PDA

View Full Version : 805 trap bar deadlift double

thewicked
12-29-2008, 10:04 PM
TcXCpSNOEa8

how would this carry over to the conventional barbell pull? in two weeks I do a rotation on the lower handles...if I can pull well over 700 on this no problem at the normal barbell height, what is that a sign of that i'm weak in? I know they're both different movements but i know they have to compliment each other in some way. The bar is right on my center of gravity, the weight is closer to center mass, and the handle positions are obviously different.

still can't pull 700 from teh floor conventional.. what's the deal! :confused:

Travis Bell
12-29-2008, 10:11 PM
I edited it so your video showed up Ryan.

Very very nice work!

You used your hips!!!! Now just do that with an Olympic bar and you'll be good to go. You'll deadlift a lot more than 700 if you can drop your hips like you did just there in that trap bar vid.

thewicked
12-29-2008, 10:13 PM
I edited it so your video showed up Ryan.

Very very nice work!

You used your hips!!!! Now just do that with an Olympic bar and you'll be good to go. You'll deadlift a lot more than 700 if you can drop your hips like you did just there in that trap bar vid.

seriously? :confused:

chris mason
12-29-2008, 10:30 PM
You're a beast!

Travis Bell
12-29-2008, 10:31 PM
Yes seriously LOL. Your normal deads look like a stiff legged dead. You don't really use your hips and glutes much at all and your knees end up locking out long before your hips get close.

That trap bar dead on the other hand was just what you need man. Nice and smooth because your hips were synched with your legs.

And yes I do honestly believe you'll pull much more than 700 once you tune your form.

That said, try and resist the temptation to go to the gym tomorrow and max out your regular dead. Just work on dropping the hips on some lighter weights for awhile til you get the hang of it

thewicked
12-29-2008, 10:35 PM
Yes seriously LOL. Your normal deads look like a stiff legged dead. You don't really use your hips and glutes much at all and your knees end up locking out long before your hips get close.

That trap bar dead on the other hand was just what you need man. Nice and smooth because your hips were synched with your legs.

And yes I do honestly believe you'll pull much more than 700 once you tune your form.

That said, try and resist the temptation to go to the gym tomorrow and max out your regular dead. Just work on dropping the hips on some lighter weights for awhile til you get the hang of it

oh i'm not going to max the dead for another 6 weeks..i have a trap bar rotation on the lower handles with the bar to, again, emphasize more hip work which was what it was meant to do to begin with....haha the more you say that travis and the more i've thought about it.. i really do dip down alot more and push so much harder with my legs this way than I do normally. i need to get the bar right up against me and sit back and down when i pull and you're right i think it'll go.

Ben Moore
12-29-2008, 10:40 PM
Same thing I was going to say - you use your legs alot more in the trap bar but there's no reason it should be that big of a difference unless there's a form issue.

freeride
12-29-2008, 11:14 PM
Very easy, dude. Good lift.

SGT ROCK
12-30-2008, 12:57 AM
TcXCpSNOEa8

how would this carry over to the conventional barbell pull? in two weeks I do a rotation on the lower handles...if I can pull well over 700 on this no problem at the normal barbell height, what is that a sign of that i'm weak in? I know they're both different movements but i know they have to compliment each other in some way. The bar is right on my center of gravity, the weight is closer to center mass, and the handle positions are obviously different.

still can't pull 700 from teh floor conventional.. what's the deal! :confused:

Bro that is a great lift! There really is no huge carryover from the gerard bar to the regular pull. There are guys that can pull 800 in the gerard bar that can barely pull over 600 in the regular dl. I would NOT use gerard bar for a max effort excercise if you train that way, better to use a pull that is closer to a contest pull, platform dl, rack type dl, rev band etc. EIther way great lift, but to answer your question, LITTLE or NO carryover to the regular dl.

Semper Fi

Lones Green
12-30-2008, 03:19 AM
Great work.

That thing really puts a lot of stress on the quads. Like SGT ROCK said, i used to use it and saw little carryover to the regular deadlift.

You have 700 in you easy if you get your hips down!

vdizenzo
12-30-2008, 08:26 AM
Nice work. Question for you, why are you pulling from the high handles?

=Travis=
12-30-2008, 09:45 AM
How long are the sleeves on that bar that enable you to load that much weight? Just curious because I'm wanting to get a hex bar but the standard ones only hold about 600.

thewicked
12-30-2008, 11:42 AM
hey vin.. just because i wanted to rotate them into my program..high handles..next time low handles, then progress forward throguh my other deadlift variations. =travis= on the bar length i'm honeslty not really sure.

GerSmith
12-30-2008, 01:16 PM
thats awesome stuff!!

Do you reckon that trap bars could be used as a reptition exercise to help your raw squat??