PDA

View Full Version : buying a pull/chin up bar

jbrin0tk
12-27-2008, 09:18 PM
Hey guys, I've just bought a new house and am trying to get an area going where I can do some GPP and extra workouts in, and I was looking to include a pull/chin up bar into the mix. Does anyone have any ideas as to where I can purchase one? I've searched the forums for answers to similar questions to no avail, and I googled it but wasn't really sure about what is quality and what is not. Basically, if anyone here has bought and uses a chin up bar at home, I'd appreciate it if you'd provide me with some info on the make and where you got it....keep in mind that I'm a fatty, haha, 280lbs. Thanks, guys!

Lones Green
12-27-2008, 09:28 PM
Dude I'd buy some pipe and make it myself!

jbrin0tk
12-27-2008, 09:32 PM
Dude I'd buy some pipe and make it myself!

Haha, good idea, Lones! Unfortunately, I'm not too handy that way! But thanks for your input, Lones. I appreciate it!

Brian Hopper
12-27-2008, 10:42 PM
try a sports authority.

Detard
12-27-2008, 11:00 PM
Whatever you do, dont buy one of those ones that detaches. They are not built very strong. I work at a powerlifting store and I always cringe when people come in to buy them. Your best bet would be to get a handy friend to make a heavy duty one for you.

Brian Hopper
12-28-2008, 01:57 AM
what kind of powerlifting store do you work at????

Athos
12-29-2008, 06:51 AM
Making one is fairly easy and cheap. I just used heavy metal plumbing pipe... one long piece, two 90 degree turn/corners, two small pieces that go from the turns into the flange. Then bolt that into two small 2x4's which it turn can be bolted into your floor joists (if you are set up in your basement/garage). It doesn't require any handman skills except screwing a bolt. I can do chins with 80 pounds and it holds perfectly. Also if you get some ab straps, you can do hanging ab work. Worth the $30 investment, in my opinion.

Tom Mutaffis
12-29-2008, 08:51 AM
Some of the "power tower" stands are pretty nice and can be found for a good price.

They are a chin station, dip bar, and ab raise all in one. Make sure you get one with at least a 300 lbs limit and preferably a 400 lbs limit if you weigh 280 lbs.

What area do you live in? I would look at indepenent stores since their prices can be negotiable, also look at play-it-again sports and craigslist.

shoei_391
12-29-2008, 09:25 AM
I got the Iron Gym and I really love it. Its a pull up bar, (with three different hand grips: neutral, wide, and regular) can be used for push up, situps, and dips. The max wieght capacity is 300lbs. I highly recommend it :)

Tom Mutaffis
12-29-2008, 09:57 AM
I got the Iron Gym and I really love it. Its a pull up bar, (with three different hand grips: neutral, wide, and regular) can be used for push up, situps, and dips. The max wieght capacity is 300lbs. I highly recommend it :)

I have one of those and use it, but I am 220 lbs and am not sure how much more weight that aparatus can really hold.

The price is right though - can pick one up for around $30. Would recommend it to anyone who is under 200 lbs looking for something they can use to workout at home.

Pete22
12-29-2008, 10:33 AM
I have one of those and use it, but I am 220 lbs and am not sure how much more weight that aparatus can really hold.

The price is right though - can pick one up for around $30. Would recommend it to anyone who is under 200 lbs looking for something they can use to workout at home.

I agree, I'm around 225ish right now and I was messing around on my buddy's Iron Gym and it was creaking pretty good. If you're 280, I would not recommend this.

jbrin0tk
12-29-2008, 12:56 PM
Thanks, guys, for all of the great responses. I appreciate it!