PDA

View Full Version : How long should I Maintain Bulking Calories?

MCC
12-30-2008, 10:01 AM
I have been bulking for around 2 months, and I am close to reaching my target weight. Once I reach my target weight, what is a good length of time to continue my bulking calories before starting to cut? Thanks in advance.

Ben Moore
12-30-2008, 11:47 AM
Depends on your goals and how you look/feel.

MCC
12-30-2008, 11:51 AM
Depends on your goals and how you look/feel.

My goals are to gain and maintain as much mass as possible, but cut the fat built up during the bulk. Does it benefit the muscles to maintain a high calorie diet for a while after reaching the target body weight?

jAy_Dub
12-30-2008, 01:05 PM
My goals are to gain and maintain as much mass as possible, but cut the fat built up during the bulk. Does it benefit the muscles to maintain a high calorie diet for a while after reaching the target body weight?

It definitely helps to maintain your weight for a few weeks before cutting. I remember when I first started dieting I had been bulking for a few months and with no break decided to cut. I lost TONS of muscle. My suggestion is to maintain for a few weeks and slowly cut calories (250 or so each time you feel you're not making progress) until you decide your lean enough to start upping the cals. I'd also suggest to maintain for a while after your cut so you dont add body fat too quickly (I've also made this mistake a couple times). Its all about listening and watching how your body responds.

MCC
12-30-2008, 01:28 PM
It definitely helps to maintain your weight for a few weeks before cutting. I remember when I first started dieting I had been bulking for a few months and with no break decided to cut. I lost TONS of muscle. My suggestion is to maintain for a few weeks and slowly cut calories (250 or so each time you feel you're not making progress) until you decide your lean enough to start upping the cals. I'd also suggest to maintain for a while after your cut so you dont add body fat too quickly (I've also made this mistake a couple times). Its all about listening and watching how your body responds.

Thanks for the info jAy_Dub.