PDA

View Full Version : how much water do you drink daily,

lenny spero
12-28-2008, 12:49 PM
not how much are you supposed to drink....how much do you really drink ED..
i never drink enough water and for most workouts i dont notice a tremendous difference but when i lift heavy frequently and its cold out i notice myself getting a lot more strains,sprains and tears.
input?..
im trying to increase my hydration level to normal but im a lazy bunghole basically.

chris mason
12-28-2008, 01:25 PM
The whole idea of hydration as it relates to resistance training is bull****. Drink as your body dictates under normal circumstances and you will be fine. All of these idiots drinking gallons of water per day are doing themselves no real service.

Travis Bell
12-28-2008, 01:49 PM
I've become a big fan of drinking around a gallon on workout days. On my off days I just drink when I feel like it.

Eric Downey
12-28-2008, 01:56 PM
if you count the mixed power drinks like bcaa and results and stuff like that im at about 1.5 gallons on training days. and close to a gallon on non

Fighter_15
12-28-2008, 02:58 PM
I drink about a gallon a day at least. I always have a water bottle on me, my mouth gets dry real easy if I'm not drinking water.

Brian Hopper
12-28-2008, 03:12 PM
I've become a big fan of drinking around a gallon on workout days. On my off days I just drink when I feel like it.

I'm the same way, I will only TRY and drink a gallon on my workout days and when I'm not training I just drink when I'm thirsty.

ls gun
12-28-2008, 03:36 PM
About a gallon. After taking multivitamins,ets and sometimes n.o., I think my piss will glow in the dark. I drink enough to pee clear.

Lones Green
12-28-2008, 04:39 PM
I'd say around a gallon as well.

AlMohr
12-28-2008, 05:00 PM
I drink around a gallon, if I don't I get headaches. I even take a gallon jug when I'm at school or work. People make fun of me for it, but I'm not buying bottled water($$$) and the water Fountains at school are disgusting

GerSmith
12-28-2008, 05:02 PM
The whole idea of hydration as it relates to resistance training is bull****.

how so? I am under the school of thought that fluid helps muscles contract and relax and also keep muscle cells hydrated, therefore increased muscular work requires more fluids?

I drink about a gallon on training days and half that on off days. All this excludes protein shakes etc.

ZenMonkey
12-28-2008, 06:17 PM
About a gallon a day.

getfit
12-28-2008, 06:38 PM
A gallon for me as well.

rmccray
12-28-2008, 07:11 PM
i try not to drink alot of soda so as im out there driving my bigg rigg i drink about a gallon of vitamin water a day shaqs 32 mix and then another 32oz when i lift at nite!! PEACE

mastermonster
12-28-2008, 07:44 PM
I think hydration is very important but I think too much is made about having to do it purely with plain water. 98% or more of any beverage you drink is going to be water, even milk. I'll usually drink between a quart and a half gallon of pure water a day, but I consider all of the liquids I drink in my hydration plan...coffee, tea, soft drinks, NRG and Protein Drink...all of it. I probably get 1 1/2 to 2 gallons of fluids per day at least. I sweat a lot. My guideline is if I'm thirsty I drink, and I make sure I have something on me to drink.

I think using pure water is important if your cutting up (bodybuilder) or at the end process of making a weight class as a powerlifter. But for day to day strength training I think total fluid intake is what's important.

evilxxx
12-29-2008, 12:53 AM
I think hydration is very important but I think too much is made about having to do it purely with plain water. 98% or more of any beverage you drink is going to be water, even milk. I'll usually drink between a quart and a half gallon of pure water a day, but I consider all of the liquids I drink in my hydration plan...coffee, tea, soft drinks, NRG and Protein Drink...all of it. I probably get 1 1/2 to 2 gallons of fluids per day at least. I sweat a lot. My guideline is if I'm thirsty I drink, and I make sure I have something on me to drink.

I think using pure water is important if your cutting up (bodybuilder) or at the end process of making a weight class as a powerlifter. But for day to day strength training I think total fluid intake is what's important.

Exactly what I was gonna say! LOL!

I drink about a gallon a day (half more on work out days) but my total fluid intake is at 3 gallons of fluid a day . I do a lot of walking at work.

deeder
12-29-2008, 01:27 AM
The whole idea of hydration as it relates to resistance training is bull****. Drink as your body dictates under normal circumstances and you will be fine. All of these idiots drinking gallons of water per day are doing themselves no real service.

What would you call normal circumstances and how do you gauge whether or not you're properly hydrated.

I'm with you in that I don't aim for a certain amount of water per day... I drink when I'm thirsty and if my pee isn't clear (or at least close to it) then I have a glass or two of water.

azma
12-29-2008, 06:27 PM
I drink a gallon a day.

Kidney stones?
Creatine?
Metabolism?

Travis Bell
12-29-2008, 06:40 PM
I drink a gallon a day.

Kidney stones?
Creatine?
Metabolism?

I believe chris is referring to guys who try and over hydrate in hopes that it gives them a ton of benefit, not just letting yourself get dehydrated LOL

Reko
12-29-2008, 07:22 PM
I drink zero water each day.
However, i do drink a lot of other fluids (shakes, gatorade, soda, milk) and get plenty of hydration through my food, so i don't feel like its hindering me much.

Edit, unless I am cutting, then i will swap out soda for water usually, to keep the unnecessary calories down.

Pete22
12-29-2008, 08:24 PM
I keep a 32 oz. water bottle at work that I refill about 3 or 4 times a day. Add to that about 4 cups of coffee, a few Diet Pepsi's, and maybe a Monster before training.

Detard
12-30-2008, 12:53 AM
I drink about 70oz - 80oz per day total i'm not sure how much that is in gallons or litres though.

GerSmith
12-30-2008, 10:57 AM
I keep a 32 oz. water bottle at work that I refill about 3 or 4 times a day. Add to that about 4 cups of coffee, a few Diet Pepsi's, and maybe a Monster before training.

i wouldnt count the coffee as part of water intake as it acts as a natural diuretic and releasing water from the body, if one drinks coffee, they need to supplement more water than a person who doesnt drink it., you drink a fair amount anyway so it's not like you need any adjutments.

Pete22
12-30-2008, 11:11 AM
i wouldnt count the coffee as part of water intake as it acts as a natural diuretic and releasing water from the body, if one drinks coffee, they need to supplement more water than a person who doesnt drink it., you drink a fair amount anyway so it's not like you need any adjutments.

Yeah I know, I just meant that I try to drink water, but I drink a lot of other crap as well.

Tom Mutaffis
12-30-2008, 11:11 AM
They just took the water cooler out of my office!

Normally a little less than a gallon of water a day for me. On training days in the gym I will do about a gallon and when I train events it can be substantially more since I am outside in the Florida heat for 3-4 hours training.

Am in agreement with everyone else on here that you basically just want to avoid getting dehydrated. Cannot see any real benefit to forcing yourself to drink 2 gallons+/day unless you have some kind of medical condition or are taking absurd amounts of water soluable vitamins and need to clear them from your system (which wouldn't make sense to do anyway).

chris mason
12-30-2008, 01:27 PM
how so? I am under the school of thought that fluid helps muscles contract and relax and also keep muscle cells hydrated, therefore increased muscular work requires more fluids?

I drink about a gallon on training days and half that on off days. All this excludes protein shakes etc.

Sure it does, but drinking too much water doesn't improve anything above and beyond the norm. My point is that those who perseverate on water intake tend to consume WAAAAYYYYY more than they need.

Your logic is flawed in that it makes an assumption that resistance training is going to significantly increases one's need for fluids. It doesn't.

chris mason
12-30-2008, 01:31 PM
What would you call normal circumstances and how do you gauge whether or not you're properly hydrated.

I'm with you in that I don't aim for a certain amount of water per day... I drink when I'm thirsty and if my pee isn't clear (or at least close to it) then I have a glass or two of water.

Your pee doesn't have to be clear for you to be hydrated.

Just drink as you would by instinct and don't worry about it... That is my point.

GerSmith
12-30-2008, 01:32 PM
Sure it does, but drinking too much water doesn't improve anything above and beyond the norm. My point is that those who perseverate on water intake tend to consume WAAAAYYYYY more than they need.

Your logic is flawed in that it makes an assumption that resistance training is going to significantly increases one's need for fluids. It doesn't.

could dehydrated muscle cells not increase the possibilities of injuries with resistance training? Reason i ask is that i constantly get advised by my physio who has been educated specifically towards sports to consume a lot of water. I had a major injury back in feb of this year and his analysis resulted in my lack of hydration being one of many factors.

i agree with what your saying about consuming way too much. as long as i'm pissing clear then im happy and i can definately feel a difference in being hydrated and being dehydrated.

chris mason
12-30-2008, 11:09 PM
could dehydrated muscle cells not increase the possibilities of injuries with resistance training? Reason i ask is that i constantly get advised by my physio who has been educated specifically towards sports to consume a lot of water. I had a major injury back in feb of this year and his analysis resulted in my lack of hydration being one of many factors.

i agree with what your saying about consuming way too much. as long as i'm pissing clear then im happy and i can definately feel a difference in being hydrated and being dehydrated.

Whose analysis was it that determined your lack of hydration was a mitigating factor?

You do realize that it would be virtually impossible to come to that conclusion with any degree of certainty? Why? Well, the relative hydration of the body is something that can and does flucuate rather easily and frequently.

There is water in virtually EVERYTHING.

Anyway, drink to your heart's content.

dlutz74
01-01-2009, 01:39 AM
i usually drink at least a gallon every day.

NJPWRLFTR
01-01-2009, 08:55 AM
Gallon or more..

BloodyDeadliftr
01-01-2009, 10:38 AM
About a gallon

Pitbull3291
01-01-2009, 12:41 PM
Drink Mountain Dew if u wanna be jacked, scientifically proven.

Sources: WIKIPEDIA

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
01-01-2009, 01:43 PM
I currently drink 2 liters of H20 and 2 liters from 1% milk, green tea,V-8 Fusion, 100% orange juice and grape juice.