeseburgers from wendys = 930 calories
1 nLarge protein shake with whole milk = 800 calories

Total = 4796 calories

I am also not including the 1-2 glasses of milk I drink on top of the nLarge either...

This is generally what I eat every day of the week. Now one thing I am not doing is eating PB&J...I did this a lot before when I gained weight but I also didnt eat breakfast from wawa..

I know, I know...try to fit in one more meal....I am really having trouble with it though...I am very full throughout the day after this and it is hard to shove something else down my throat. I think if I could get another 300 calories I could slowly gain weight again.

Does anyone know of an easy NON SHAKE 300 calorie snack?

WORLD
12-22-2008, 09:05 PM
eat more

WORLD
12-22-2008, 09:06 PM
peanut butter sandwich
1/3 cup of trail mix

Kastro
12-22-2008, 09:06 PM
Milk. Lots of it.

mchicia1
12-22-2008, 09:16 PM
1/3 cup of trail mix

This sounds easy to fit...I will try this. Thanks.

I still dont understand how I cant gain weight eating that many calories.

HP666
12-22-2008, 09:44 PM
It may be as simple as adding another 250-500 calories a day. If you were really tracking your calories it would be easy to experiment and see what works. Get some Maximus.

mchicia1
12-22-2008, 09:52 PM
I was thinking about switching the night nLarge wtih maximus...

How does maximus taste compared to nLarge? I know this is a biased board, but id love an unbiased answer :). nLarge is very easy to drink even though its so high in calories...its very watery and smooth. I tried opticen for kicks and that stuff is VERY thick and mud like....it was tough to get down and it was only 300+ calories. Maximus is close to 800 calories I believe (1k with milk)...so isnt it going to be even thicker than opticen?

HP666
12-22-2008, 10:05 PM
I was thinking about switching the night nLarge wtih maximus...

How does maximus taste compared to nLarge? I know this is a biased board, but id love an unbiased answer :). nLarge is very easy to drink even though its so high in calories...its very watery and smooth. I tried opticen for kicks and that stuff is VERY thick and mud like....it was tough to get down and it was only 300+ calories. Maximus is close to 800 calories I believe (1k with milk)...so isnt it going to be even thicker than opticen?

Just thin it out with water or milk. I find it to mix well though.

jbrin0tk
12-22-2008, 10:25 PM
I agree with HP666, in that you may just need to add another 250-500 cals per day. If you've been eating about the same amount of calories for four months, chances are your body has caught on and that's why you aren't gaining any more weight. Good luck to you, man!

mchicia1
12-22-2008, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the responses...

I just ordered some Maximus so nice advertisement for atLarge :). Going to use it as my nighttime shake.

Is 3 shakes/day too much?

I do morning nLarge
pre-workout = nitrean
night nLarge.

Tom Mutaffis
12-23-2008, 08:00 AM
3 shakes a day is not too much if that is what you need to meet your protein requirements. I would make sure that they are high quality shakes so that you are not getting a ton of sugar or fats from them. AtLarge products are great.

One benefit that you may find from the maximus is increased recovery since it contains Microlactin - many call it "the new creatine" as it seems to be very effective in helping your muscles to recuperate enabling you to lift more weight.

It sounds like your diet might not be the culprit here since you are already eating quite a bit of food...

What is your training program? How much rest are you getting? When was the last time that you took a week off?

If you are overtrained you won't grow (lean mass) even eating 5,000 calories a day.

mchicia1
12-23-2008, 04:27 PM
I essentially do two workouts, twice/week so 4 days.

Mon:
Bench 2 x 5, heavy weight (this week 245)
BB Rows 3 x 5, heavy weight
Close Grip Bench 2 x 5, heavy weight
Weighted Pullups
Rope pulldown

Tues:
Squats: 1 x 85% of max, 1 x 20 @ 215 (5-10 per added per session)
DB Curls
Lunges: 2 x 85 db's

Thurs:
Bench 3 x 5, heavy weight (this week 245)
BB Rows 3 x 5, heavy weight
Close Grip Bench 2 x 5, heavy weight
Weighted Pullups
Rope pulldown

Fri:
Squats: 1 x 85% of max, 1 x 20 @ 215 (5-10 per added per session)
DB Curls
Lunges: 2 x 85 db's

I essentially split up the 5x5 bench press into two days because I never gained any progress from benching 1x/week. I dont feel like this is enough for me to overtrain...I go up in my 20 rep squats every time I do them. The only thing that is stuck is bench really.

The last time I took a week off was 2 weeks ago because I was sick. I get around 6 hours of sleep/night and on weekends sometimes 12 hours if its a long night :).

connelly
12-23-2008, 04:46 PM
If you've gained 20 lb. in 4 months it doesn't sound like you need to gain more weight you've been gaining around a lb. a week? And eat more (:

thebirdman
12-23-2008, 04:59 PM
im still in the loading phase where i explode for a few months but when you plateau, you need to shock ur body, and HARD. u seem to be at the peak that u can be at without PH or steroids.

What I would do is..

Do more. I dont know why I see 85% or why if i DO see 85%, there arent 8 exercises for the day. Kill the big muscles (chest, back) and your subs (tris, bis) will be dead, so after that, work the subs out and kill them more.

Change up your program. Do totally different exercises, maybe even switch what muscles you do together.

Make sure if youre taking creatine, you keep it on cycles. 2-3 weeks off of creatine will make your muscles starve for it, then hit it hard again. Thats the same for anything.

If you can't move up in weight, youre losing strength, so do strength sets.

FOUR sets of 8-10. If you can do more than 6 on the last one, move up in weight. dont be a p***y :)

train hard bro, lemme know what you decide.

btw, eat more. I weigh 170 and I eat 5,000 calories a day of lean foods and shakes. If I was 200 and gaining, I'd go 6,000+. The more calories the better, and stop eating fatty junkfoods. Your body likes SOME fat, but definitely NOT saturated fat. Breaks down muscle compared to leaner fats.

happy holidays good luck.

"everyone wants to be a bodybuilder, but nobody wants to lift these heavy*ss weights" - coleman

so true.

mchicia1
12-23-2008, 08:55 PM
Actually, with a 1 x 20 rep squat routine you're only supposed to do the 1x20 then stop. I mixed in a rep of heavy weight just so I dont forget how it feels when I switch out. And my legs are moving up greatly so thats not my issue. I lift heavy and hard...my barbell rows have gone up too...I started at 185 and now I can do 225 x 5. Its always been just bench :). My bench can only go up when my own weight goes up. Its as simple as that.

BFGUITAR
12-23-2008, 09:00 PM
Sometimes I love my fatty genes :) makes gaining weight so much easier.

BigTallOx
12-23-2008, 09:52 PM
Sometimes I love my fatty genes :) makes gaining weight so much easier.

I was thinking that too, at first. Until I saw he only eats 4800 calories a day. I love my being hungry all the time genes, lol ( 4800 calories is NOTHING, lol )

mchicia1
01-14-2009, 07:55 PM
Yeah so...not sure why or what happened but I left my eating habits the same, except I purchased maximus and have been using that for a couple weeks instead of nLarge...

Was maybe 218 or 220 when I started this thread...

I weighed 224 today...

Thanks At Large Nutrition :)

Ace7644
01-15-2009, 06:37 AM
id just try to replace some of that food with shakes, get a blender and mix some oats and natty pb in there to add cals. its way easier to drink the cals. than eat them so if you rely on the good clean cals. of a shake rather than bacon cheesburgers i bet youd do well.

rbtrout
01-15-2009, 09:12 AM
You're original post asked about adding a non-shake or drink, you seemed to have got that figured out with Maximus. Good deal! A suggestion, I keep Lean Pockets on hand at work and home, so if I feel a bit hungry before bed or want extra on the weekends, pop one in the micro and 2 minutes later, you've got 270-300 cals extra. Quick and easy.

ZenMonkey
01-15-2009, 09:15 AM
No deadlifts?

Ben Moore
01-15-2009, 09:24 AM
Personally I'd take a look at your routine - you're essentially going heavy on the same workout twice a week - you may not have enough time to recover.

KarstenDD
01-15-2009, 09:48 AM
No one has said it yet? It has to be me?

McDonalds. A lot of McDonalds, Hostess, Little Debbie, Pizza, luther burgers, candy. Now don't replace anything in your diet, just add. You can be creative too. Instead of a large pepperoni pizza, get a large white meat lovers pizza. Just FYI, a large McDonalds shake is 1000 calories.

I should learn to read. You already eat like crap. SOO eat a lot more.

Brad08
01-15-2009, 10:32 AM
Does anyone know of an easy NON SHAKE 300 calorie snack?

a double cheeseburger from McDonalds or Wendys.

three tablespoons of olive oil.

a couple big spoonfuls of Peanut butter.

a big handful or two of almonds.

a scoop of ice cream.

37 heads of lettuce.

mchicia1
01-15-2009, 01:09 PM
Im still relatively young (25) so I think I can do this for a little while longer til I hit my target weight..

The other day I had:

Breakfast: 1 x wawa sandwich
Lunch: meat lovers pizza from UNO (its something like 2k calories)
Snack: Maximus
Pre-workout shake: 3 scoops of nitrean and trac
Post-workout shale: maximus
Dinner: 4 jr bacon cheese burgers
Pre-sleep meal: Large PB&J

Maybe thats why I gained weight this week? lol

Also, I did switch my routine up...I am now doing the bill starr 5x5. I can't tell if its working for my strength because I am still in the first 4 weeks when you actually do less weight to get used to the program.

kjd2121
01-16-2009, 10:57 AM
Im still relatively young (25) so I think I can do this for a little while longer til I hit my target weight..

The other day I had:

Breakfast: 1 x wawa sandwich
Lunch: meat lovers pizza from UNO (its something like 2k calories)
Snack: Maximus
Pre-workout shake: 3 scoops of nitrean and trac
Post-workout shale: maximus
Dinner: 4 jr bacon cheese burgers
Pre-sleep meal: Large PB&J

Maybe thats why I gained weight this week? lol

Also, I did switch my routine up...I am now doing the bill starr 5x5. I can't tell if its working for my strength because I am still in the first 4 weeks when you actually do less weight to get used to the program.

WTF is a wawa sandwich??

charliebigspuds
01-17-2009, 12:25 PM
u want a high cal snack try this it makes 8-10 bars with 700-900k per bar
3 big cups of oats
1 jar peanut butter
1 jar set honey
flaxseed oil(or some thing maybe butter it helps it to set)
nuts/dates/dried fruit
3-4 scoops of weight gain.
mix it all together
cool/cut in to chucks and eat.
bro why eat so much crap-why not cook some big jacket potatoes maybe 3-4 they keep in the fridge for a few days.
eat them with cottage cheese/tuna and mayo for extra cals ect ect....just a thought.

WTF is a wawa sandwich

KarstenDD
01-17-2009, 08:40 PM
Perchance it is a sandwich from a wawa? You know, like the chain of stores.