PDA

View Full Version : Lifting with real powerlifters

bill
01-01-2009, 10:49 AM
Vinny and Rhodes had pushed me to find someone stronger to lift with on another forum. They may not remember. I finally found someone I can hopefully lift with fairly regular. Nothing like having to strip the bar each set because you can't keep up. ha I guess for someone that does this as hobby but is a competitive person it's quite motivating. It's also hard to pretend 365 is heavy when the other guy is doing 545.

So for all of the guys that are really looking to take things to the next level find someone to push your levels in 2009.
I'm using results now also and feel like I'm finally getting stronger again.

mastermonster
01-01-2009, 12:00 PM
You're right! There's no substitute for training with lifters who exceed or can challenge you. It makes you have to get better if you have the competitiveness it takes to truely excel at this sport. When I really want a reality check, and motivation to bust it harder; I'll go a couple of times a year and train with Garry Frank and the Hardcore Barbell guys...that will deflate your head a few notches and make you realize you've still got a long way to go! The 1st time I trained with them they started warming up on the Squat with 407 lbs.! That will get your attention real quick! By the way; the next warmup set was 617! Even the 198ers!!! 617 is where Garry started by the way. He waited until 903 for his next set! Then 1032...in briefs and belt only! This was his 1st squat day after a 6 week layoff after a WPO meet. Yep! Humbled me and motivated me all at the same time!

Lones Green
01-01-2009, 03:53 PM
Lifting with guys stronger than me has been the #1 reason I've improved. I watch a 198 squat 825 and it lights a flame under me.

johnnyo_99
01-01-2009, 06:56 PM
lifting alone sucks, the closest i can get is reading WBB and watching videos of the strong guys on here. Im still a beginner so gains come easy, at some point I'm going to have to find some guys to lift with.

Detard
01-01-2009, 10:51 PM
Agreed. Training with guys stronger than you makes a world of difference in this sport.

Eric Downey
01-01-2009, 11:43 PM
even witha 700 lbs bench jesse puts me in my place on the regular with 800+. i can keep up plenty raw but in the shirt my tech lacks

Fuzzy
01-02-2009, 02:29 AM
I developed and grew as a person because of the guys i train with. I may be a strong 16 year old with potential, but I mean **** ****ing all compared to the 700 pound monsters I lift with.

Nothing teaches you respect like ripping 4 reds off the bar so you can quickly do your set.... or having your ass handed to you by a 108 pound female

RhodeHouse
01-02-2009, 09:26 AM
I developed and grew as a person because of the guys i train with. I may be a strong 16 year old with potential, but I mean **** ****ing all compared to the 700 pound monsters I lift with.

Nothing teaches you respect like ripping 4 reds off the bar so you can quickly do your set.... or having your ass handed to you by a 108 pound female

That's why you excel as a lifter and, I'd guess, as a person. You have a sense of humility that too many young guys don't understand. Especially on the internet. Good for you and a lot of respect to your parents for keeping your young ass in line. :tuttut:

Ben Moore
01-02-2009, 09:26 AM
And from the shadows he returns...

geoffsherman
01-02-2009, 04:00 PM
I know that I really miss having other powerlifters to work out with. You really miss that push that you get from being in that sort of atmosphere.

vdizenzo
01-02-2009, 09:08 PM
Vinny and Rhodes had pushed me to find someone stronger to lift with on another forum. They may not remember. I finally found someone I can hopefully lift with fairly regular. Nothing like having to strip the bar each set because you can't keep up. ha I guess for someone that does this as hobby but is a competitive person it's quite motivating. It's also hard to pretend 365 is heavy when the other guy is doing 545.

So for all of the guys that are really looking to take things to the next level find someone to push your levels in 2009.
I'm using results now also and feel like I'm finally getting stronger again.

Great post. Glad it's working out for you. Rhodes and I rarely say something helpful.