PDA

View Full Version : Marriage, Children and Training

johnnyo_99
12-29-2008, 07:39 PM
Being a new dad myself I was curious to find out how many out there is married, has children or single and how it affects your training, progress, diet and schedules.

I'm married and have a 2 month old son. Having a 2 month old has destroyed my sleep routine and recovery times have slowed but I'm fighting through it. My wife is very understanding of my workout schedule and I also do all my training in my garage so its easy to workout at anytime. In the end its all about priorities and never making excuses not to train.

Ben Moore
12-29-2008, 08:19 PM
You can't make excuses, but you also have to find a balance to make sure you're catching all the little things the new one is doing. I have 3 little girls and I get up at 5am on most days to go train. You'll find a way to get it done.

geoffsherman
12-29-2008, 08:40 PM
I am interested in the results of this as well as my wife and I are trying to have our firstchild. I am super excited about the prospect, but curious about what I should plan on training wise. I have usually been a lunchtime or after work lifter. I already began lobbying to put a gym in the garage, but I haven't convinced the wife on that one.

Ben Moore
12-29-2008, 08:44 PM
One tip of advice for you home lifters - get your kids into the gym early so they're accustomed to dropping weights etc. My 5 and 2 year old have both grown up around the gym and they love going now. I had them in there from 3 weeks old just sleeping in their swing or seat. They'll even ride on the sled and stuff while I'm training.

whotime
12-29-2008, 09:00 PM
i have been married for 3 years and have 2 kids, and i just lifty when i get off of work i go to the gym at 5 get home at 7 on monday, wed and fri.

Captain_Crunch
12-29-2008, 09:03 PM
Hey Ben. I am much the same with 3 girls. I to had them at the gym early and now they don't mind coming with me when need be to hang out while we train. Because we have an open area for sled dragging indoors and other things we keep tennis stuff, soccer balls and other sports equipment for them to use when training gets a little long.

johnnyo_99
12-29-2008, 09:24 PM
I am interested in the results of this as well as my wife and I are trying to have our firstchild. I am super excited about the prospect, but curious about what I should plan on training wise. I have usually been a lunchtime or after work lifter. I already began lobbying to put a gym in the garage, but I haven't convinced the wife on that one.

first make sure she understands how serious you are about your training, my wife had a hard time allowing me to spend so much money on my equipment (expect her to want something for herself of equal value!). but it should be about a 5 year payout if compaired to monthly gym charges. second of all you don't have to travel to the gym and your right there if she needs help with anything.

we have our boy going to bed at 8 every night so i do my training tue/wed from 8-10pm and then on sat/sun i do my other two days of training. i used to do my training after work but stopped that because thats the best time to spend with my boy.

Reko
12-29-2008, 10:23 PM
I am in the single category

Brad08
12-30-2008, 05:52 AM
I've got a son due in a few months, and I've switched to 5:30-6:30am training to free up my evenings completely so the family doesn't have to work around my lifting schedule. We'll see what the next year brings.

Illinimeats
12-30-2008, 06:08 AM
I'm glad to hear that I am swimming in familiar waters. I'm a new dad (15 week old little girl) and new to powerlifting. There are times I hit the gym and just want to sleep on the bench rather than lift. But she's starting to sleep longer and the lifting is getting better.

Illinimeats

jefflance1
12-30-2008, 06:55 AM
I've been married for 10 years with a 4 year old and 6 month old daughters. I don't have it as bad as some of you guys because my work has a gym on site that I use during a long lunch and then I just eat my food at my desk after I am through. Also, my wife is a stay at home mom and we made an agreement that she would get up at night through the week with the baby so I don't fall asleep at work. The home gym thing works great too and I have gotten my 4 year old interested in watching daddy work out on Sunday mornings. She likes to walk on the tread mill and watch cartoons while daddy is busting a gut lifting in the other part of the room. I hope that this is setting a good example for her that will be ingrained for the rest of her life. The number one thing to remember is your children are only little once and it's scary how fast they grow up. It doesn't seem like my first daughter has been with us for over 4 years now. Don't miss out on your children for the sake of lifting; find time for both in your life and you will be a very happy person.

Lones Green
12-30-2008, 07:03 AM
It's hard enough for me planning my schedule with work and school, and I'm single. When I get married, I will have a home gym already, so that will make things a bit easier.

banger
12-30-2008, 07:35 AM
I've been married for 12 years, and have an 8 and 4 year old boy. I've been getting up earlier in the morning to bang out cardio, and I'm lucky enough (like Jeff Lance) to do my workouts over the lunch hour, and eat my lunch at my desk, with an occasionaly longer session after work. It's train after work like I used to in the good old BC (before children) days, so I got to pack in what I can.

Training after work is fine for now, but as they get older, the less of that after work time you are going to have! Activities, homework, make supper (if your wife works like mine), after school functions, etc. Your only time to train that you are going to find is earlier in the morning (which I hate) or over your lunch hour (basically any time you are free from your kids).

BTW, even just getting an hour a day in for training, I've increased my bench from a 305 max to a 330 max, so don't get discouraged in the quantity of training you get, make sure it is quality training.

Kim

Guido
12-30-2008, 07:49 AM
I've been married for about 5 years now and luckily my wife into lifting as much as I am. We train together Monday, Wednesday, Friday after I get off work (she is in school getting a PhD so she has some more flexibility schedulewise). We will probably be having kids in a couple years when she is done but I'm sure we'll figure out a way to work around it because training is just too important to us.

Eric Downey
12-30-2008, 08:32 AM
Married for 5 year. she understands now. it took awhile

bill
12-30-2008, 09:07 AM
Married 9 yrs, we have three and you will miss a work out here and there. You have to look at the big picture though over long span missing a work out won't hurt your progress. Missing big events with your kids is more rewarding and you'll still get all the PR's in the end. Going to the school and seeing others parents around my age I know lifting is worth it. My wife sends me to the gym sometimes ha ha glad to have me out of her hair I guess.

jbrin0tk
12-30-2008, 09:16 AM
I've been married for about 9 months now, and unfortunately, my wife does not understand my passion for lifting at all! Now that makes her sound bad, but she is cool with me going to the gym whenever I want and she works around our plans so that I will have time to go to the gym. It's hard to ask for more. She's starting to accept the fact that this is something that I really care about and put a lot of hard work into; not just some crazy whim I've gotten. She's a great girl; she just thinks I'm nuts for wanting to lift so much!

bill
12-30-2008, 09:25 AM
I've been married for about 9 months now, and unfortunately, my wife does not understand my passion for lifting at all! Now that makes her sound bad, but she is cool with me going to the gym whenever I want and she works around our plans so that I will have time to go to the gym. It's hard to ask for more. She's starting to accept the fact that this is something that I really care about and put a lot of hard work into; not just some crazy whim I've gotten. She's a great girl; she just thinks I'm nuts for wanting to lift so much!

It takes time for them to get used to it. I think there is some jealousy or whatever as to why we need to go at first. Now my wife is my biggest supporter.

jbrin0tk
12-30-2008, 09:29 AM
It takes time for them to get used to it. I think there is some jealousy or whatever as to why we need to go at first. Now my wife is my biggest supporter.

Thanks for the input, man. I agree; I think there was some kind of jealousy issue at first, but now I really do think she's starting to come around to it a little bit. She's still not really crazy about it, but I think she is becoming more accepting of it as time goes on.

Ben Moore
12-30-2008, 10:42 AM
IIt doesn't seem like my first daughter has been with us for over 4 years now. Don't miss out on your children for the sake of lifting; find time for both in your life and you will be a very happy person.

This is huge - couldn't agree more.

WillNoble
12-30-2008, 11:43 AM
Single, will most likely get engaged sometime in 2009

Ben Moore
12-30-2008, 11:45 AM

Sheep don't count Will, LOL.

WillNoble
12-30-2008, 11:48 AM
Sheep don't count Will, LOL.

no, but the blind woman Im dating doesnt seem to mind my gut or my BBQ'ing

FFHill
12-30-2008, 12:05 PM
I'm married and have two little girls. 20 months and 6 months. I have found that to prevent training from interfering with family or vise versa that training at 6 a.m. works out well. I'm usually done and home before my girls are up. I miss a lot of time with my wife and girls because of my work schedule, so I try to keep any other things from taking more time away if I can help it.

Brad08
12-30-2008, 12:51 PM

How many times do we have to tell you?? Only VERMONT allows that, bro.

BFGUITAR
12-30-2008, 02:32 PM
Any parents here with lovely 17-20 year old girls in the Toronto area? :D

RHarris
12-30-2008, 05:02 PM
OK.. A topic that I may even have “elite” status in. Been with the same gal 26+ years now and have been a competitive PL’r for the over ten. Does she really understand my passion for lifting? Probably not, but she does accept that its part of who I am and like some of you other old-timers she’s just glad I have a place to go and not bother her so much. Besides, she has recognized that its occasionally handy to have a dumb brute handy who delights in picking up heavy stuff.

Now a bit of advice for you young bucks (carrying this over from my post on the Christmas present thread)… Don’t wait or even ask the wife or girlfriend for lifting gear/supplies as presents. Seriously, do we really want them to know how much this crap costs and how much we spend on it? Buy what you can, when you can and try to keep it of the radar…LOL

All kidding aside, our families are our true reason for existence. Value them and things will work out.

Best,
Robert Harris
Las Vegas, NV

BFGUITAR
12-30-2008, 05:09 PM
OK.. A topic that I may even have “elite” status in. Been with the same gal 26+ years now and have been a competitive PL’r for the over ten. Does she really understand my passion for lifting? Probably not, but she does accept that its part of who I am and like some of you other old-timers she’s just glad I have a place to go and not bother her so much. Besides, she has recognized that its occasionally handy to have a dumb brute handy who delights in picking up heavy stuff.

Now a bit of advice for you young bucks (carrying this over from my post on the Christmas present thread)… Don’t wait or even ask the wife or girlfriend for lifting gear/supplies as presents. Seriously, do we really want them to know how much this crap costs and how much we spend on it? Buy what you can, when you can and try to keep it of the radar…LOL

All kidding aside, our families are our true reason for existence. Value them and things will work out.
go
Best,
Robert Harris
Las Vegas, NV

Hahahhaha wow your right. My dad came in like a few hours ago and runs down to the basement. He than comes up and says "Come down check it out, I bought a new guitar, don't tell mom".

rager2500
01-03-2009, 01:38 AM
Well, its refeshing to see a thread like this. I am a new dad, my son is only 7 days old. Its 12.33AM and I am still awake because he is crying so damn much, but its all worth it. I used to be a partier going out every night and not coming home till 5 or 6 in the morning. Ran my own company and loved every minute of it. Did things most would only dream of.

NOW, I am changing diapers, cuddling with my new son, and completely domesticated. We stay in and watch TV, play with my son, and all that good stuff.

I NOW, fly for my work on Monday nights and I don't return until Friday afternoon. This will change because I want to be with my family as much as possible.

As far as training goes, yes it does impede into my training. You just find a way around it just like anything else.

Fuzzy
01-03-2009, 06:05 AM
I'm Lebanese.

Give me another year and I will be married to 4 women with 5 kids.

Awesome.

mikesbench
01-04-2009, 10:05 AM
Been married about 4 years and no kids so far. She has been great about accepting my lifting, even being gone from like 8 am til 4 pm some saturdays to run around lifting with multiple groups in different areas.
Basically the last girl I dated before meeting my wife was HORRIBLE with me doing anything that wasn't with her. She would nag me if I wanted to get to bed early so I could hunt he next morning, or nag me that I had so little time on saturdays becuase of training. So from this experience I learned that I had to make it clear up front that this WILL NOT change so she has to be willing to accept this as part of who I am because my training has molded my life and is responsible for much of my personality / experiences so to remove it would be essentially killing a part of me; if she loves me there's no way that's an option.

I'm glad I explaned to her how important lifting was to me because she has rarely complained about it at all, just small things like; "I wish we could get out of town for the weekend, but you have to train", and occasionally we will plan a trip and I'll skip the gym, so her patience and acceptance has paid off for both of us.

No kids for me so far, so I can't say how this might change things; but I'm very motivated to continue powerlifting as long as I'm able. I assume I'll overcome that time obstacle too when it comes up; but I know it's tough enough already to get together with other lifters and with ideal atmosphere and equipment. I think the best way for me to deal with that would be like a few of the guys mentioned about letting the kids tag along to the gym. I'd love it if I raised a little lifter, and even if that doesn't happen I think it would make for some great bonding time.

Pitbull3291
01-04-2009, 04:02 PM
I've got a son due in a few months, and I've switched to 5:30-6:30am training to free up my evenings completely so the family doesn't have to work around my lifting schedule. We'll see what the next year brings.

grats man

Chris Smith
01-05-2009, 10:38 PM
I have been married for almost 8 years, and have a 4 year old son. When he was a new born, and I didn't have someone to witch him, I would take him to the gym with me, and keep him in his "pumpkin seat" while I trained, and just moved him with me throughout the gym. My wife has been pretty cool, as I was competing before we met, and knows that powerlifting is a part of my life. I used to travel 45 minutes 4-5 times per week to train, but now I have started my own private gym in my town, and just travel on ME Bench day. My boy occasionally goes with me to the gym, and has a blast--getting chalk all over him, drinking gatorade and climbing on the machines. I need to get some video of him sometime to post--he wears a skull cap, with chalk all over him--looks hardcore, except for the Scooby Doo shirt. LOL.

Smitty

given'er
01-05-2009, 10:51 PM
I'm married with a 7yr old and 11yr old, both boys. I am also a shift worker(12 hr shifts days/nights weekdays and weekends) Put all that together and it makes it very difficult to follow any type of routine or schedual. I used to get pretty stressed about missing a workout or a meal or not getting enough sleep while tying to raise a family, go to the kids sporting events or whatever else life throws in . It took me a longtime to realize life's too short and kids grow up too fast to be stressed all the time. I work out when I can eat as well as I can and enjoy life. Some weeks I get 5 workouts in, some weeks I may ony get 2 so I think I do pretty well all things considered. I also have a very understanding wife which helps :)

Andre518
01-06-2009, 10:19 AM
For me its tough I stay home during the day with my 2 year old daughter while my girlfriend works. When she gets home I go to work from 5pm-1am then I hit the gym grom about 1:45am-3-3:30am and Im up at 7:30am-8am to do it all over again. The thing that sucks the most is the only gym that fits my schedule at this time is Planet Fitness.

Tekn50
01-07-2009, 08:40 PM
I am married with a 10 month old. The first two months werent to bad. It was when the first tooth started coming in. No sleep at all. It was hard, but at 3 months I was able to take her to the daycare at the gym. My training was real spotty and on the lite side. Until about 6 months old, then sleeping and full swing. :hello:

Sensei
01-09-2009, 09:29 AM
I wrote an article for this edition of Dan John's Get Up! newsletter - the topic is time-management tips for new and expecting fathers. Hope you like it: http://danjohn.org/rkc.pdf

By the way, my wife doesn't understand my passion for lifting at all, but honestly I don't expect anyone to.

johnnyo_99
01-09-2009, 09:20 PM
I wrote an article for this edition of Dan John's Get Up! newsletter - the topic is time-management tips for new and expecting fathers. Hope you like it: http://danjohn.org/rkc.pdf

By the way, my wife doesn't understand my passion for lifting at all, but honestly I don't expect anyone to.

great article

RevTodd
01-10-2009, 04:38 PM
Married 20 years with 2 boys aged 16 and 17. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Painlayer
01-11-2009, 10:39 AM
I have been married for 5 years as of the 9th of this month actually lol, No kids thus far, And even without ive had a hard time getting my wife to adjust to the life of someone so dedicated to the lifting game...........Definitly takes some time AND understanding on there part, Especially if there NOT interested in what you do.

Erik2003
01-13-2009, 05:21 AM
Thanks for the thread. My wife is in her first trimester. I lerarned alot here. Hopefully, this will guide me to continue to lift when things get difficult. Nice to see other wives working with their husbands in thier powerlifting. Was also great to see people bringing their kids nto the gym.

Me, I kind of just started powelifting. Been doing it for one year and will be entering my second competition. Also cannot wait for the little one to be around. Would love to take them to the gym. Would also be fun to lift along side the little one. No reason to start teaching them to lift while they are young.