PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite food for getting lean??

The Calvinator
04-05-2002, 01:16 PM
... taste wise and effectiveness. i was just wondering since summer is coming up and i am slowly trying to factor in getting lean into my eating habits and cardio. i usually eat a lot of tuna, but it does have high sodium. thanks for posting!!!

Jane
04-05-2002, 01:21 PM
I post this on like a daily basis, but my fav meal:
.5 cup Kashi GoLean cereal
.4 cup Kashi GoodFriends cereal
.25 cup Kashi Puffed cereal
2 cups skim milk

320 cals
2g fat
58g carbs (incl. 11g fiber)
24g protein

Made with whole grains. Fiber keeps me full for a while. I'll never get tired of it.

Mark
04-05-2002, 01:39 PM
From personal experience I don't believe you will ever get lean unless you go on a low carb diet.

And the most appropriate food has got to be eggs. Either poached or scrambled in a little butter. I love 'em.

If you afraid of eating eggs because of the cholestrol scare stories I can tell you that if there was any truth in them I'd have died about a hundred times over the last 25 years as I eat a minimum of 4 eggs a day (up to 11 if bulking up).

I hpe this 'eggs' you on!

mr_hand
04-05-2002, 01:44 PM
The low-carb arguments go on and on. I just finished reading Paul's article, and finally tell myself I need to eat more carbs, then I'll see and comment like Mark's and say, oh fudge. I'll never get lean.

The Calvinator
04-05-2002, 01:47 PM
hey, that's a good joke there mark. i ate 10 egg whites before i went to bed last night, i just cook em on a skillet and just pull the yoke out, so i am trying!! thanks for the input guys

IceRgrrl
04-05-2002, 02:07 PM
I do the same thing, Calvinator. I separate the yolks and whites, I eat the whites + one yolk and cook up the extra yolks for my older dog who needs to keep weight on...she loves egg yolks!

MarshallPenn
04-05-2002, 02:07 PM
I don't understand the low carb craze. Mark were your calories identical on both diets and you're saying only when you shifted those cals to protein and fats you started to lose weight?

In the old days, BB'ers would get lean by just reducing cals and it seemed to work perfectly fine for all of them. Is there a new breed of human out that is able to stay fat on a reduced calories diet? I just don't get it.

Favorite food? Sushi. Doesn't matter if you trying to get lean or not, food is food.

MarshallPenn
04-05-2002, 02:11 PM
IceRgrrl - better to just mix the yolks in raw with her food. Much better for her. :)

Mark
04-05-2002, 02:42 PM
Hey Marshall

In a nutshell yes! For many people the low carb diet takes a huge leap of faith and I can understand this.

The way it works is as follows.

You have to understand the effect food has on your body's hormones. Carbs (especially high GI ones) stimulate the release of insulin. Insulin is a fat storing hormone and if you are not burning that carb asap it is turned into saturated fat by the body and then shoved into your cells by the insulin.

As the carbs are quickly coverted to fat then pushed out of the bloodstream your bloood sugar level drops this is the most potent thing to stimulate your appetite so you eat more carbs and get fatter still on this vicious cycle.

Protein will increase your metabolic rate and help to suppress hunger (as do fats).

There nothing wrong with the carbs from most fibrous vegetables
as they are released so slowly the have virtually no effect on insulin levels and the fiber reduces the amount of carb that can be absorbed in any case.

In the very old days bodybuilders got lean by following zero carb diets, not that I would advocate anything that extreme.

Hope you find this of interest.

Tryska
04-05-2002, 02:49 PM
steak.

MarshallPenn
04-05-2002, 02:55 PM
Mark - I did. Thanks for taking the time to post that. Interesting stuff. Actually, my favorite diet consists of just raw fish, nuts and oils, and fruits and vegetables (so fairly low carb). Nothing cooked except soups and occasional rice. I love soups. Unfortunately, I would lose weight eating that way - unless I really upped the fats, so I have to take in a good deal of breads and pastas.

The Calvinator
04-05-2002, 05:27 PM
i have tried to keep carbs on a low and try and concentrate on foods with high protein, didnt matter fat because it helps me sustain my binges on....well, everything. i do love sushi, i eat it a lot. i usually for dinner just plop 2-3 pounds of lean ground round on the Foreman and just chow. steak a lot too. especially in farm country during school i get a lot of good deals on steak. i dont know, i guess i just need to kick up the cardio a little more. but my eating disorder, overeating, holds me back...

The Calvinator
04-05-2002, 05:29 PM
thank you all for your feedback

I guess the twinkie eating contest i entered in the other day didnt help, huh....
oh yeah... 10 twinkies in 2minutes

IceRgrrl
04-05-2002, 05:30 PM
Marshall: She's picky...she likes them cooked. What a spoiled dog...LOL!

Seriously though, I never get tired of egg whites...omelettes, egg white salad on ww toast, egg whites on spinach salad...

MarshallPenn
04-05-2002, 05:49 PM
Yup, they can be picky. I love it when I try to sneak some food my dog doesn't like in his bowl (mixed in with other stuff) -- he always eat everything else and spit the other stuff out next to the bowl. :)

InferiorDesign
04-05-2002, 06:13 PM
Fried chicken

Shao-LiN
04-08-2002, 01:00 AM
What exactly would you classify as low carb? My daily carb intake right now is hanging around 200 I think, but comprises about 38% of my ~2100 cal diet.

Sebi
04-08-2002, 01:08 AM
Milk. Low fat, not no fat.

Shocker
04-08-2002, 01:18 AM
American-style pork spare ribs

Shocker
04-08-2002, 01:19 AM
oops getting lean.
mmm
BBQ'ed lean beef

Shocker