PDA

View Full Version : Vinny D, need some help

NickW
12-27-2008, 12:02 AM
I am looking for some tips to help me increase my standing OHP, I am thinking about doing it in a meet and just want to work on it for general strength. Seated my best lately is 405 for 3, but I know that doesn't have a direct correlation with standing OHP.

vdizenzo
12-27-2008, 02:50 AM
Hey big guy, how you holding up? Regarding the strict press I just did, most of my training in the past was seated. Seated is fine because you don't involve your legs, just like a strict press. I really only trained for it for about five weeks. I think I just have strong shoulders from all the pressing I have done over the years. Sorry if this is not what you are looking for. My advice is to put the bar in a squat rack, load some plates on, and push up.

Jeff Roark
12-27-2008, 06:58 AM
Nick,
I know I honestly have no place stepping in here when you guys press what I squat! But, I have made some good gains on my Overhead Pressing in the past 6 months. I managed to pass my all time best by 10lbs quite easily. For those that really work the strict overhead press they know gains don't come as easy for some reason. But anyway here was what I was going to say regarding form. I found that when I really tried to do a rulebook Military Press my strength jumped big time. It confused me at first as I always though that it would make it much harder but for me it didn't. I put my heels together and squeeze my thighs and glutes as hard as I can tilt my head back just a bit and drive. When I pressed in the past with my feet spread quite a bit my presses were all over the place. Now, if I remember correctly you are absolutely massive and you may actually have a hard time getting into that position with the feet together if you thighs are as big as I am!

As for sets and reps- I am sure you know more than enough about that. I used the old Doug Hepburn style of singles and it worked fabulous for me.

Here are a few clips of how I do the press.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rps_DVSrFXA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jmqaxni-DJY

Look forward to seeing what all you monsters can do in the Press!

not sure why the vids aren't showing up. Here is the links if you care to watch them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rps_DVSrFXA&feature=channel_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jmqaxni-DJY&feature=channel_page

chris mason
12-27-2008, 08:30 AM
Nick, how is your shoulder flexibility? That is one place I think Vincent is really lucky for overhead pressing. If you watch his videos, before he even clears his head he is pressing in a backwards arch which then takes the bar to a position almost behind his head for the completion of the lift. His form is really optimal. I just can't do it like he does it. Heck, I have to lean back a touch just to get my arms locked out in the overhead position.

NickW
12-27-2008, 04:52 PM
Hey big guy, how you holding up? Regarding the strict press I just did, most of my training in the past was seated. Seated is fine because you don't involve your legs, just like a strict press. I really only trained for it for about five weeks. I think I just have strong shoulders from all the pressing I have done over the years. Sorry if this is not what you are looking for. My advice is to put the bar in a squat rack, load some plates on, and push up.

Thats good news, I have naturally strong shoulders also (probly not as strong as yours though!) and that is exactly what I have been doing. My best so far (the two workouts I have done them, lol) is 420, after doing my ME bench stuff. Where were you at before you got the 405? I know you have done 500 before, so I have a good ways to go.

Chris, not much flexability at all, when I finish my press is still out in front of me a bit.

vdizenzo
12-27-2008, 05:05 PM
I have not done them seated for about 6 months. I did 405x5 last night. My shoulders are absolutely killing me today. You have a strong press. You'll do great.

chris mason
12-27-2008, 06:06 PM
Thats good news, I have naturally strong shoulders also (probly not as strong as yours though!) and that is exactly what I have been doing. My best so far (the two workouts I have done them, lol) is 420, after doing my ME bench stuff. Where were you at before you got the 405? I know you have done 500 before, so I have a good ways to go.

Chris, not much flexability at all, when I finish my press is still out in front of me a bit.

You're like me, only much stronger :o).