View Full Version : 170kg SLDL to 3RM & 80kg Squat Clean

ZenMonkey
12-31-2008, 12:53 PM
Stuff from today's WO:

170kg SLDL to 3RM
9Hp_dC4hBCQ

80kg Squat Clean
_W0izWqH1bQ

I know theres a ton of stuff going on with my clean. First and foremost is nailing my olympic squat- which I am working on. I am still failing to shrug hard and keeping my arms straight through the 2nd pull. ugh... more form work.

Any advice is appericiated.

Cheers!

CleverName
12-31-2008, 03:41 PM
Faster elbows on that clean!!
Still not seeing much of a shrug, but it may just be the video.
Push those knees out when coming up, not in
You're right that you're still bending your elbows a bit too early

Keep at it though..!

ZenMonkey
12-31-2008, 03:47 PM
Faster elbows on that clean!!
Still not seeing much of a shrug, but it may just be the video.
Push those knees out when coming up, not in
You're right that you're still bending your elbows a bit too early

Keep at it though..!

Thanks man. I appericiate the notes on it!
My third pull blows. I am trying to work it out with my coach. I feel really set back because of my squats. I learned to squat through SS and am having alot of trouble getting the flexibility I need to oly squat.

KingWilder
12-31-2008, 06:16 PM
Looks like you're straining your neck a little too much on those SLDL's. Try relaxing it a bit..try "looking down" a little more.

Some good information here:
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/rdl-vs-sldl.html

ZenMonkey
12-31-2008, 06:40 PM
Looks like you're straining your neck a little too much on those SLDL's. Try relaxing it a bit..try "looking down" a little more.

Some good information here:
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/rdl-vs-sldl.html

Good call. Thanks man! I want to maintain an arched back so I guess Ill just keep my neck flat as I go down.

Pitbull3291
12-31-2008, 11:43 PM
yeah i noticed on your clean you are arming it up ALOT, practice just doing shrugs with light weight, and remember to catch the weight on the bottom. unless your trying to squat it after you catch it.

ZenMonkey
01-01-2009, 08:38 AM
yeah i noticed on your clean you are arming it up ALOT, practice just doing shrugs with light weight, and remember to catch the weight on the bottom. unless your trying to squat it after you catch it.

Thanks for the advice!

It looks like my arms only become involved at the end of the 2nd pull. It looks like they only become involved just a moment or two before they are suposed to. I wish the video quality was better so I could have a better idea. I dont really think Im "arming it up" all that much. :confused:

Pitbull3291
01-01-2009, 11:57 AM
i thought the video quality was great, i wish i had a camera like that lol. anyways i haven't been with my coach for months so maybe im not used to watching lifts. i could be wrong, still great vids = )

ZenMonkey
01-01-2009, 12:31 PM
i thought the video quality was great, i wish i had a camera like that lol. anyways i haven't been with my coach for months so maybe im not used to watching lifts. i could be wrong, still great vids = )
Haha, the video camera was a free giveaway!

Im still very novice with it. I only began seeing my coach about 2-3 months ago. Thanks for the advice man! I appericiate it

brihead301
01-01-2009, 01:24 PM
I'm no form expert, but nice lifts! Especially the full clean.

MNRob
01-01-2009, 03:32 PM
I'm gonna be the negative nancy. Get rid of the wrist raps, if you cant overhand your SLDL weight your grip is lacking, and 170 isn't that much to overhand (374 lbs). Pop your hips through at the top more, "hump the bar".

Most has already been said about the clean, but stay off your toes at the top of it, that is what is going to make you start to fall forward, push off on those heals.

All my humble opinion.

Notorious
01-01-2009, 04:27 PM
For the clean, focus on extending your hips as hard as you can as soon as the bar brushes about 2/3 of the way up your thigh. Don't think about shrugging, it will come naturally with the hip extension (as you get more experienced, you can probably shrug harder by thinking about it). It looks like you are not extending at all, and are just pulling it up with your arms. You also stomp your feet on the ground before the bar racks on your shoulders, which signals an arm pull. You are using the hook grip, right?

Also looks to me like the front squat is a little wide, maybe it is a flexibility issue?

And MNRob, I believe Zen had some kind of hand injury, which is why his grip might be lacking.

MNRob
01-01-2009, 05:07 PM
I did not know of the hand injury, my bad.

ZenMonkey
01-02-2009, 12:08 PM
I'm gonna be the negative nancy. Get rid of the wrist raps, if you cant overhand your SLDL weight your grip is lacking, and 170 isn't that much to overhand (374 lbs). Pop your hips through at the top more, "hump the bar".

Most has already been said about the clean, but stay off your toes at the top of it, that is what is going to make you start to fall forward, push off on those heals.

All my humble opinion.

you... negative nancy.

More hip extension is def on my list. Thanks man!

-- oh yea.. I destroied the middle finger on each hand a few months back. So my hook grip is super painful still and conventional grip it pretty bad too. They are getting better but I probably will be using straps on the stuff over120kilos. Theres just too much pressure on those fingers.

Thanks again for the critique.

For the clean, focus on extending your hips as hard as you can as soon as the bar brushes about 2/3 of the way up your thigh. Don't think about shrugging, it will come naturally with the hip extension (as you get more experienced, you can probably shrug harder by thinking about it). It looks like you are not extending at all, and are just pulling it up with your arms. You also stomp your feet on the ground before the bar racks on your shoulders, which signals an arm pull. You are using the hook grip, right?

Also looks to me like the front squat is a little wide, maybe it is a flexibility issue?

And MNRob, I believe Zen had some kind of hand injury, which is why his grip might be lacking.

thanks man. all good stuff. Flexibility is a major problem for me I am trying to work through.

I appericiate the advice man. Thanks