PDA

View Full Version : Squat recovery question

HP666
12-26-2008, 05:06 PM
A guy I know "explained" to me that box squatting was better than free squatting because the recovery time was shorter. I asked him what he meant and he said that when you free squat you need three days to fully recover, and when you box squat you only need one day. Now this is the first time I've ever heard this. Is this even remotely possible? This guy was serious.

AlMohr
12-26-2008, 05:45 PM
A guy I know "explained" to me that box squatting was better than free squatting because the recovery time was shorter. I asked him what he meant and he said that when you free squat you need three days to fully recover, and when you box squat you only need one day. Now this is the first time I've ever heard this. Is this even remotely possible? This guy was serious.

I don't know about recovery in only 1 day. But generally box squatting forces one to use less weight (when done correctly), use better form which is easier on the body (i.e. joints, tendons, and ligaments) and it breaks the eccentric/concentric contraction cycle or lowering/elevating the weight, which is less taxing on the CNS. Overall it has the potential to be less taxing when done properly, but I believe recovery in 1 day is unlikely.

Jonah
12-26-2008, 07:10 PM

Like any other idea it all depends on the user

jbrin0tk
12-26-2008, 09:28 PM
I know Louie talks about box squatting being easier to recover from than free squatting in a December 2005 article called "Box Squatting Benefits." It's on the Westside website in the 2005 articles section.

Kenny Croxdale
12-27-2008, 08:43 AM
[QUOTE=AlMohr;2061980]it breaks the eccentric/concentric contraction cycle or lowering/elevating the weight, which is less taxing on the CNS. Overall it has the potential to be less taxing when done properlyQUOTE]

Almohr,

Where did you the idea that breaking the eccentric/concentric coontraction is less taxing on the CNS and the idea that it is less taxing overall?

Pausing or hesistation on the box during the squat builds strength out of the hole. However, that pause or hesistation does nothing to develop the stretch reflex which provide you with a sling shot effect in coming out of the hole.

To develop the stretch reflex, you need to utilize some type of movement in which you squat out of the hole with a slight "recoil." The stretch reflex elicits a "recoil, spring like" effect in which you rebound out of the hole.

That rebound out of the hole produces more power. The more power you produce out of the hole, the more momentum you have in driving the weight up to the top.

As Tom McLaughlin (PhD in biomechanics and former powerlifter) stated regarding the transition between the descent and ascent of the squat.

"You don't want to bounce, but you don't want to stop, either. "You want a slight recoil - enough that the change in direction utilizes some of the energy transfer in your body." http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1608/is_n9_v14/ai_21099904

Thus, to maximize your squat, some type of stretch reflex training need to be employed.

Kenny Croxdale

Sensei
12-27-2008, 06:51 PM
I don't know about recovery in only 1 day. But generally box squatting forces one to use less weight (when done correctly), use better form which is easier on the body (i.e. joints, tendons, and ligaments) and it breaks the eccentric/concentric contraction cycle or lowering/elevating the weight, which is less taxing on the CNS. Overall it has the potential to be less taxing when done properly, but I believe recovery in 1 day is unlikely.I'd agree with this.

Kenny,
I don't think anyone's arguing that stretch reflex training isn't needed...

mastermonster
12-31-2008, 12:44 AM
Personally I squat once per week either way. But I don't deload on the box when I box squat. I just use it as a tool to keep me sitting back and as a depth gauge to imprint what legal depth feels like, or to feel where the desired height is if I do heavy partials (ex; 3" high, 4" high). As soon as I feel the bench touch my butt I shoot the squat up. It take me a whole week to recover well, but I'm almost 53 YO.

Mcarnage
01-01-2009, 12:05 AM
I do hundreds of free squats no weight

beastman2009
01-05-2009, 10:33 PM
The bands are ideal for the recoil

RhodeHouse
01-06-2009, 06:20 AM
[QUOTE=AlMohr;2061980]it breaks the eccentric/concentric contraction cycle or lowering/elevating the weight, which is less taxing on the CNS. Overall it has the potential to be less taxing when done properlyQUOTE]

Almohr,

Where did you the idea that breaking the eccentric/concentric coontraction is less taxing on the CNS and the idea that it is less taxing overall?

Pausing or hesistation on the box during the squat builds strength out of the hole. However, that pause or hesistation does nothing to develop the stretch reflex which provide you with a sling shot effect in coming out of the hole.

To develop the stretch reflex, you need to utilize some type of movement in which you squat out of the hole with a slight "recoil." The stretch reflex elicits a "recoil, spring like" effect in which you rebound out of the hole.

That rebound out of the hole produces more power. The more power you produce out of the hole, the more momentum you have in driving the weight up to the top.

As Tom McLaughlin (PhD in biomechanics and former powerlifter) stated regarding the transition between the descent and ascent of the squat.

"You don't want to bounce, but you don't want to stop, either. "You want a slight recoil - enough that the change in direction utilizes some of the energy transfer in your body." http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1608/is_n9_v14/ai_21099904

Thus, to maximize your squat, some type of stretch reflex training need to be employed.

Kenny Croxdale

He wasn't asking about the stretch reflex. He asked if box squatting was less taxing and easier to recover from.

Box squatting is a little easier to recover from. Part of the reason is that you have to stop and reverse the weight in a free squat. The box stop you and all you have to do is stand up. Both will beat the bag out of you. You on't need a fancy study to know that.

The best thing you canb do to recover is to:
1. ice/contrast showers
2. eat properly
3. rest/sleep
4. stretch/foam roll/light cardio