PDA

View Full Version : olympic lifts

slashkills
01-02-2009, 07:23 PM
I was watching videos on youtube and there are a few lifts i have questions about. Are the clean & press, Clean & jerk, and push jerk the same lifts?because ive seen a few videos all called something different but the lifts where pretty similiar. And then what is the best way to work these into a routine for football that has me working out 4 times a week doing bench,squat, and deadlift?

jed
01-02-2009, 07:28 PM
slash is the best guitarist to ever live.

clean and press, usually, is power clean + standing press.

clean and jerk, usually, is full clean + jerk (OH press with the feet n stuff involved - you saw it in the vids id imagine)

push jerk, i believe, is the same as a jerk, but without the clean. so only the second half of the C+J. i think.

and IMO, do power cleans for football. that or full cleans. maybe on the day you dont do one of the big three.

slashkills
01-02-2009, 07:35 PM
thanks that is alot more clear than the vids on youtube. The only thing i was thinking is doing a clean & press or clean & jerk is they have more shoulder involvement

jed
01-02-2009, 08:01 PM
yes adding the press/jerk is fine, but be sure you know how proper form if doing clean+jerk cuz thats very important. doing just power clean and press would be simpler if your inexperienced (as many are) with olympic style movements.

Ben Moore
01-02-2009, 10:57 PM
A true jerk has no press to lockout - a power jerk is one in which the legs are above parallel at the lowest point.