PDA

View Full Version : Hook grip + deadlift.

TheVrolok
12-23-2008, 12:04 AM
What do you guys think? I think I'm getting to the point where for my last set of 5, my grip strength is becoming and issue by the last rep or two. I use double overhand grip (haven't wanted to switch to mixed yet) and if I hook it (tuck that thumb under) my grip is just fine. Anyone have feelings, positive or negative, on using the hook grip while deadlifting?

Ben Moore
12-23-2008, 12:07 AM
It's fine, but you'd be better served to work your grip strength

TheVrolok
12-23-2008, 12:30 AM
It's fine, but you'd be better served to work your grip strength

What would you recommend for a good grip workout? I'm purposely staying away from mixed grip/straps because I don't want to hinder my grip.

RhodeHouse
12-23-2008, 06:15 AM
What would you recommend for a good grip workout? I'm purposely staying away from mixed grip/straps because I don't want to hinder my grip.

Straps will hinder your grip. Over/under grip still hits it hard. DOn't be a like the No Belt Brigade when it comes to grip. Switch your grip and lift heavier weights.

accuFLEX
12-23-2008, 07:56 AM
Straps are fine IMO... as long as you use them when you need them. If you don't use them as a crutch, you'll be ok.

Try farmers walks/static holds...they'll tear your skin to ****, but they really helped me.

TJM
12-23-2008, 11:52 AM
deadlifting with a thicker bar works, as does hanging from a pull up bar for as long as you can.

RhodeHouse
12-23-2008, 02:04 PM
Straps are fine IMO... as long as you use them when you need them. If you don't use them as a crutch, you'll be ok.

Try farmers walks/static holds...they'll tear your skin to ****, but they really helped me.

You do realize that straps don't help the grip, right?

Sidior
12-23-2008, 02:09 PM
If you can hook it go for it, if not switch to mixed. Straps are not the solution.

SeanW
12-23-2008, 02:10 PM
I'm with RhodeHouse on this one. If you want to do double over hand grip on the weights that you can do it on then thats great, but do mixed grip and lift the heavier weights.

Ben Moore
12-23-2008, 02:38 PM
Bar holds, thick bar work, gripper holds, hanging from a chinup bar with weight added - all can help your grip

accuFLEX
12-23-2008, 03:16 PM
You do realize that straps don't help the grip, right?

I never said they would. I said that if you use them when you need them (aka when your grip is giving out) you'll be fine. But if your grip is so bad that it hinders your deadlift, use straps on big lifts and incorporate some grip strength building exercises into your routine.

starfox
12-23-2008, 03:16 PM
If I switch from double grip to a mixed grip, is the only difference between the two grip strength?

Ben Moore
12-23-2008, 03:17 PM
I don't understand your question

starfox
12-23-2008, 04:04 PM
Like if I start using a mixed grip, will my body still get the same work out as a double grip? I read that the only difference between the two is that double grip gives you better grip strength, but you guys know a lot more than me.

SGT ROCK
12-23-2008, 04:27 PM
Like if I start using a mixed grip, will my body still get the same work out as a double grip? I read that the only difference between the two is that double grip gives you better grip strength, but you guys know a lot more than me.

You will get a bit more equal development in upper back with a double overhand or hook, its minimal but there is a slight difference. For most the increase in the weight you can lift with a mixed grip will more than compensate for the very slight imblance it causes.

Semper Fi

starfox
12-23-2008, 04:59 PM
You will get a bit more equal development in upper back with a double overhand or hook, its minimal but there is a slight difference. For most the increase in the weight you can lift with a mixed grip will more than compensate for the very slight imblance it causes.

Semper Fi

Thanks a lot :)

TheVrolok
12-24-2008, 06:56 AM
So would you guys then recommend dropping the hook, and switching to a mixed group for the heavier sets to see where that goes?

Almost like a:

Double Overhand
Mixed
Mixed + Hook

hierarchy for gripping when it comes to DLs. Save the hook for when it's really needed?

freeride
12-24-2008, 09:57 AM
So would you guys then recommend dropping the hook, and switching to a mixed group for the heavier sets to see where that goes?

Almost like a:

Double Overhand
Mixed
Mixed + Hook

hierarchy for gripping when it comes to DLs. Save the hook for when it's really needed?

There's not going to be a need to hook a mixed grip.

gatorman2k6
12-24-2008, 09:45 PM
Little off topic, does anybody use a snatch grip in their rotation. If so, how does it help your normal set up? I used it today and I found out that it was a lot harder to hold onto the bar. Other than that, not sure what else it did. Just thought I'd change things up today to address some weaknesses.

minotaur70
12-27-2008, 01:04 AM
I switched to hook grip back in July and I'm loving it. Mikhail Koklyaev and Gillingham are examples of two lifters who use hook grip and lift big. I emailed Gillingham and he suggested saving hook grip for singles and grip strength was best developed with heavy rack pulls.