PDA

View Full Version : CP's Journey to the next level

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

cphafner
01-04-2009, 11:26 AM
I've had a longstanding journal on this site, and decided since this is a big year for me that it was time for a new journal. The journey to the next level pertains to growth both in and out of the gym. This year holds some personal milestones for myself. This fall I will turn 30. In a couple of weeks I begin getting my MBA part time. My career has progressed in the past year and a half and is poised for a big jump this year. In the gym I plan to finally push over 200lbs. Depending on how the next 5-6 months go, I might get my butt back on stage around the time I turn 30. I want to prove to myself that 30 is just another number and you can be in the best shape of your life even though you hit a milestone number. I was planning this anyway, but this past week reinforced it. I went snowboarding with my brother and a number of his friends. They ranged from 29 to 35. I was amazed how fat and out of shape they had gotten. Some of these guys were elite (all-state) athletes in high school,one a D1 athelete, and one nearly an olympic skiier. They were all amazed with the shape I was in. I was appalled by how they looked. Things like that stoke my fire.

I plan on achieving my goals by using a DC training template. Diet will be fairly clean. I am aiming at 4200 calories (~300pro, 500carbs, 110fat) a day to start. During 4Q08 that calorie level allowed me to gain pretty consistently. I will reevaluate as needed. Supplements will be Nitrean (as needed to supplement whole food) and Waxy Maize (pre and post w/o). As well as caffeine or a similar stimulant pre w/o.

I had hit 191 prior to the holidays. New years day I stepped on a scale(not my usual one) and was 182.5. I ate crap all week, but it was less calories than normal. I may be the only person that eats like **** and drops weight during the holidays. I'm sure a good deal of it is water weight and will bounce back one I reintroduce more carbs this week. This is my 2nd DC blast. I learned a lot of lessons during the first blast and cruise (what exercises work for me, rep ranges, etc). My template for this blast is listed below:

Upper A
DB Bench
HS Shoulder Press
Dips
Pulldowns
Deadlifts

Lower A
Cybex Preacher Curls
Pinwheel Curls
Leg Press Calf Raise
Lying Hamstring Curls
Cybex Squat Press

Upper B
Smith Incline Bench
Smith Shoulder Press
Smith Close Grip Bench
Chins
DB Rows

Lower B
DB Curls
Hammer Curls
Standing Calf Raise
SLDL
Hoist Leg Press

Upper C
Cybex Incline Bench
Cybex Shoulder Press
Smith Reverse Grip Bench
Pullovers (either BB or cable still undecided)
HS Iso Rows

Lower C
Incline DB Curls
Cable Wrist Curls
Seated Calf Raise
Seated Ham Curls
Cybex Z Squat

A few picture to track progress in this journal. These were taken just now. No pump. Obviously pasty. In the leg photo you can see I took a tumble snowboarding and have a nasty bruise around my knee. Don't expect it to play an issue in the gym this week.

joey54
01-04-2009, 12:50 PM
Looking lean. Time to smash that logbook!!!

RBB
01-04-2009, 03:49 PM
looking solid, cp. best of luck with all your goals this year, brotha. looking forward to seeing you hit 200lbs.

cphafner
01-04-2009, 05:50 PM
Joey: thanks dude. I don't feel lean, but thats normal for me!

RBB: Thanks man. I am looking forward to seeing 200. It will be a cool accomplishment.

DC Upper A:

DB Bench: 105*17 RP (+1 rep)

HS Shoulder Press: 1p+40ps*17 RP (+1 rep)

Smith Close Grip: 215*16 (+1 rep)

Pulldowns: 180*18 RP (same reps...)
->must have missed a workout in my log. Didn't realize I did this weight last time for 18 reps.

Deads: 315*8

tPLkkVzg66Q

Diet Meal short. Slept until 11am. Still catching up on sleep from a week of partying.

Meal 1: Bacon, egg, and cheese on a bagel
Meal 2: 2 scoops nitrean, 2 cups milk, 1 cup oats, 1 tbsp evoo
Meal 3: 1 serving results, 2 scoops nitrean
Meal 4: 2 scoops nitrean, 1/2 cup waxy maize
Meal 5: 6oz burger, 1 slice cheese, yams (75g carbs)
Meal 6: 2 scoops nitrean, 1 tbsp evoo

3,497 cals
93g fat
389g carbs
274g pro

Notes: Weight was 187.6. So I already popped back up 5lbs due to water weight gain. Just what I expected. This workout should have been tomorrow. I normally follow M/W/F. My mom's 60th bday is Wednesday, so this week I will do Sun/Tues/Thurs. Next week back to usual days. Strength was decent. I kept all the pressing and back width at the weight from my final workouts of my blast. Deads I bumped. All exercises are a tad over the rep ranges, so I will bump everything a tad next week. Haven't run my diet yet today.

The new years resolutioners were out in full force tonight. Gym was packed at 6pm on a Sunday. Tons of people getting tours. Sucks. Two stick legs were doing tag team bench of 225-245. 6in ROM and the spotter doing as much pulling as the bencher was pushing. Annoying thing was both had pretty good genetics and upper bodies (well chest and arms) but legs that looked like they might snap under the weight of their upper bodies. Some people we doing **** that baffled my mind. I had my hat on today and just looked down. Some smoking hottie in there tonight. Caught her looking at me a few times. Most guys in the DB areas were doing 30-50s. When I grabbed the 105's she gave me a look. I then banged them out. She had a great rack and pretty firm body. I should have put down the weights and banged her out. I was racking my bar for deads in the power rack. There is really no other place to do it. Some big black dude came over and asked how many sets I had left. He said he wanted to squat. I put the bar on the ground back from the rack so we could both workout. He went up to 405*10 on squats. He was coming down to a bench. He was slamming the bench kind of hard and then popping up. Not the best form, but still was big and moving some weight. Nice guy too. He was talking to himself under his breath. Saying light weight. 10 reps. Gotta get it. Good to see some intensity in the gym instead of the normal pansies.

Coke
01-05-2009, 04:32 AM
Only the best for the best, awesome seeing you take everything to the next level!!

WillKuenzel
01-05-2009, 03:18 PM
Deads looked really good. It looks like you might have over extended a tad at the top of the last couple. Be careful of that. I've found that to be a little more ROM than my back prefers. Looks like the back is holding up really good though. Your form through the lift is great.

cphafner
01-05-2009, 08:03 PM
Coke: Thanks man! Always too kind.

Will: Someone said that in the thread in members pics. My last workout partner said the same. I'll try and correct it. Do you stop basically when you get to perpendicular with the floor? I think I do it because I am really trying to swing my hips thru.

Core/Stretching: Pullthrus, roman chair leg raise, foam roller core work, rolling, stretching.

Diet:
Meal 1: 2 cups milk, 2 scoops nitrean, 1 cup oats, 1 tbsp evoo
Meal 2: 2 scoops nitrean, 1 packet oatmeal, 1 cup green tea
Meal 3: 6oz burger, 1 slice cheese, 1/2 can yams, 1 cup green tea
Meal 4: 1 serving results, 2 scoops nitrean
Meal 5: 2 scoops nitrean, 1/2 cup malto
Meal 6: 8 oz roast,mashed sweet taters, 1 cup green tea
Meal 7: 2 scoops nitrean, 1 tbsp evoo

4,152 cals
109g fat
423g carbs
376g pro

Notes: F'in new years resolution crowd filled the gym. I was planning on doing cardio, but everything was filled with out of shape clowns. So just did some stretching and core work. Diet calories were on. I was a bit high on protein and low on carbs, but no biggie.

cphafner
01-06-2009, 07:30 PM
DC Lower A:
Cybex Preacher Curl: 110*16 RP (+10lb, -4reps)
->this was tough, but will go up 5lbs

Pinwheels: 50*10 SS (+5lb, -5 rep)
->not the strictest set. Arms were real tired after preachers

Standing Calf: 240*12 SS (+20lb)
->this weight was perfect. Set took more than 4 agonizing minutes. Up a bit next time.

Lying Leg Curl: 135*12 RP (+5lb, -3 reps)
->another real hard set

Hoist Leg Press: 5p+10*12 (+20, +2 reps), 4p+10*22 (+20lb, +2 reps)

Notes: Weight was 187.5. Gym still packed. Tons of new doucebags. Couple new cute girls. Nothing to drool over. Diet was good. Basically the same as yesterday expect another packet of oatmeal with meal 3 and 1.5 scoops of nitrean instead of 2 in meals 4,5, and 7.

Start grad school tomorrow night. Forgot I have schools on Wednesdays. I guess my workouts will have to remain Sun, tues, and thurs.

joey54
01-06-2009, 07:48 PM
CP we are on the same schedule now. For the standing calf raises, it is cool to RP those things. Probably want a 20-30 RP rep range. Doing the 15 second negative becomes quite the b****. This is a new blast, so don't worry about what you did last workout from the blast before. Just focus on progressing on this blast. Start high in the rep range and try to add weight. After a few blasts look over everything and if you see you have progressed. 10 pounds in an exercise in 3 blasts or soemthing like that, then it is time to drop it. Good work on the leg press.

cphafner
01-08-2009, 07:00 PM
CP we are on the same schedule now. For the standing calf raises, it is cool to RP those things. Probably want a 20-30 RP rep range. Doing the 15 second negative becomes quite the b****. This is a new blast, so don't worry about what you did last workout from the blast before. Just focus on progressing on this blast. Start high in the rep range and try to add weight. After a few blasts look over everything and if you see you have progressed. 10 pounds in an exercise in 3 blasts or soemthing like that, then it is time to drop it. Good work on the leg press.

Thanks for the tips. I love the stretch on the calves, but I can see it hard to keep making gains. Once things start to slow down I will make the switch to RP. Thanks for the tips on the new blast. I finally found a good explanation on IM. Took a ton of searching. I tried to hit the top end of the rep range. Did what they suggested and dropped the weights a bit from the last blast.

http://www.intensemuscle.com/33048-what-weights-start-2nd-blast.html?highlight=blast

HS Chest Press: 2pps+10*16 RP

Smith Military Press: 185*16 RP

Dips: +80*17 RP

V-grip Pulldowns: 170*20 RP
->decided to do these this blast instead of chins. Think these will be easier to make progress on. Too light.

HS Iso Rows: 4pps*12 SS

Diet: Same as Monday. Just over 4200 cals.

Notes: Weight back up to 189. My gym seems to have gained many more gay guys. Today was easily 50/50. I thought 2 guys were going to get whiplash their heads turned so quickly when I walked by. I guess that is the downside of NYC gyms. Not really any new cute girls, which really isn't fair! Decent workout. Very tired today. Only got 5 hours of sleep last night due to grad school kicking off. Professor of my 6pm class didn't show on the first day. What kind of crap is that?

Dkalban
01-08-2009, 07:06 PM
You should try my gym CP, sure it doesnt have all ameneties of a big Manhattan gym (having to be crammed into a small storefront on a busy Brooklyn street), and its full of people whose first language was not english, but at least the dbs will go high enough for you lol.

And where do you work out, the Village? I once walked past a hardcore gym in downtown Manhattan/Chelsea, and it was advertising towards gays, forget the message, just that it had F--- in it.

Sidior
01-08-2009, 08:07 PM
OMG a new journal!!!!

Coke
01-09-2009, 05:53 AM
Gym atmosphere doesn't sound like the greatest but you're keeping focused and on track.

joey54
01-09-2009, 05:17 PM
Exactly what I was talking about with that post CP. Good stuff.

cphafner
01-11-2009, 10:37 AM
Sid: Yeah it was time for a change! Glad you found new one. I don't everyone has.

Coke: It's terrible. I am exploring other options. The cute girl at the gym told me about a location right down the road that is better. Even said the instructor of her class there has a killer lean build with a Jessica Alba butt. Told her I would check the gym and her teacher out.

Joey: Glad to hear. I tried sticking in the higher range again in this last workout.

DC Lower B:
DB Curls: 45*17 RP

Hammer: 50*10 SS
->these were too heavy. Will back off to 45's next time to get higher in rep range. Just barely got the lower end of the range.

Seated Calf: 60*12
->lowered the weight, but still tough

Seated Leg Curl: 140*23 RP
->could have gone a little lighter to get higher in the range (20-30). I'll stick here next time and try to get out an extra couple reps then look to increase the weight the following time.

V Squats: 4pp+25*8, 3pps+25*17 or 18?
ev1GnAcL-n0

0Q6yjegotUg

Notes: Weight was back down to 187.5. Water intake wasn't great, so I'm sure that was the drop. Felt small, weak, and tired during this workout. Worked out in Hoboken. Gym was packed despite this being a Saturday afternoon. Tons of beach muscle types. Saw two ******s wearing black socks over ankle/calves. What is the purpose of this? To keep your ankles/calves warm? I just don't get people some time.

cphafner
01-13-2009, 08:20 PM
DC Upper C:
Smith Incline Bench: 215*15 RP

Cybex Shoulder: 110*19 RP

Smith Reverse Grip Bench: 195*20 RP
->bit too light. Back was cramping...

EZ Curl Pullovers: bar+50*18 RP

DB Rows: 90*15 SS

Notes: Weight was 187. Diet was F'ed today. Stressful day. Didn't get to eat oatmeal at breakfast. Only ate about half my lunch. Screwed up. Sucked. I was pretty pissed. Felt small and weak again. Just in one of those moods. One more workout in this round. Then I'll start again and crank the weights up a little bit. Have a good deal of strength ready to roll for the next round.

Sidior
01-13-2009, 08:54 PM
Sucks about the diet being off. Go get some McDs and ramp those calories up, it will make everything even out ;)

Coke
01-14-2009, 05:52 AM
We all get days like that with the diet or in general...keepin relentless with the efforts CP.

cphafner
01-15-2009, 10:13 PM
Coke and Sid: Things have been a bit crazy, but I'll get thru it! Thanks for the support.

DC Lower C:
Incline Curls: 40*19 RP
->too light, but meant to be a bit higher on the reps

Cable Wrist Curls: 60*14 SS

SLDL: 185*13 SS
->back was really bugging me. Had to do these first while waiting for leg press

Leg Press Calf Raise: 2pps*12 SS
->nasty

Squat Press: 5pps*12, 4pps*15
->I was exhausted by now. The first set was a bit light, so I pushed it, but it wiped out my energy.

Notes: Weight was 188. While I was getting changed a guy in super short shorts, a camo tank top, and listening to dancing queen came in to the locker room...this is the new type of person at my gym...see why it's hard to get motivated. Going to check out a new location with the blond from work that goes to my usual gym. She said it's good and gets less crowded. They have a pool, so going to check that out too.

Booked a flight to Cali for next weekend. The girl I met over Xmas week wants me to come visit. She has been very persuasive :hump::thumbup: Going to spend a night partying in Hollywood or LA with her and then we are heading down to San Diego to party with my brother. Should be a crazy weekend.

cphafner
01-17-2009, 08:54 PM
Upper A - Round 2
DB Bench: 110*12 RP (+5lb, -5 reps)
->first set this felt like nothing. Easiest control I ever had with this weight. Could barely start the 2nd set. Couldn't even think of getting out a third set...

HS Shoulder: 2pps*15 RP (+5, - 2 reps)

Smith Close Grip: 225*14 RP (+10lb, -2 reps)

Pulldowns: 190*17 RP (+10lb, -1 rep)

Deads: 335*7 (+20, -1 rep)
->brutal. First time the weight has really felt heavy in a while. Didn't want to overpush for rep 8.

Notes: Let's not talk weight today. I must be dehydrated. Went to the Knicks game tonight. Never been before. Holy **** tickets were expensive (free for me). Can't believe people pay that much money. Did cardio at a new location on Friday. Actually looks pretty good. Tons of open cardio. Big room with a ton of hammer strength stuff. And the best part is tons of cute girls. Gonna give it a shot on Tuesday or Thursday.

Travis Bell
01-17-2009, 09:30 PM
CP gettin strong!!

Coke
01-18-2009, 07:56 AM
Great job man, impressed with the db bench numbers.

cphafner
01-19-2009, 02:54 PM
Travis: Thanks man. Still a long way to go!

Coke: Thanks. The 110's look huge when my skinny ass holds them, but I should lower them next time.

Cardio: Elliptical - 20 mins on 6 incline @ 4 setting

Diet:
Meal 1: 2 packets Oatmeal, 2 scoops nitrean, 1 tbps evoo
Meal 2: 1.5 scoops nitrean, 80g waxy maize
Meal 3: same as above
Meal 4: Chipotle burrito (chix, extra rice, salsa, and guac)
more to follow...

Notes: Weight was 189.2. Surprised by the jump in weight, but good to see it moving again. Going food shopping in a bit. I'll be back over 190 soon enough.

cphafner
01-20-2009, 09:30 PM
DC Lower A:
DB Curls: 50*16 RP (+5, -1 rep)
->heaviest I've ever curled. Really didn't feel heavy.

Hammer Curls: 50*12 SS (same weight, +2 reps)
->maybe a tad english on last couple. Refused to have the same reps as last time.

Seated Calf: 65*11 SS
->brutal

Seated Leg Curl: 150*13 RP (+15, same reps)
->a bit too heavy, really tough. Jumped more than I should have.

Hoist Leg Press: 5pps+25*12 (+30, same reps), 4pps+25*18 (+30, -4 reps)

Diet:
4,188 cals
107g fat
474g carbs
308g pro

Notes: Weight was 189.5, almost back to 190. Diet was good today. I'm starting to think I should up the protein. I'm 190 now, so if I go by the 2x's rule of thumb I should get up about 80g more. I've been doing more carbs to keep costs down a bit.

Went to the new location today. They didn't have a preacher cybex station. I was shocked by that. That is a norm at most NYSC. Also didn't have a standing calf. Again pretty standard. I moved a couple things up from the next lower body workout. I'll put what I skipped today there. A few big dudes at this gym. Def a better atmosphere. While I was doing leg curls some guy asked one of the other guys for a spot. The potential spotter looked just like Jean Claude Van Damme. It really may have been him. He said no. I was thinking what a jackass. Then I saw this guy do his set. 3 inches of motion and a spotter doing 90% of the work. Now I don't blame the other guy. I was avoiding eye contact best I could to avoid being asked.

Coke
01-23-2009, 06:51 AM
Would be super if you could regularly go to Bev Francis gym on Long Island, now that place rocks.

cphafner
01-24-2009, 03:12 PM
Coke: I wish man. Maybe when I settle down and have a family I can go back there. For now I'll suck it up in the city. When my membership expires at NYSC I might look at some of the bigger gyms, they just aren't as convenient location wise.

Notes: I am alive. I worked out Friday and had a decent session. I'm out in Cali for the weekend. Came out to visit this girl I met over the Holidays in NY. She is a cousin of a girl I went to HS with. Cool chick. Hung out in W Hollywood last night with them. Down in San Diego visiting my brother. Heading down to La Jolla for a bbq in a bit.

cphafner
01-26-2009, 09:13 PM
Upper B:
HS Iso Bench: 2pps+20*16 RP
->can def bump up a bit here.

Smith Mili Press: 195*14 RP
->these felt heavy

Dips: +100*16 RP
->starting to question if these are a good rest pause exercise

Pulldowns: 180*15
->good weight. Will go up 5lbs next time.

Iso Rows: 4pps+10*10
->dying by this point.

Notes: This workout was last Thursday. I went out to Cali for the weekend. Partied on Friday in W Hollywood. Then down to La Jolla/Orange county to see my brother on Saturday. Had a blast. Took it's toll on my diet and rest. I should be sleeping now.

Travis Bell
01-26-2009, 10:16 PM
Good work man.

joey54
01-27-2009, 03:47 PM
Dips: +100*16 RP
->starting to question if these are a good rest pause exercise

I think that is a valid concern, but more importantly, is it an exercise you can make a huge progression in? Maybe something like a floor press, pin press, or something of the such might be better. See where you are at the end of the blast. How is your body holding up?

cphafner
01-27-2009, 11:53 PM
Travis: Thanks man.

Joey: That's a good way to think about it. The answer is probably no.

Notes: Had a bad workout today. Maybe I'll post tomorrow. Terrible day at work. I worked until 8 on Monday. Tonight I was there until 7. I had an awful day. I even made a trading error which I have to deal with tomorrow. Then had a bad workout. Weighed in a couple lbs light. After the workout I realized I lost my lock key. Luckily it's a cheap little lock (I think for suitcases) and I could rip it open by hand w/o the key. Then had to deal with some family issue. Then I had 3 hours of homework to do (my fault for procrastinating). Didn't even eat dinner. Fell short on cals today. I finally got into bed at 1:00. Just as a I was falling asleep I had a little panic attack wondering if I screwed something else up at work. I logged on to my pc remotely and found out I did not. It's now 2am and don't see myself falling asleep anytime soon. Need to be up at 6:30 to start it all over again. Tomorrow night I have work then class until 10, which means I won't get much sleep tomorrow either. Today was just one of those days where nothing could go right. Been that kind of week. I gave a buck to a homeless guy hoping that even the slightest bit of good karma might come my way tomorrow. End of rant. :)

Sidior
01-28-2009, 12:07 AM
Days like that are always rough man. I'm sure good karma is coming.

cphafner
01-29-2009, 09:53 PM
Sid: Not today bro!

Upper C:

Smith Incline 225*13 RP (+10, -2 reps)
->got real heavy on 2nd and 3rd set

Cybex Shoulder: 115*17 RP(+5, -2 reps)

Smith Reverse Grip Bench 200*19 RP(+5, -1 rep)

Pullovers: bar+60*23 RP (+10, +5)
->better bench than last time really made these easier

DB Rows: 90*18 (same, +3) SS
->didn't write down what I did last time, should have gone up here this week. Next time 100's.

Notes: Weight was 187.5. I've been stuck in the 187-188 range for a while now. Diet was f'ed up again today. Another late night at work. Gone 8, 8, 5:30 (then class till 10), 8 so far this week. Tomorrow I have a makeup class at 8. Been a rough week. So tired. I was shocked I had so much energy during this weekend.

Travis Bell
01-29-2009, 10:59 PM
Keep your chin up CP

I feel you on the being tired stuff

Coke
01-30-2009, 06:10 AM
Good stuff there dude, just went right through that effort like nothing.

cphafner
02-03-2009, 09:49 PM
Travis and Coke: Thanks guys. Need to figure out how to deal with my stress levels. Might be time for a talk with my managers. They need to get me some help!

DC Upper A:
Flat DB: 110*17 RP (same, +5 reps)
->got a spot on 2nd and 3rd sets to help on the first rep. Didn't count them. Made a big difference.

HS Shoulder Press: 2pps+5*17 RP (+10lb, +2 reps)

Smith Close Grip: 230*12 (+5lb, -2 reps)
->pounding headache started after first set

Pulldowns: 200*16 RP (+10lb, -1 rep)
->this was a bit heavy. Bit of english, but very controlled neg.

Deads: 355*6 (+20, -1 rep)
->damn these felt heavy. I was totally gassed. Head was killing me. Still is...
M08OYr-rFa0

Notes: Shouldn't have weighed in tonight. Did nothing but drink and barely ate this weekend. Partied my ass off. Stress was very very high today. Working is beating the **** out of me. Tomorrow is going to be rough again.

We hosted our annual superbowl party. Went really well. People were kept saying how much bigger I looked. One girl even commented I was going to bust out of my shirt and squeezed my arm. Guess I look a bit bigger.

Coke
02-04-2009, 05:52 AM
A lot of that stress comes from being so dynamic, that's actually a good thing imo...hope all goes well.

You should be well pleased with being able to gradually add muscle while not gaining bodyweight speedily.

cphafner
02-05-2009, 09:08 PM
Coke: Thanks man. Just getting beat down a bit.

DC Lower A:

Cybex Preacher: 115*16 (+5lb, same reps)

Pinwheels: 55*8 (+5lbs, -2 reps)
->too heavy

Standing Calf: 245*12 (+15lb, same reps)

Lying Leg Curls: 140*13 (-10lb, same reps)
->form was loose last time, so lowered it a bit. Still real tough. Went a bit slower and more controlled on negative. Better set despite the lower weight.

Hoist Leg Press: 5pps+35*12 (+20lb, same reps), 4pps+35*20 (+20lb, +2 reps)
->both tough sets. Sucking wind.

Diet:

Cals: 4,030
fat: 85g
carbs: 489g
Pro: 325g

Notes: Weight is still down at 187. Work has been crazy this week. I am gonig snowboarding with my manager this weekend. We are going to have to talk about it. I'm burning out fast. Diet the past few days has been almost all liquid. I guess it doesn't matter as long as I get the cals in. Dinner tonight was chips, queso, and chicken. What a mess.

cphafner
02-08-2009, 06:29 PM
DC Upper B:
HS Iso Bench: 2pps+25*14 RP (+10lb, -2 rep)

Smith Mil Press: 200*13 RP (+5lb, -1 rep)

Dips: +102.5*15 RP (+2.5lb, -1rep)

V Grip Pulldown: 190*17 RP (+10lb, +2 rep)
Only brough one strap today...so grip was a bit of an issue

HS Iso Row: 4pps+15*10 SS (+10lb, same reps)
->cleaner reps than last time.

Diet:
3,687 cal
72g fat
482g carbs
274g pro

Notes: Weight was 188. Fatigued very fast on all these sets. I got more or the same amount of reps on the first set of every exercise than last week, but got real tired real easy. Went snowboarding for the day yesterday. It was a nice break to get away from the stress of last week. Diet suffered a but because of it. I'm sure it played into the quick fatigue today.

I just added my diet info for today. It is actually a bit lighter than it really was. Probably another 150-200 calories that I didn't add to dailyplate. Still too low. No wonder I can't crack 190.

DGabe24
02-09-2009, 02:46 PM
Keep hittin it hard Cp!!! Seems like you're doing DC pretty true to how it was meant to be, I'm impressed.

Keep getting those cals in man, let's make 2009 as big of a year for you in the gym as it is in the office room!

WillKuenzel
02-12-2009, 01:17 PM
I just had a buddy go from 185 to 201 in about 3 months. How'd he do it? Lots and lots of double bacon cheeseburgers. He's cleaning up his diet now but he ate so much crap that it was actually funny. You need to get on the eating wagon, man!

JustinF
02-12-2009, 01:42 PM
They ranged from 29 to 35. I was amazed how fat and out of shape they had gotten. Some of these guys were elite (all-state) athletes in high school,one a D1 athelete, and one nearly an olympic skiier. They were all amazed with the shape I was in. I was appalled by how they looked. Things like that stoke my fire.

haha! That's me!!

Good luck with the new goals!

cphafner
02-12-2009, 08:34 PM
Gabe: Thanks man.

Will: I ate Wendy's today. Blasted my cal goals. Happy.

Justin: Ha. But your a monster!

DC Lower B:
DB Curls: 55*9, 50*7
->55's were too heavy.

Cable Wrist Curls: 70*12

Seated Calf: 70*11

SLDL: 205*17

Cybex Squat Press: 5pps+25*12, 4pps+25*20

DC Upper C:
Incline Smith Bench: 230*13 RP (+5lb, same reps)

Cybex Shoulder: 120*15 (+5lb, -2 reps)

Smith Reverse Grip Bench: 205*16 (+5lb, -3 reps)

Pullovers: +70*18 (+10, -5lb)

DB Rows: 105*17/18 (+15, same reps)
->left/right hands. This was the only thing that felt strong today.

Diet
Cals: 5,030
Fat: 132g
Carbs: 533g
Pro: 422g

Notes: Weight was 188. There was a girl in the gym on Tuesday (lower body workout) doing deep squats. Killer legs. She was in there again tonight doing pullups! I went and talked to her. She is a national level figure competitor. She won a few shows around here. She is prepping for nationals again. Her back is better than most guys. Her shoulders are ridiculous too. She plans on going to this location more often. It'll be good to bounce diet ideas off her.

galileo
02-12-2009, 08:49 PM
This is my 30 year too. You held up better than me - maybe it's because I already have my MBA. I'd stop now before it's too late...

DGabe24
02-12-2009, 09:51 PM
Keep that protein up man! You know how Dante feels about it...protein first every meal, then your carbs/fats. I think if you can keep it around 400-450 you'll be putting on the size you want for sure...just gotta stay consistent with it.

Sounds like that girl should be you're lifting partner! :D

cphafner
02-13-2009, 11:00 PM
Gal: Trying my best!

Gabe: Thats a ****load of protein. I'm happy to be near 2x's bw.

Diet:

115g fat
carbs 571g
pro 375g

Notes: Weight was 188. Did some core work, foam, rolling and stretching today. Just 30 mins or so in the gym.

cphafner
02-15-2009, 09:44 AM
DC Lower C:
DB Incline Curls: 45*16/15 (+5;b, -3 reps)
->got one less on the right hand

Hammer: 50*10 (same, same)
->same as last time, but these were much cleaner reps. Last time was more cheating.

Leg Press Calf: 2pps+10*12 (+20, same reps)
->pretty f'ing brutual, but made it thru to the 11th and 12th more easily than previously. Normally after the 6 or 7th I am crying.

Seated Ham Curls: 150*23 (+10, same reps)

V Squats: 5pps*8, 4pps*18 (+40lb, same reps) (+40lb, same reps)

Diet:

4,280 cals
127g fat
446g carbs
343g pro

Notes: Weight was 188. This was yesterday. End of this round. I was thinking of stopping and going on a cruise, but feel pretty good, so one more round. I have a feeling I will have a tough time making progress on a few exercises this time around, but we'll see. The V squats worry me. That is a lot of weight on my back. I might be better off going lighter on free weight squats. Something to think about for the next blast.

If Will reads this...I've had McD's, Wendy's twice, and Qdoba in the past 4 days. Going to a bar for a burger today. Happy!

joey54
02-15-2009, 11:02 AM
CP, I think your protein intake right now looks fine. Good job on this blast. On the V-Squats, just up the reps. If you notice, I did this for this time around. It makes it brutal. For your curls, don't alternate. Do them at the same time. Takes less time for one, and you don't have to worry about getting 1 rep more on one arm. Keep up the good work.

DGabe24
02-15-2009, 04:02 PM
Lookin good man, keep hittin it hard and make sure not to put off your cruise for too long...it's a trap that all too many people fall into.

WillKuenzel
02-16-2009, 06:38 AM
Bar burgers are great! There's this little place right next to the gym that does double bacon and chili cheeseburgers. You can't beat that for some extra calories. If you do McD's make sure it's the double quarter pounder. The Big Mac is a waste. Half the protein and only two-third the calories.

cphafner
02-16-2009, 09:13 AM
Joey: Thanks man. I'll work those tips in.

Will: I actually went with steak and eggs at the bar. I normally do the quarter pounder. Guess I can go up to the double. When I go to wendy's it's 2 double stacks and a baked tater.

Gabe: This will be the last round. It will have only been an 8 week blast.

Diet:

Cals: 3,965
Fat: 121g
Carbs: 393g
Pro: 324g

Notes: This was yesterday's diet. Need to keep tracking it. Fell a bit short. This doesn't include 2 beers. They are calories right? If you count those I hit 4200.

cphafner
02-16-2009, 09:16 PM
Diet: Just a few cals short. Little light on protein

Cals: 4,130
Fat: 111g
Carbs: 454g
Protein: 311g

cphafner
02-17-2009, 09:55 PM
Upper A:
DB Bench: 110*15 RP (same, -2)
->only got 2 sets because had no spotter and couldn't start 3rd set. These will probably be dropped next blast, or will have to go much higher reps/lower weight.

HS Shoulder Press: 2pps+10*17 RP (+10 lb, same)

Smith Close Grip: 235*12 RP (+5lb, same)
->I got stuck under the bar! Damn tri's gave out. I crawled out. Hope noone witnessed...

Pulldowns: 210*16 RP (+10, same)

Deads: 365*7 SS (+10, +1 rep)
->felt heavy, but kept grinding them out.

Notes: Weight was 189.25. Finally creeping up. Was exhausted this workout.

Coke
02-18-2009, 06:36 AM
Session is ace Conor, good job.

cphafner
02-21-2009, 12:52 PM
Coke: Thanks man. As always I appreciate the support!

DC Lower A:
Cybex Preacher: 120*15 RP (+5lb, -1 rep)

Pins: 55*9 (same, +1 rep)
->these felt really heavy. Were not the cleanest. Next blast I'd probably be better served going lighter and keeping it tighter on the form.

Standing Calf: 255*12 (+10, same)
->I kind of lost count. May have been 11 reps. The set took 4 mins, which is what a normal set takes.

Lying Leg Curls: 140*15 RP (same, +2 rep)
->these are gone next blast. Bug my back too much. My chiro warned me about these.

Cybex Squat Press: 5pps+35ps*10, 4pps+35*18 (both +20lb, -2 rep)

Notes: Weight was 188. Friday was an insanely stressful day. Ended a hugely stressful week. Work is burning me out. It's no suprise to me that I am not regrowing and recovering with less than 6 hours of sleep a day and stress all day long.

cphafner
02-23-2009, 08:51 PM
DC Upper B:
HS Iso Bench: 2pps+30ps*13 RP (+10lb, -1 rep)

Smith Mili Press: 1pps+35ps*15 RP (5lb, +2 reps)
->bit surprised here.

Dips: +105*15 (+2.5lb, same reps)

Close Grip Pulldowns: +200*15 RP (+10, ?)

Iso Rows: 4pps+25ps*8 SS (+10, ?)

Notes: Weight was 188...bad eating this wekeend. Went boozing hard on Saturday. Spent most of Sunday hungover and barely ate. Not good. Another stressful day at work. Diet was a bit screwed again today.

DGabe24
02-23-2009, 09:15 PM
Notes: Weight was 188...bad eating this wekeend. Went boozing hard on Saturday. Spent most of Sunday hungover and barely ate. Not good. Another stressful day at work. Diet was a bit screwed again today.

Got get back on the horse man! Make up for it with the rest of the week with some serious amounts of protein!

cphafner
02-28-2009, 05:20 PM
Gabe: Doing my best man.

DC Upper C:
Incline Smith: 235*11 RP (+5, -2 reps)
->these bastards felt heavy

Cybex Shoulder: 125*17 RP (+5, +2 reps)

Smith Reverse: 210*18 RP (+5lb, +2 reps)

Pullover: +75+23 RP (+5, +5 reps)

DB Rows: 110*15 SS (+5, -2 reps)
->these tire me out

Notes: Weight was, you guessed it 188. Actually ate well all week. I'll see where I am on the scale next week. One more workout this weekend and then I cruise.

Good news of the week was the cute blonde from downstairs agreed to go out with me. No exact plans set, but hopefully this Tuesday. Need weekend is St. Pats day around here. Her and her roomies are having a party. I'll see her than too.

Photo from the end of this blast. I have way too much lower ab fat. I just went and bought new pants for work so I can breath again. 34's...

Travis Bell
02-28-2009, 07:57 PM
Arms are getting freakin big man

Coke
02-28-2009, 08:16 PM
Excellent, just a few pounds gained shows up very well on you.

cphafner
03-01-2009, 08:38 PM
Travis: Thanks man. They are still small. I took some measurements today out of curiosity. Arms were 16.75, chest 43, shoulders 51, legs 25, calves 16. Need some more everwhere.

Coke: Thanks dude. Now I just need about 10 more.

DC Lower C:
DB Curls: 55*7/3/2 12 RP

Wrist Curl: 70*14 (same, +2)

Seated Calf: 75*12
->tough, tough

SLDL: 225*10, 245*10 (+40, -7 reps)
->225 was too light. Waited about 5 mins and did a 2nd set.

Hoist Leg Press: 6pps*10, 5pps*15 (both +20lb, -2/-5)
->these felt heavy, but good

Notes: Weight was 187. Pretty good workout. Was really dizzy and tired for most of it. This is the end of my blast. Time for a much needed cruise. I am going to eat clean for the cruise at about 4000 cals.

The part that has improved the most on me is my calves. They are up probably a half inch

Coke
03-02-2009, 05:50 AM
Good stuff there man, always finding a way to step up a notch.

joey54
03-02-2009, 06:20 PM
Fantastic progress. There is an alternative for the stiff legs I just learned about. Check out Shelby Starnes' videos.

cphafner
03-03-2009, 10:27 PM
Coke: Thanks bro.

Joey: The romanian deads? That is how I do my SLDL's. I call them SLDL's, but my butt is moving backwards like that.

Notes: Did a cruise workout today. Some decline (225*10), shoulder press, rack press, pullups, and pendalay rows. Decent session. Pullups bugged the hell out of my biceps/elbows. Gotta stop doing those. Just finished a take home midterm. Time for bed. Weight was 188.25. I finally cracked 188 again. Even if it .25, I'll take it. Better than going down.

joey54
03-04-2009, 06:15 PM
Yeah CP. Did you see the one where he keeps adding 10 lbs per side doing sets of 6 until he can't get 6 anymore?

cphafner
03-04-2009, 09:08 PM
Joey: That was crazy! I'm still only doing 1 set. I will probably up to a heavy set and high rep set next blast.

Notes: ****ty day at work. Did pretty well on my stats midterm, so that was a positive. Here are a couple pics. The scale hasn't moved much recently, but I feel like I've gotten a bit thicker even if the scale doesn't show it and the fact that I no longer have abs. For full disclosure I even included the chicken legs.

Coke
03-05-2009, 06:12 AM
Those shots are very nice dude.

Sidior
03-05-2009, 03:07 PM
Looking good man, you are really growing. You look much thicker already.

cphafner
03-07-2009, 07:45 AM
Coke and Sid: Thanks guys. Another 8-10 blast coming up should bring me to new heights!

Notes: Did a lower body cruise yesterday. Experimented with a few new exercises. Did some light squats. Felt good. I plan on doing deads during this next blast, then this summer I will drop the deads and start squatting. Here is a vid. The shoes are not good, but forgot socks. I felt like I was going lower, but I guess good enough for a gym lift. The guy that walks by in blue has the worst BO. I stopped doing squats just because he was too close to me and he has at least a 10 foot ring of BO at all times.

JIkKeBeCOak

cphafner
03-13-2009, 08:01 PM
I started a new blast, but my internet is messed up. Maybe I'll post workouts tomorrow.

cphafner
03-15-2009, 04:21 PM
DC Upper A:
DB Bench: 100*20 RP

Dips: +90*17 RP

HS Shoulder: 1pps+35*25 RP

Pulldown: 190*19 RP

Deads: 325*10, 225*12

DC Lower A:

Cybex Preacher: 110*18 RP

Pins: 45*10

Standing Calf: 240*12 SS

Pull Thrus: 90*21 RP

Squat Press: 5pps*15, 4pps*20

DC Upper B:
Cybex Bench: 2pps+10*21 RP

Smith Mils: 185*14 RP

Smith Close Grip: 205*17 RP

Pullups: bw*25 RP

Iso Rows: 4pps*10 SS

QC926UrWZes

83BTEpwrtVg

Coke
03-16-2009, 05:29 AM
You don't slack for nothin, lol...glad to see the update(s).

joey54
03-16-2009, 06:51 PM
CP, great work as always. Way to smash those deads. 405 in no time.

cphafner
03-17-2009, 07:17 PM
Coke: Thanks bro

Joey: I hope so!

DC Lower B:
Spider Curls: 35*21 RP

Hammer: 40*12

Leg Press Calf: 2pps*12

Leg Curls: 120*19 RP

Squats: 225*12, 185*20
->Love it! Squats! Hurt like hell. Can barely walk today.

Notes: Damn weight was 187. Gotta get a few hundred more cals in. Felt so good to do squats. That was my first balls to the walls squat session in probably a year. I was working in with and older and very tall guy. He was probably in his late 40's and about 6' 6". He was doing the same weight as me and went down a good deal despite his height. He was shocked by my 20 rep set. Asked if I competed. I said I did a show. He meant a power lifting comp.

Went to go buy a suit today for my dad's wedding that is this weekend. I bought the pants to it last week and decided to buy the matching jacket. I am normally a 42. I tried to pull it on and could barely sit it over my arms. The sales woman said it was because of my muscles. I tried the 44 and it felt great in shoulders and chest but looked like a blouse. Guess that is a good problem.

joey54
03-17-2009, 08:55 PM
Damn right. Getting fitted for any formal wear sucks. Tux for a wedding last year was terrible. It is a good problem to have though.

cphafner
03-19-2009, 10:26 AM
Joey: Yes it is, but I'm still small. I can't imagine at your size!

DC Upper C:
Incline Smith: 205*16 RP

Cybex Shoulder: 115*20 RP

Reverse Bench: 195*20 RP

Pullovers: +70*24 RP

DB Rows: 110*12

Notes: F'ing scale was down a lb. I know the answer is eat more. Gotta get on it. I was exhausted during this workout. I was sucking wind big time when it was over. My legs are so sore from squatting on monday. I rolled them out a bit after this workout. When I got home the evelators where shut off due to a fire alarm, so I had to walk up 10 flights. THat was brutal.

joey54
03-19-2009, 04:55 PM
That is a cruel joke having to walk that many stairs after a session. Skip the next cardio session for that one.

Sidior
03-19-2009, 05:51 PM
Awesome squatting man! Does your back feel fine after them?

Eat more junk if you need to, keep that weight gain coming.

cphafner
03-20-2009, 12:30 PM
Joey: Just down right mean! I was hurting.

Sid: Yeah, holding up well. Plan on following a similar plan that I did with deads. Add about 10lbs a week. It'll take a few months, but I'll get them back up.

DC Lower C:
DB Curl: 45*17 RP
->I'm surprised how big my triceps look here. Not bad for little direct arm work. Keep doing those 20 rep tricep and bicep blasts newbs!

wkcxh9ZEtRU

Cable Wrist Curls: 70*14

Seated Calf Raise: 65*11
->just not feeling it today

SLDL: 185*12, 235*10

KVgbquaFarI

Leg Press: 4pps*10, 3pps*15
->sucking wind today. Weak. Had to wait for about 20 minutes for some joker to do 7 sets of knee tweakers with way too much weight. When he finished he deracked to 3pps. I would have normally helped, but he made me wait too long. I asked him to strip 2 more off each side. I did help this time. He wasn't too please. F him. He then did calf raises with 1 inch of motion and I'm not even joking on that range.

w0PGsJPdfyM

Notes: Weight was 190.4 Hell yeah mother****er. Finally got the scale moving again. Heading home this afternoon for my dads wedding. Hopefully I can get the cals in during the busy weekend.

Had a great day at work on Wednesday. One of the portfolio managers asked me to start helping her do company research on Canadian companies for potential names to purchase in our portfolio. This was one of the things I mentioned in my first post of the journal. This is taking my career to the next step. Huge opportunity if I can impress her and the other pms on the portfolio. Time to make my name known at my firm. I have bitched about my longer hours recently, but it paid off. This will bring me more hours, but so be it.

joey54
03-20-2009, 04:06 PM
Good videos, that last one cracked me up.

Coke
03-22-2009, 08:45 AM
Nice vids, definitely looking more huge and muscular these days...also, like how your career is developing.

RuLess
03-25-2009, 08:55 PM
cp, looks like your progress is coming along rather well. are you taking the part time mba? i know it must be crazy managing your time with all of that, including the gym and having a social life..

RBB
03-26-2009, 08:05 AM
nice vids, cp. lol, i like that last one. you're looking good man, and good job getting that weight up there. i see you're doing well at work too. keep it up, bro.

Unholy
03-26-2009, 08:41 AM
*BIG MOTHA****IN WAVE*

Glad to see your going at it hard, I just spent a half hour catching up on this journal. So you are doing DC training?? Looking nice and thick in the last set of pics. Soon enough you will be heavier than me. HeAt.

cphafner
03-26-2009, 07:58 PM
Joey: Thanks man. That guy irked me. I'm pretty patient, but he pushed my buttons!

Coke: Thanks for the continued support!

Ru: Where you been man? Don't think you've been posting much. Going part time. Two classes. One week a night.

RBB: Thanks dude. Happy on both fronts. My industry (and even my firm) are getting slaughtered, but I'm prospering thru my hard work. Feels good.

Holy: Good to have you back. Now behave! :angel: Been doing dc for a little while now. I enjoy it. Nice and simple and balls to the walls.

DC Upper A:
DB Bench: 105*14, 100*8 -> 22 RP
->I was just struggling today. I think I will stick with the 100's going foward and try to get higher rep range 20-30

HS Shoulder: 2pps+10ps*18 RP (same, +1)

Close Grip smith: 235*14 RP (same, +1)
->and didn't get pinned under the bar this time!

Pulldowns: 210*17 RP (same, +1)
->not clean. Felt heavy.

Deads: 365*7, 295*8

Notes: Made small progress. The weights are compared to the last upper body blast.

DC Lower A:
Cybex Curls: 120*15 RP (same, same)

Pins: 50*10 SS (-5, +1)

Calf Raise: 255*12 SS (same, same)

Leg Curls: 140*15 RP (same, same)

Leg Press: 6pps*11 (+20, +1), 5pps*20 (+20, same)

Notes: Weight was 191.2 That is a new high. The () was the last workout of last blast. I pretty much did the same weights and reps. I'll push it up from here from here and hope for gains on this blast.

Ate over 5000 cals today. I was starving so had an early lunch(Wendy's). Then by 3 I was starving again, so went out and got a turkey club.

The national figure girl was in there today with some monster dude.

I've been real tired this week. Only averaging about 6-6.5 hours of sleep a night. Need to catch up this weekend. Really felt fatigued in the gym both of these workouts.

RuLess
03-26-2009, 08:31 PM
man 191, stop growing man LOL, yeah bro ive been trying to get back into lifting, life ya know get ya, and **** being 21 really. . been in the gym but school and work is just so crazy and girls. well you know how that goes also.. ya gotta start getting more sleep atleast 7 a night, everything else is looking good.. are u gonna cut up this summer or where you taking this bulk to?

joey54
03-26-2009, 08:35 PM
Still giving it your all and it is paying off. Keep up the good work.

cphafner
03-28-2009, 05:29 PM
RuLess: Sounds good bro. Keep at it! No set plans right now. 7 weeks left on this blast. Going to keep piling down the food and see where I stand. I'll then probably go a mini cut for the summer to get a bit leaner and then probably do another bulk.

Joey: Just following your lead big man!

DC Upper B:
HS Chest Press: 2pps+30ps * 15 RP (same, +2)

Smith Mili Press: 205*17 RP (same, +2)

Dips: +105*17 RP (same, ?)

Close Pulldowns: 200*16 RP (same, +1)
->this weight is not clean. I'm thinking about going down. I cheat slightly on the way down and control on the way up.

HS Iso Rows: 4+25*10 (same, +2)
->same comment as above.

Notes: Weight was 190. Glad I'm staying above 190 finally. Slept well last night. Got about 10 hours lol. No wonder I was feeling good in the gym today. These were the same weights as final round from last blast, but did better on all sets. Felt good.

joey54
03-28-2009, 06:40 PM
Nice work. the fun starts next time with this workout.

RuLess
03-29-2009, 07:53 AM
hey cp do u have a list of exercises i can use for back thickness, i cant seem to get mine right

cphafner
03-29-2009, 08:15 AM
I'm currently using deads, hammer iso rows, and DB rows. Any kind of heavy row will be fine. Rack Pulls are also good. Are you doing DC training?

http://www.intensemuscle.com/19724-updated-dc-training-newbies-read-first-then-ask-questions-later.html

cphafner
03-29-2009, 08:17 AM
Nice work. the fun starts next time with this workout.

Yes it does! Time to make some gains in the log.

RuLess
03-29-2009, 09:35 AM
yeah actually i just started as of today, back in my old journals when i was trying to bulk to 195 i used dc training, i was 16 and 17 then, and less serious and strict with form, diet, and logging weights. decided to give it another go around looks to be working good for u

cphafner
03-29-2009, 10:15 AM
yeah actually i just started as of today, back in my old journals when i was trying to bulk to 195 i used dc training, i was 16 and 17 then, and less serious and strict with form, diet, and logging weights. decided to give it another go around looks to be working good for u

Yeah I'm a fan. Check out Joeys log too. I think Bill might also be toying with DC.

Unholy
03-29-2009, 11:01 AM
Ha Con, you would be proud of me, I did DC stretches after every set during my leg workout today, w000hh00000 grow grow grow legs!

cphafner
03-30-2009, 08:40 PM
Holy: Well done man!

DC Upper B #2:
Spider Curls: 40*15
->really don't like these. Being dropped mid blast. Bug my biceps. Bug my wrists. I'm going to switch to some kind of cable curl.

Hammer Curls: 50*10 SS

Seated Calf: 70*11.5 SS
->calling it 11.5 because I couldn't hold the stretch on the last rep. Only got about 5 seconds or so.

Pullthrus: 100*18

Squats: 235*12, 195*20
->pretty nasty. I have more strength in me, but not the kind of cardio you need for a high rep set like this. Legs were jello, but not as bad as last week.

Notes: Weight was 190. Haven't tracked my diet. Probably around 4000cals. A bit light today.

Shared the squat rack with the national level figure girl. She worked up to 105. Not bad for a girl. She is working with PJ Braun who is a massive super heavy weight national guy. She is doing junior nats, north americans, and nationals. That is a full summer of comps! We talked diets a bit. Cool to have someone knowledgable in the gym to chat with. Still haven't told her I have competed. I figure she would laugh at the notion of my skinny ass on stage. Cool girl.

Coke
03-31-2009, 06:15 AM
The high rep squats are looking super.

RuLess
04-02-2009, 09:17 PM
Quick question c, are you doing the carb cut off and the cardio every morning along with the workouts also?

jAy_Dub
04-03-2009, 09:14 AM
Glad to see the weight staying consistently over 190 man. And sharing the squat rack with a figure competitor? Very nice.

I tried out those spider curls a few weeks back and didnt like them either. Nothing about them felt right to me.

cphafner
04-05-2009, 05:44 PM
Cocoa: Thanks bro.

Ru: Nope. Fat gain isn't much of an issue from me. I just strive to hit my calorie target (~4500 cals a day). I do drink a lot of green tea.

Jay: They bugged my elbow and wrist. I'll be doing something else next time. Mabye drag curls.

DC Upper C:
Smith Incline: 235*11 RP (same, same)
->these are tough.

Cybex Shoulder: 125*18 RP (same, +1)

Reverse Smith Bench: 210*18 RP (same, +1)
->Weight can be bumped here.

DB Rows: 110*12 SS
->up to 115 next time. Went out of order...

DB Pullovers: 75*21 RP
->switched from ez curl to DB. Just much easier to manage. A little lighter than what I did on the bar, but felt better.

DC Lower C:
DB Curls: 50*16 (-5lb, +4)
->dropped the weight a bit from the end of the last cruise. Felt like they were too heavy and cheated a bit. I will probably stay here for the next workout and then look to bump.

Cable Wrist Curls: 80*6->70*5
->different station than I normally use. The 80 here was much heavier than at the other gym.

Leg Press Calf: 2pps+20ps*12 SS
->ouch brutal. Just about the perfect weight. Going to bump 5lb per side next time. Reps might start dropping a bit. On IM they say 9-12 is a good range here.

SLDL: 245*12, 275*6 SS (same, +2) (+30, -4)
->jumped up for a 2nd set because the first one was too light.

Leg Press: 4pps+25ps*10, 3pps+25*20 (both were +50lbs)
->literally started seeing spots after the 15th rep of the 2nd set. Closed my eyes for the last part of the set so I wouldn't see them! Can still go heavier here.

Notes: Weight was around 189. Ran into my old workout partner Ben on Friday. Still big and strong as an ox. Went out boozing last night for the first time in weeks. It was actually a great stress reliever. I had a brutal week at work. I had to put in a few hours on some reports this weekend to make up for not having enough time last week.

I went to a punk concert tonight for the first time in 11 years (The Queers). I used to be into punk bands (Rancid, Pennywise, NOFC) in junior high school/high school. The last show I went to I was probably 140 lbs. Today I was about 190. It was a totally different experience. Then people were worried about me going anywhere near the pit. Tonight I felt like I had no issues being near the pit. Most of those guys were little punks. Very tame in terms of the crowd. I was right at the front of the stage. The pit was relatively small. Maybe 30 people or so. I was basically the edge of the pit. People were boucing off me. A couple times I sent guys flying with a shove. Fun time. Got really drunk.

joey54
04-05-2009, 06:22 PM
No quad exercise for this last session CP?

cphafner
04-05-2009, 06:28 PM
No quad exercise for this last session CP?

Doh. Forgot to list the leg press. Going to do some editing! I was seeing spots during them. Maybe my brain wanted to forget them!

joey54
04-05-2009, 07:02 PM
Doh. Forgot to list the leg press. Going to do some editing! I was seeing spots during them. Maybe my brain wanted to forget them!

Nice!

DGabe24
04-05-2009, 08:15 PM
Awesome edit!! I'm likin the intensity man, seeing spots and you still want to go heavier!

cphafner
04-06-2009, 08:36 PM
Joey and Gabe: Thanks fellas.

DC Lower A:
DB Bench Press: 100*22 RP
->went back down to up the reps. 14 of these were the first set...then died out.

HS Shoulder Press: 2pps+15ps*13 RP (+10, -5 rep)
->I think this machine has less leverage than my usual machine. Felt really really heavy.

Close Grip Smith: 245*13 RP (+10lb, -1)
->meant to jump up to 240, but my math failed me! Still felt strong here today.

Deads: 385*3
->big big mistake. More details below. Went out of order because gym was packed. Both pulldowns taken. Both racks open. Wanted to grab one before they filled up.

Pulldowns: 210*4
-> called it quits. Mentally and physically broken by this point.

Diet:
Cals 4,442
Fat: 117g
Carbs: 469g
Protein: 377g

Notes: Weight was 190. So I was dumb to work out today. I don't know why I set it up that I did SLDLs and deads in back to back workouts. My hams were still tight. I fought out a couple reps, but thought I was going to pop a hammy. Also had visions of tearing my back again. Called it quits. I wasn't supposed to workout today. I was supposed to go food shopping today and workout tomorrow. My roommate had to back out on shopping and wants to go tomorrow instead. I decided to workout. I should have listened to my body and skip today. I came home and rolled and stretched my hams. Going to do another round before bed.

So something I have been doing is leaving a shaker next to my bed. I'm not setting an alarm, but if I wake up to use the bathroom (which happens about every night) I chug a quick shake. Easy way to get an extra few hundred calories in and hopefully break this plateau.

Bruteman
04-06-2009, 09:00 PM
The "shake at night" trick is a great way to add some pounds. I've recomended that to quite a few kids and they all thanked me for it later on.

At the gym the other day a guy came in and I instantly thought of you. Well, you 30lbs ago. He wasn't your twin or anything, but definitely put me in mind of you.

cphafner
04-06-2009, 09:03 PM
The "shake at night" trick is a great way to add some pounds. I've recomended that to quite a few kids and they all thanked me for it later on.

At the gym the other day a guy came in and I instantly thought of you. Well, you 30lbs ago. He wasn't your twin or anything, but definitely put me in mind of you.

Skinny little weakling? :strong:

I'm hoping the shake will help get me over the hump.

DGabe24
04-06-2009, 09:21 PM
Where are you at in Jersey again?? We should get a lift in together sometime man.

(i know i've asked you like 5 times haha sry)

Bruteman
04-07-2009, 11:15 AM
haha, I recall you being thin, but never really weak. You've always been able to move some good weight. I think your appearance may have made you overlook your strengths.

joey54
04-07-2009, 06:58 PM
Lesson learned CP. Might want to put those dead variations even further apart.

cphafner
04-07-2009, 07:25 PM
Gabe: Hoboken. Let me know if you are ever up this way. I have no wheels!

Brute: I'm in the middle of the road. I'm pretty happy.

Joey: When I created my split I was thinking oh they are on the opposite end, duh eventually the two ends meet. I'll be sliding SLDLs into the middle.

DGabe24
04-07-2009, 08:12 PM
Gabe: Hoboken. Let me know if you are ever up this way. I have no wheels!

I'm in Passaic county, so Hoboken is right up rt 3 for me...not a bad ride at all man.

cphafner
04-10-2009, 10:44 AM
Gabe: Anytime.

DC Lower B:
EZ Bar Drag Curl: +70*18 RP
->these are new. a replacement to spider curls.

Hammers: 50*11 SS (same, +1)
->cleaner. Grip was giving.

Standing Calf: 270*12 (+15, same)
->these things are brutal.

Pullthrus: 100*26 (same, +8)
->my back was acting up last time, hence the big jump

Squat Press: 6+10ps*10, 5+10ps*17 (+20, -1), (+20, -3)
->was gettign lightheaded durign the 2nd set.
oevDBs0xq3g

Notes: Weight is still stuck at 190...driving me a bit nutty. I'm still trying to get a shake in during the middle of the night. Still not setting an alarm since my sleep is too important. I woke up the other morning and there was powder all over the carpet. I vaguely remember making a shake and missing the cup with about half the protein. Probably looked like this

uR0r9lx0U7c&feature=related

Off to North Carolina for the wedding. Going to miss a workout. I was thinking about working out tomorrow, but I think I'll go get drunk tonight with college buddies instead.

jAy_Dub
04-10-2009, 12:48 PM
Arms and calves are looking great cp. I do the shake at night thing when I feel like it but half the time when I wake up I end up forgetting to even drink it. I like the Step Brothers clip lol.

cphafner
04-12-2009, 08:31 AM
Jay: Thanks bud. Need to do something to crack this invisible barrier of 190!

DC Upper B:

HS Bench Press: 2+25ps*17 RP
->decent jump in weight, can still jump higher.

Smith Shoulder Press: 225*12 RP
->these were a bit too heavy. I probably didn't have quite a full range of motion. I only like to go down to about where arms are parallel to the floor. I have a vid of these I might post later.

Reverse Grip Smith Bench: 225*16 RP
->nice and easy. Also have a couple vids here.

Pulldowns Close Grip: 16*15rp
->foreign machine to me, not sure what the weight was. Heavy though.

HS Iso Row: 4pps*15/13 SS

Notes: Down in North Carolina for a wedding. Did this at a local Gold's. I didn't plan on working out, so I didn't have my straps. Went a bit lighter on the ISO rows because of that, but grip wasn't really a limiting factor. I have tweaked the form on how I do my DC chest stretched and feel it much better and I can go much heavier on them now. Before I was putting too much stress on my shoulders and not on my chest.

All of my family was commenting how much bigger I looked mainly in the arms. Guess that's nice, but still have a long way to go. I stepped on the scale at the gym and someone had it set on 188. I started sliding it down to 190...then 191...then 192...when it didn't move I realized it was off balance. Dammit! Haha. Thoought I had finally moved the scale a bit. Ate decent this weekend, but probably closer to 4000 calories on Friday/Saturday. Not sure how much I'll get in today. Brought a bunch of bars and nuts and raisins and stuff for the flight. I land around 3, so I should have time to get in a few meals at home tonight.

Coke
04-16-2009, 06:08 AM
Good deal on getting the session in while down in NC...you're one to stay on the move and have a great time.

cphafner
04-16-2009, 08:44 PM

DC Upper C:
Smith Incline: 245*12 RP (+10, +1)
->felt strong.

Cybex Shoulder Press: 135*16 (+10, -2)
->not strong here.

Smith Close Grip: 245*11 RP (+10, -3)
->felt real heavy. These were supposed to be done last workout, somehow got out of order...

DB Pullover: 80*21 RP (+5, same)

DB Row: 115*15 (+5, +3)

Diet:
4,494 cals
128g fat
440g carbs
385g pro

Notes: Down 3lbs today. I'm really starting to lose it. I upped the calories today. Nothing drastic, but added another tablespoon of evoo. I'm also still doing the mid sleep shake a few nights a week (nights when I wake up naturally). Still not enough. I'll hope tonight was just water weight. If I don't see 192 soon I am going to get arrested for slamming the gyms scale thru the wall.

Cute girl from the office was at the gym tonight. She said my arms looked larger. Asked if I was doing more for them, said nope just one exercise for bi's and tri's. She said she remembered I barely work them.

joey54
04-17-2009, 04:44 AM

DC Upper C:
Smith Incline: 245*12 RP (+10, +1)
->felt strong.

Cybex Shoulder Press: 135*16 (+10, -2)
->not strong here.

Smith Close Grip: 245*11 RP (+10, -3)
->felt real heavy. These were supposed to be done last workout, somehow got out of order...

DB Pullover: 80*21 RP (+5, same)

DB Row: 115*15 (+5, +3)

Diet:
4,494 cals
128g fat
440g carbs
385g pro

Notes: Down 3lbs today. I'm really starting to lose it. I upped the calories today. Nothing drastic, but added another tablespoon of evoo. I'm also still doing the mid sleep shake a few nights a week (nights when I wake up naturally). Still not enough. I'll hope tonight was just water weight. If I don't see 192 soon I am going to get arrested for slamming the gyms scale thru the wall.

Cute girl from the office was at the gym tonight. She said my arms looked larger. Asked if I was doing more for them, said nope just one exercise for bi's and tri's. She said she remembered I barely work them.

Haha. Barely certainly is a relative term. Nice job on the smith incline.

Sidior
04-17-2009, 01:26 PM
Down 3lbs and still getting compliments about getting bigger? You are doing something right man!

cphafner
04-18-2009, 02:02 PM
JOey: yeah relative. Compared to a curl jockey it's nothing!

Sid: Thanks dude. Doing ok I guess

DB Curls: 55*11

Cable Wrist: 70*11

Leg Press Calf: 2+30ps*10

Seated Leg Culr: 160*16
->replacement to lying leg curls

Leg Press: 5pps*11, 4pps*18

Notes: Weight was 193! **** yeah. Finally moving a bit again. As quickly as it came it can leave, but I'll take it for the day.

couple quick pics. Lats are coming along decently.

Coke
04-19-2009, 08:54 AM
Really getting thick now dude.

joey54
04-19-2009, 11:41 AM
Definitely thicker. Keep it up.

cphafner
04-20-2009, 08:48 PM
Notes: So I'm totally lost where to go right now. My back has been in spasms all weekend. I could barely workout today. I did about half my workout and called it quits. I obviuosly pushed too hard this blast. Took the confidence jn my back holding up last time and added in squats and sldl's which was a bad move. I can't possibly push forward on this blast. I won't touch a weight another day this week. I was planning on finishing this blast around 195 and then doing a small cut for the summer. I think the cut might be starting after this week. I am certainly bigger than I was at this point last year, but not where I wanted to be. I am stressed out beyond belief with work and school and can't make a decision today. I'll give it a day or two and decide what to do.

joey54
04-21-2009, 03:38 PM
Sounds like you need a few days for sure. How long are you at blast wise?

cphafner
04-25-2009, 04:03 PM
Joey: This was the start of week 7. It would have been my fourth and final round of the blast.

Upper Cruise:

Decline: 185*3, 225*3, 245*3, 185*15

Lat Raise: 20*8, 25*8, 35*8

Rack Press: 185*3, 225*3, 245*3, 265*1

Rack Chins: bw*8, +25*8, +35*8, +35*8

Elliptical: 15mins

Notes: So I've been MIA while I figure out my next move. My back is bugging me big time. Every day feels like someone smacked my in the lower back with a 2x4. I was laying in bed the other night with the back spasming like crazy. I obviously need to back off a bit. I am going to start carb cycling for the next couple months. My plan is to basically maintain my weight, but clean up the diet and my bf a bit. I'll be following a similar protocol to last summer. I will do carbs on w/o days only pre/postworkout. On non workout weekdays carbs will be minimal. On weekends I will refeed. If the scale drops I'll start add carbs in bit by bit on the weekdays. I'm a bit dissapointed with where I finished this winter. I did put on 5-6lbs, but I'm about 10lbs shy of my goals. If you look at last summer I don't even feel like I've grown http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110683 This week I went through the emotional struggle of thinking I'm too small, thinking I'm too fat, and wishing I didn't care about 1 or 2. I feel better about myself when I'm leaner, so that's what I'm to do.

Unholy
04-25-2009, 05:57 PM
Hey Buddy, it sounds to me like you need to take a step back and re-evaluate your situation. What are your goals, long and short term? To get as big and lean as possible? Maybe do a 4 week cycle in a caloric excess with slightly higher volume, and then every 5th week do a PSMF for 6-7 days. Every time I start to bulk I feel fat, cut I feel tiny. Its all mental. You have definitely made progress. With the years you have under your belt lifting wise, progress just comes slower. Keep training hard!

cphafner
04-27-2009, 08:44 PM
Paul: In the longterm I'd like to be 195 @ 8%. I'm not that far from there, but need 10lbs of muscle.

Notes: So I went and got adjusted at the chiro today. Back feels much better. He said I was a mess and should have come in last week. He is a lifter. He used to workout out with my last w.o partner. I told him I gave squats a go again. He said squats are awesome mass builders, but tough on the body, and especially when you have back issues like me. He doesn't want me to stop lifting. We have had this conversation a number of times. He wants me to lift smart and be healthy. I agree. I started day one of the summer diet today. Trace carbs today. Trace carbs tomorrow as well. As of Saturday I had lost 10lbs in 9 days. Damn fast metabolism and that was w/o any dieting.

joey54
04-27-2009, 08:53 PM
Are you going to ditch squats and full deads for now? I wouldn't blame you if you did and there are still plenty of options available with what we are doing.

cphafner
04-28-2009, 06:28 PM
Are you going to ditch squats and full deads for now? I wouldn't blame you if you did and there are still plenty of options available with what we are doing.

Yes and yes. The squats bug me more than deads. I arch more on squats which seems to toss the back out of whack. I'll be going higher on rep ranges and selecting exercises that are easier on my lower back.

cphafner
04-29-2009, 09:50 PM
Notes: Back is still ****ed. Feels tight as hell. I was planning on down lower body cruise today, but it wasn't for it. I did some biceps then cardio on the elliptical for 30mins. I was surprised my weight was 187 today despite little carbs in the past 2 day. As this was a workout day I had some carbs pre/post workout. Got around 200g of carbs. I wasn't planning on that high. Tomorrow is low carbs again. Friday is moderate carbs (same as today) and then refeed during the weekend. New semester of school started tonight. Business Law prof seems pretty cool.

cphafner
05-03-2009, 03:49 PM
Did a few bicep/foream exercises yesterday. Did 30 mins on the eliptical yesterday/today. very low intensity. I didn't even sweat today. Weekend was a carb refeed day. About 1000g in the past 2 days. Weight was 189 today. Means I didn't really drop any weight this week which is good. Hopefully a couple weeks and I'll see some fat loss, but hope the weight is still around the same as now.

Coke
05-04-2009, 05:20 AM
Good luck at school...too bad the back plight is hanging around.

cphafner
05-04-2009, 09:33 PM
Cocoa: Thanks man. It's frustrating.

DC Upper A:
Decline Bench: 185*36
->I was aiming for 20-30. Didn't know I'd get 20 on the first set...

Lat Raise: 35*20 RP

Close Grip Smith: 185*26 RP

Rack Chins: +25*24 RP

Cybex High Rows: 1pps+25ps*13
->I did these not holding the handles, but the frame of the machine. Saw someone do this recently in a video (can't remember who...). With the handles I get no stretch at the end. These let me stretch. Felt pretty good.

Notes: No weigh in. I'll probably weigh in during the weekend refeeds. Maybe once during midweek (probably Wednesdays) just to see my fluctuations. Energy really crashed during close grip. Got a 2nd wind for back. My knees were bugging me today, so skipped cardio. Might go in and do it tomorrow. Can't decide...

I was supposed to meet this girl from work that I go to school with for brunch on Sunday. She wanted to celebrate the end of our first semester with drinks. I thought a one-on-one at a bar could be weird, so suggested mimosas over brunch. Literally 5 mins before I was going to walk out the door she cancelled. She said she was sick as heck all weekend and hadn't even left the apartment. Asked for a rain check. We have a class again together again this semester. I was bummed, but understand if she was sick. I'll give her one more chance.

joey54
05-05-2009, 03:47 PM
How did the rack chins feel this time around?

YoBrickWall
05-05-2009, 07:20 PM
hi cp, haven't been on in a long time. just checking in to see how you're doing.

ybw

cphafner
05-13-2009, 09:09 PM
DC Lower A:
Cybex Preacher: 110*16 RP
Pins: 50*13 SS
Leg Press Calf: 2pps+25ps*10 SS
Sumo Leg Press: 1pps+25ps*40 RP
Overhead Squats: bar*8, 8
->did these more for core strength than quad

DC Upper B:
BB Bench: 185*23 RP
->pinned under the bar on the last set! Need to learn when to stop w/o a spotter. Luckily not too heavy and rolled it down to my waist and stood up.
HS Shoulder: 1pps+25ps*33 RP
Dips: +50*23 RP
->since I'm going light and higher reps I decided to put these back in the mix
Nautilus Pulldowns: 140*30 RP
->these are new. The figure girl does them and has a better back than me, so figured give em a shot. Hit the back at a different angle. Ok machine.
Strive Machine Row: 150*15 SS

DC Lower B:
DB Curl: 50*14 RP
Cable Wrist Curl: 80*10 SS
->too heavy
Standing Calf: 240*11 SS
->lack of carbs kill me on the calf work. Tire fast
Seated Ham Curl: 125*20 RP
->this machine sucks. Not my usual. Not a lot of ham options at my gym. DOn't want to do them lying. I curl my back too much.
Squat Press: 5pps*15, 4pps*20 SS

DC Upper C:
HS Bench: 2pps*27 RP
Cybex Shoulder: 100*25 RP
Reverse Smith: 185*25 RP
->some guy came over and asked me about these. Gave him an explanation. Right or wrong, he bought it!
Pulldowns: 160*23 RP
Iso Row: 2+25ps*14 SS

Notes: Weight today was 186, but I have been very dehydrated. Been around 187 for the most part, so not down much considering the bulik. I will monitor for the next week and make adjustments.

Been MIA because I moved yesterday. My 3rd roommate moved out. The other guy and I moved accross the hall to a 2br. New place is much smaller (but same rent) but we have a balcony with a view of NYC. Decent enough place. Still pretty damn expensive. As a result of the move I cheated pretty bad yesterday. Supposed to be a low carb day. I wound up having a sub and a burger. I need the cals. I was carrying and moving **** for 11 hours. Figure I burned it right off. I am normally strict and don't cheat. This isn't a usual occurrence. Back on track today.

cphafner
05-13-2009, 09:10 PM
Joey: They were good this time. Think I found the right groove. Didn't bug my bicep at all.

YBW: Good to see you man. Doing ok.

Coke
05-14-2009, 07:05 AM
Great update...wish you the best in your new place and with everything in general bro.

cphafner
05-17-2009, 11:38 AM
DC Lower C:
Drag Curl: 75*21

Hammer: 50*11

Seated Calf Raise: 65*7->65*1->55*1
->started too heavy.

Notes: After that I tried to do some leg extensions but my knee was screaming with pain. I called it quits. Diet is going ok. I had a bbq to go to yesterday. I had a bunch of beers (there is carbs in there yesterday right?). I brough 93% lean so my fat intake would remain low. Woke up this morning and was puking my guts out. Had one meal. About to go eat again.

Starting to lean out a bit. Couple more weeks and I shouls see decent changes.

Sidior
05-17-2009, 11:46 AM
Looking good in the pics CP. What do you think your bf is at right now?

Coke
05-18-2009, 04:56 AM
Coming into your own more and more, props on the added size.

cphafner
05-31-2009, 08:47 AM
Sid: Thanks man. I have no idea, too high!

Coke: Thanks Terry.

DC Upper C:

HS Bench: 2pps+5ps*25(+10lb, -2 reps)

Cybex Shoulders: 105*27 (+5lb, +2 reps)

Reverse Grip: 190*5->155*26
->the normal smith I use was taken. This one has no counter weight, so it was too heavy to get through the whole set.

Pulldowns: 170*22 (+10, -1 rep)

Iso Rows: 2pps+35ps*15 (+20lb, +1 rep)

Notes: Not sure my current weight. I was 184 on Wednesday after a couple days of low carbs. Normally bounce up about 5lbs on the weekend. I've been a bit MIA recently. I'm taking classes two nights a week. Coupled with work that has made me very busy. I've slacked off on posting in here (but not in the gym). If I get some time tonight I'll go back and post in the previous 2 workouts.

I spent Memorial day in Boston at the NCAA Lax Championships. My brother's alma mater was playing. They wound up making the final but losing a heartbreaking game in OT. Everyone there couldn't get over the shape I was in. Some of these kids haven't seen me since I was 13 or 14. My brother is a bigger guy than me, but not in as good of shape. People kept telling him that if he looked like me in college he could have been an all-American. His former teammates are trying to recruit me to play in a summer tournament with them. Another buddy asked if I had interest in playing in a summer league on Long Island. My interest is piqued. I could use some competition in my life. Not sure how my back or knees would handle it. I did a bit of running yesterday. I did a mile after my usual 30mins on the elliptical. Wasn't too bad. I can normally get my cardio back quickly.

Heading into the city shortly to hang out with the girl I've had a couple date with. It's beautiful out in NYC, so I think we are going to grab some food and go hang out in Central Park.

Coke
05-31-2009, 04:59 PM
Central Park is awesome, I used to go there regularly when visiting my folks.

Great to be on the receiving end of compliments, I get quite a few of them myself here and there.

cphafner
06-01-2009, 09:03 PM
Cocoa: The girls at the park were unreal! I'm sure you get your share!

DC Lower A:
Cybex Preacher Curls: 115*18 (same, +2 reps)

Pins: 55lb*10 (same, +3 reps)

Leg Press Calf Raise: 2pps+25ps*8->1pps+25ps*2
-> I said last week I need to drop the weight a bit here...maybe next time.

Sumo Leg Press: 2pps*50
->these felt pretty damn good. Got a burst of energy on the last set.

Overhead Squats: 55*8/8
->I look like a girl right now, so doing girly stuff. Actually just trying to give my back a bit of a break and use this as core strengthening.

Notes: Weight was 184 today. I tend to drop 5 lbs once the carbs get lowered. I am not too pleased with my fat loss. I feel a bit leaner at the same weight, so that's good. I am going to give it another 2 weeks. Cardio will be increased a little. If things don't improve then I will consider going down from 200g of carbs on w/o days down to about 150. Then lower if needed. I am trying to hold on to as much muscle as possible.

cphafner
06-03-2009, 09:38 PM
DC Upper A:
Decline Bench: 200*25 (+5lb, -6 reps)
->weak weak weak

Lat Raise: 35*27 (same, +5 reps)

Smith Close Grip: 195*22 (+5lb, -3 reps)

Rack Pullups: +40*24 (+5lb, -1 rep)

Hammer High Row: 1pps+35ps*10 (+20lb, -2 reps)

Notes: Shouldn't have weighed in tonight. Depressing weight on the scale. I had to get into work at 6:30 this morning. Had to stay until almost 8pm. Bad bad stressful day. Went to the Yanks game last night and didn't get home until midnight. Not surprised that I had a bad workout today.

I had to wait for a long time for the smith machine. Some joker was doing set after set of squats with 135. He didn't unrack the weights either. Jackass. Saw him in the locker room and he was jacked and sliced. Damn genetics. He slammed into some big older guy in the locker room. Didn't even attempt to move out of the way. The older guy looked like he was going to kick his ass. The older guy walked away say "everyone's a **** (rhymes with bunt) over and over. It was pretty funny (and weird).

bill
06-04-2009, 09:12 AM
DC Upper A:
Decline Bench: 200*25 (+5lb, -6 reps)
->weak weak weak

Lat Raise: 35*27 (same, +5 reps)

Smith Close Grip: 195*22 (+5lb, -3 reps)

Rack Pullups: +40*24 (+5lb, -1 rep)

Hammer High Row: 1pps+35ps*10 (+20lb, -2 reps)

Notes: Shouldn't have weighed in tonight. Depressing weight on the scale. I had to get into work at 6:30 this morning. Had to stay until almost 8pm. Bad bad stressful day. Went to the Yanks game last night and didn't get home until midnight. Not surprised that I had a bad workout today.

I had to wait for a long time for the smith machine. Some joker was doing set after set of squats with 135. He didn't unrack the weights either. Jackass. Saw him in the locker room and he was jacked and sliced. Damn genetics. He slammed into some big older guy in the locker room. Didn't even attempt to move out of the way. The older guy looked like he was going to kick his ass. The older guy walked away say "everyone's a **** (rhymes with bunt) over and over. It was pretty funny (and weird).

Stay with it CP, it does suck when you see someone that it looks easy for though.

Coke
06-04-2009, 06:16 PM
Once you get the chance to build back up the eating habits, you'll be good to go again towards the big 200.

cphafner
06-06-2009, 02:09 PM
Bill: No worries. I have decent genetics that keep me lean. Nothing this guy had.

Cocoa: Thanks man. We'll see how I feel in the fall.

DC Lower B:

DB Curl: 50*16 (same, same)
->might drop down to 45 next time and work in a higher rep range. Might give 50's one more go.

Wrist Curls: 70*12->50*5 (same, +3 reps)
->wanted to get a little higher in the rep range, so dropped for a few extra reps

Seated Calf: 45lb*11 (-10lb, +3 reps)
->just a 45lb, but felt pretty good. Maybe time to bump it back up.

Seathed Ham Curls: 125*30 (same, +10 reps)

Squat Press: 5+10*15, 4p+10*20 (+10 on each, same reps)
->both very tough

Notes: Weight is getting real low on low carb days. Touched 181-182 yesterday. I'll way in tomorrow after 2 days of carbing up and I'm sure I'll be back around 187-188.

Have a date tonight. I asked the girl where she wanted to go. She picked a restaurant but was bummed she couldn't get a reservation. The restaurant happens to be owned a group of guys that I know. How in the world out of 2000 restaurants in NYC did she pick the one I have a hookup in. Emailed one of the guys and he gave us a primetime 8pm reservation. I look like a pimp. The girl is blown away. Going to be a pricey dinner though! It'll be $150-200 depending on how much wine we drink. Hopefully my buddy tosses a free bottle at us!

joey54
06-06-2009, 06:13 PM
CP coming through like Henry Hill!

Unholy
06-06-2009, 06:34 PM
Enjoy that date sucka. Looking good in those pics bro. What would you guess your BF % to be at? Any chance I can convince you to compete with me this fall? The shows are 20 and 22 weeks out as of today. INBF and OCB NYS natty champs. Dooo eeeeeeeett Pimp!!!!! Even just for fun.

Chubrock
06-07-2009, 10:37 AM
Gettin a lil vajayjay via connections. I like it. Your boy end up tossing in a free bottle for y'all or what?

cphafner
06-07-2009, 05:34 PM
Joey: Haha, I got to go in thru the front door, but it was pretty damn smooth.

Paul: No shot. My legs wouldn't be competitive with the fitness girl. Just not in the cards right now. I've leaned out a bit, but still a ways to go. Maybe around 12% right now.

Chubs: Nope. None of the owners I knew were there. Cost me $160. Took over as the priciest date I've ever had. I would not do this for some random girl. This girl is on the verge of being my first gf in 5 years. Dated plenty, but haven't committed to any. There won't be another date like this for a while. Next weekend we are going to a bbq festival. $8 a plate. We both work hard and make decent money. I'm not a big spender like this normally, but we both deserved a nice night on the town.

joey54
06-07-2009, 07:24 PM
Good to see you are balancing things out pretty well with everything you have on your plate right now.

cphafner
06-08-2009, 08:27 PM
Joey: Trying my best! Thanks man.

DC Upper B:
BB Bench: 190*21 (+5lb, same)

HS Shoulder Press: 1+35ps*32 (+10lb, same)

Dips: +55*23 (+5lb, -1 rep)
->really tired on these today

Nautilus Pulldown: 160*24 (+5lb, same)

Strive Row: 160*13 (+5, ???)

Notes: Weight was 183. Didn't weigh in this weekend, so not sure what I rebounded to after my carb up. I still feel like I haven't dropped any fat since I started my "cut". I'm sure I'm leaner, but I don't feel it.

Had some weird compliments today. A homeless guy called me big guy. My chiro asked me if I was on the juice. He couldn't believe I was down almsot 10lbs. One of the guys at my office said I better be working out my legs as much as my arms. I guess I still look ok. Dieting messes with the head.

Unholy
06-08-2009, 08:56 PM
Dieting is definitely a mind ****. You feel smaller and weaker due to decreased glycogen stores. But hey, if you can get past that mental block and push through it the proof of the efforts will be in the pudding.

cphafner
06-11-2009, 07:50 PM
Paul: You got that right.

DC Lower C:
Drag Curl: 75*22 (same, +1 rep)

Hammer Curls: 55*9 (+5lb, -2 reps)

V Squat Calf Raise: 2pps*12
->didn't like these, but had little options at this location

Pull Thrus: 80*20

Cybex Hack Squats: 120*20, 140*20

Notes A lot of different exercises tonight. I did these at the location near school. Hate this location. I had a midterm, so I didn't want to be late which was why I went here. This location is 2 blocks from school. The other is about 12 blocks away. My back is throbbing today. Time for a cruise. Going to take next week off. Also going to step up the dieting a bit. Going to drop 50g of carbs from my workout days. Body comp hasn't changed in the past 2 weeks.

cphafner
06-15-2009, 08:15 PM
DC Upper Cruise:

Nothing crazy. Some light incline, dips, DB presses, and rows. I think my volume is too high on these workouts. I don't come anywhere near failure, but should do less imo.

Notes: Weight was 184. Ate kinda bad this weekend. Went to BBQ festival yesterday and had a pulled pork sandwich and a beer. Then went for tapas with the new girl. Had a ton of sangria. Came home and had a ton more wine. I was hungover at work today.

Ran into the figure girl at the gym today. She is 1 week out of her show. She looks sick. Sliced up and down. She is totally humble too. Very cool girl. Works her ass of. I really hope she does well. Her trainer (PJ Braun) posted some pics on MD.com

http://forums.musculardevelopment.com/showthread.php?t=64022

Coke
06-16-2009, 10:31 AM
Always managing to stay on track no matter what is going on...nice to get out and enjoy life too.

cphafner
06-22-2009, 10:37 PM
Cocoa: Thanks man.

DC Upper A:
Incline Smith: 205*20
->placed back in this blast

Lat Raise: 35*25 (same, -2 reps)
not sure why these felt so heavy. Maybe it was the incline tiring out my front delts a bit.

Close Grip: 200*22 (+5, same reps)

Rack Pullups: +45*24 (+5, same)

Hammer Low Row: 1ps+35ps*14 (same, +2 reps)

Notes: No weight today. Had a busy weekend. Went to a Mets game on Friday night. Went to the US Open on Saturday. Bars on Saturday night. Father's day brunch on Sunday. Diet was ok given all that, but a bit higher in fat than I would like for a refeed. Had an impromntu date with the new girl tonight. Still going pretty well.

The girl from the gym did JR USAs this weekend. She didn't place in the top 15 of her class. I disagreed with her placing. I disagreed with a lot of the placings. She looked great. I hope she wasn't bummer. She is a cool girl and worked her butt off. She'll do better next time! She was ripped. Made me feel fat. I did a lot of cardio last need during my cruise. Think I got in 5 sessions. Planning for 3-4 cardio sessions this week.

cphafner
06-25-2009, 09:52 AM
DB Curl: 50*17 (same, +1 rep)

Pinwheels: (-5lb, -2 reps)
->arms were exhausted from the DB curls.

Seated Leg Curls: 130*30
->I hate this machine. Whoever designed it deserves to be punched in the face. It's not like the cybex machine where the support pad locks in on your thighs. This has a pad that goes behind your ankles and another in front. ******ed, but it is easy on my back and that's why I am using it.

Leg Press Calf Raise: 2+10*8 (-15, same)
->needed to come down a bit on these this week.

Close Stance Leg Press: 4pps*15, 4pps+25*8
->put these back in so I can try to train with somewhat heavy weights. Going to add 50 on each set for next time.

Notes: Didn't weigh in. I have decided that even though I am doing wussy leg exercises, I am going to bring the pain. My legs are grossly skinny right now. Need to make up for lack of squats with blinding intensity. Did a pretty good job yesterday. I was dreading the walk up the stairs out of the gym after this.

I got this all done in about 35 mins. I was in a crappy mood. My manager kept me at work later than I needed to be because he was kind of taking his sweet ass time checking some of my work. I was annoyed and it forced me to rush my workout before running to class. I'm doing my best to balance all these different aspects of my life.

DGabe24
06-25-2009, 12:46 PM
Damn man, looks like you got a full plate...I give ya credit for still bustin ur ass in the gym as tough as some aspects in life make it.

Coke
06-26-2009, 08:46 AM
Keeping everything in check all at once can be difficult but you get it done...good job with the swift effort.

cphafner
06-29-2009, 09:23 PM
Cocoa and Gabe: Thanks fellas. Doing my best. Things aren't going to slow down any time soon, so I'll just try to keep at it!

DC Upper B:
Decline BB: 205*23
->I had more on each set, but was afraid of getting pinned.

HS Shoulder: 2pps*27

Dips: +55*25
->eeked out a few more than in the last blast.

V grip Pulldown: 170*20

Strive Row Machine: 160*14

Notes: Decent session. Good place to move on from here.

DC Lower B:
Cybex Preacher Curls: 110*17
->Nice tough negatives and hold on the last set.

Cable Wrist Curl: 70*10
->this doesn't seem to be an exercise that I'll make gains on...

Seated Calf: 55*10
->tough set

Sumo Leg Press: 2pps*40

Front Squat: 95*10, 115*8
->did these on a sort of squat machine. Moves like a free weight. Just getting used to them. Nothing heavy, but considering I hadn't done squats in a while even the light weight was tough. Went as deep as I could.

Notes: Weight was 180 on the dot. Touched 178 the other day. Dropping more weight than I would like. Starting to lean out a bit, but not enough imo. I think I'd be 165-170 to be lean. I was reading an interesting conversation on professionalmuscle the other day. One of the trainers said people complain that people lose too much muscle while cutting, but he said they didn't have the muscle to begin with. That's where I am. Going from 190-180 I probably didn't lose that much muscle. I probably only have a solid 165 or so on my frame and then filled it out with fat and water.

Sidior
06-29-2009, 09:26 PM
Do you have a bf % goal for this cut, or a bodyweight goal?

Way to keep training even with the dip**** manager keeping you late.

cphafner
07-05-2009, 02:13 PM
Sid: Nah. Just leaning out and screwing around.

Drag Curls: 65*28 RP
->obviously too light.
f03zKduh5e8

Hammers: 50*10 SS
ASDZaIkRV4g

Standing Calf: 240*12 SS

Pull Thru: 80*23 RP
->prefer to do these lighter
tzDxRDLWD0s

Squat Press: 6pps*9, 5pps*13 SS
->the 5 plates was too heavy for a widow maker, but I'll get more reps next time.
hD8tFT2asBA
Notes: Haven't weighed in, somewhere around 180. I went to a roofdeck in queens yesterday to hang out. Got some sun, too much sun! I am crispy. The host, my friend Liz, was my tan girl at my show and she said I looked pretty good. I'll take it.

Went to a buddies place in Weehawken last night for the Macy's fireworks. Three of the barges were right out from of his place. It was sick.

I took my camera in yesterday. I was one of the few people in the gym at 9am on July 4th. Pretty empty. Some new trainer was following me around and watching my every move. Luckily he left me alone.

joey54
07-05-2009, 04:25 PM
Way to get most of your workout on video.

cphafner
07-06-2009, 08:41 PM
Joey: I got it all, but some wasn't on a good angle.

DC Upper A:

Smith Incline:225*17 (+20, -3 reps)

Lat Raise: 40*21 (+5, -4 reps)
->these suckers felt heavy. A small jump makes a big difference.

Smith Close Grip: 205*18 (+5, -4 reps)
->was tiring

Rack Pullups: +55*25 (+10, +1 rep)
->damn these were tough

Cybex High Row: 2pps*10 (+20, -5)
->was dead from pullups

Notes: Weight was......light. Saw the figure girl in the gym today. Holy ****. She has better conditioning than anyone on this site, maybe ever. Sick. Ripped. I was jealous. Her upper body looks insane. Her lower body looks great, but she has purposly kept it less lean. She said she got feedback from her last show that she was too muscular for figure. She was in the last callout of 40 girls. Girl looked sick! Judges suck. Someone told her that she thought maybe they forgot about her because there were so many girls. Hopefully she does better at NA's. She's a real sweet girl. Works her butt off.

So had a bit of a crazy weekend. I added an extra carb up day in the mix because of the holiday. Went to Yankee stadium on Thursday and they warned my buddies we were going to get tossed. She we were meatheads using too much foul language. Family in front of us security about us. I told them they sucked. I'm a very calm kid. To get under my skin you really have to try. My brother said it best. Tell them they were in da ****ing Bronx!

Saturday went to a friend's roof deck for a bbq. I got some sun. Too much sun! So burnt. She posted a picture on facebook. I look like crap. No where near lean enough and too skinny. Went to a buddies place to watch the Macy's display. It was on the Jersey side this year. It was awesome. The new girl stayed at my place for the first time this weekend. She gave me a ridiculous hickey. Guys at work gave me hell today.

Coke
07-07-2009, 10:00 AM
Liking those vids dude, props on the new companion - ;)

samadhi_smiles
07-07-2009, 12:54 PM
I notice you do BB bench with your DC training. The dude that invented the system (Dante) I think is always going off on how he doesn't want his guys doing that. Way too many pec tears. I love decline and dips way better than flat bench myself. But I guess whatever works for you.

joey54
07-07-2009, 03:56 PM
I notice you do BB bench with your DC training. The dude that invented the system (Dante) I think is always going off on how he doesn't want his guys doing that. Way too many pec tears. I love decline and dips way better than flat bench myself. But I guess whatever works for you.

He also discusses how if you want/have to do them, keep them in a higher rep range. Flat bench pressing isn't as evil as it is made out to be, one just needs to be smart about it. High rep deadlift and squat sets can do as much damage to one's back as a bench pressing can do to their pecs.

cphafner
07-08-2009, 09:15 PM
Coke: Thanks man. Not a regular thing. It was early on July 4th. Figured I could tape w/o bothering people.

Samadhi: I tried them for a blast. Not back in this new one. My main issue was training w/o a partner was knowing when to stop. I got pinned once.

Travis: Thanks for the tips.

DC Lower A Round 2:
DB Curls: 55*13 (+5, -4)
->another exercise where a 5 lb jump makes a huge difference. Probably should have chosen a different exercise this blast.

Pinwheel Curls: 50*10 (same, +2 reps)

Seated Ham Curls: 140*30 (+10, same reps)
->tough. Still hate the design of this machine.

Leg Press Calf Raise: 2pps+10*10 (same, +2)
->out of order because someone was on the leg press

Close Stance Leg Press: 5pps*10, 3+25*20 (+40, +2 and -40, +5)
->heavy set was a much better weight this time. Kicked my ass, so had to go lower on the widowmaker, but again better weight. I thought I was going to pass out after the first set. Had to sit down for at least 5 minutes if not longer.

Had a great day at work. A person I work with told me she told the head of our business unit I was doing awesome work for her. If the market picks back up I could be in line for a nice promotion. Good stuff.

Chubrock
07-09-2009, 06:40 AM
I saw you did rack pullups awhile back. What exactly are those?

samadhi_smiles
07-09-2009, 09:03 AM
He also discusses how if you want/have to do them, keep them in a higher rep range. Flat bench pressing isn't as evil as it is made out to be, one just needs to be smart about it. High rep deadlift and squat sets can do as much damage to one's back as a bench pressing can do to their pecs.

yeah you're right and I do both (high rep deadlift and squatting :hide:)...

digging ya'lls DC journals...I've just been implementing a couple things here and there. I still want to get a bigger squat before I start DC (I want a 405 squat first then I'll jump in DC full on).

more power to ya'll!

samadhi_smiles
07-09-2009, 09:06 AM
I saw you did rack pullups awhile back. What exactly are those?

its basically a pullup with your feet hooked over a bar (so you're in an L shape) and weight stacked on your lap. I tried them once they feel weird haha! I guess its for larger guys that can't hit the rep range that they are trying to hit (14-22 I think?).

cphafner
07-09-2009, 09:38 PM
Chubs:

vM-b4qOOWsE&feature=related

Samadhi: It's actually because of the deep stretch you can get at the bottom. It also seems to not bother my biceps like a regular pullup. For me the weight thing is just the opposite. I can do pullups all day long. But with rack pulls I can easily add more weight and still get a high # of reps. DC calls for I think 11-15 on them. I am too high rep wise. Will work it lower.

It's a good call getting the strength up before jumping in. Dante would probably hate it if he knew a skinny little punk like me was doing DC. I'm not ready strength wise, but I have the dedication that he calls for. I don't miss workouts. I bust my ass in there. I might not be squatting 500 or pulling 600, but I work till I drop.

Notes: Went in and did 30 mins of elliptical after class. The trainer I'm friendly with was like "damn your late, going to be doing midnight workouts soon". I said at least I got in here to which he agreed.

I am at a crossroads in my diet. I have leaned out, but not as much as I wanted. I am getting too skinny. One of the women at my office keeps telling me I am dissapearing. All my shirts are loose. I wear a lot of polo shirts to work and the sleeves use to be way stretched out. Now I have plenty of room. I cut out 50g of carbs about 2 weeks ago and have dropped about 5 lbs since then. I am thinking about adding 50g of carbs back in to my lunch. Here is where I am. I know people will give me crap, but I feel fat and small at the same time.

Coke
07-10-2009, 09:21 AM
Looking good in the pic...thankx for sharing the rack chins vid.

cphafner
07-11-2009, 11:17 AM
Cocoa: Thanks man.

Decline BB: 215*18 (+10, -5reps)
->dissapointing

HS SHoulder: 2pps+10ps*21 (+20, -7 reps)
->dissapointing here too

Dips: +65*21 (+10, -1 rep)
->these were better

Pulldowns: 180*19 (+10, -1 rep)

Strive Row: 170*12 (+10, -2 rep)

Notes: I was exhausted last night. I was at the office until 7:30. I ran to the gym and then headed home and finished up my work around 11:00. This was a crazy week. I barely slept and it took it's toll on my by last night. I slept today until noon today. Going to hit a bit of cardio n a bit and then do some reading this afternoon. Watching the UFC tonight.

cphafner
07-11-2009, 11:45 PM
So it's late and I'm slightly drunk and maybe shouldn't make decisions now, but I am adding some carbs back in and going to get the weight moving north again. I went to a bar to watch the UFC and bumped into 2 of the trainers from the gym. The one guy is cool as hell and is the only guy I talk to in there. He asked my weight and was emabarassed to say it. I am down 18lbs this summer. That is crazy. Way too much. I am going to start adding 50g of carbs back in and see what happens. I'll keep adding back in carbs as needed. I want to stay fairly lean, but need to fill back out. I am also going to throw deads back in. My back is tight, but not hurting. Just need to stretch, do my core work, and fight through the tightness. Time to man up.

I told the trainer I don't think people like me in the gym. He said I respect you. You come in and pound thru your workout. You don't come in and socialize like everyone else. I'll take that as a compliment. He is a former MMA fighter. Told him one of my buddies wanted me to try BJJ. Told me to come roll with him sometime if I wanted.

cphafner
07-13-2009, 07:38 PM
DC Lower B:
Cybex Preacher Curl: 120*16 (+10, -1 rep)
->really gutted out the last rep on the 3rd set. Wanted one more, but it wasn't happening.

Cable Wrist Curls: 70*12 (same, +2)
->not sure I'll be able to jump to 80 next time. That 10lb makes a big difference

Seated Calf: 65*12 (+10, +2 reps)
->tough set. My calves felt like rocks afterwards.

Sumo Leg Press: 2pps+25ps*40 (+50, same)
->I was really surprised by how strong I was here today. Obviously I can go up next time.

Front Squat: 135*10 (+40*10), 185*4 (+70, -4 reps)
->next time I will start with 185 for a heavy set and then go into a widowmaker.

Notes: Weight was barely over 180 today. I added 50g of carbs back in, so around 150g on w/o days.

Chubrock
07-13-2009, 08:31 PM
Dude, get into the whole BJJ thing. It's a helluva workout and a lot of fun.

joey54
07-14-2009, 05:00 AM
Widows on a free front squat would be tough. Don't think I will ever have the fortitude to try those. That will be a good movement to get strong on.

Coke
07-14-2009, 08:04 AM
UFC-100 was cool, it'd be interesting to see you get into the MMA game - you're a hard worker to begin with.

cphafner
07-16-2009, 08:13 PM
Chubs and Cocoa: No way fellas! I'm a pretty boy. I'd rather watch than fight.

Joey: Not sure I'll ever get to a full 20 rep set on front squats. Too afraid to tweak my back. Will probably handle them more like a deadlift rep range.

DC Upper C:
HS Press: 2pps+35ps*11 (+20lb, -6 reps)
->just barely got in the rep range. I think this was the heaviest I have done. I feel like I could get 5lbs more per side and stay above the range. Energy was a bit low yesterday.

Strive Shoulder Press: 130*16 (+5, -2 reps)

Reverse Grip Smith Bench: 205*22 (+10lb, +3 reps)
->think the caffeine really started kicking in, got a surge of energy.

Nautilus Pulldown: 180*23 (+10lbs, +1 rep)
->tough set

HS Iso Row: 3pps+25*15
->sucking wind. Going to start pushing the weight up here.

Notes: Went to the location near school and it sucks! I have done a few leg workouts there, but this may have been my 1st upper body there. The clientele is terrible. There was some fat guy in jeans (with a weight belt on the whole time of course) benching. He was doing 245 and had guys spotting him on both sides like there was 600lbs on the bar. He struggled thru maybe 6 reps. Then on the last one and got pinned and the weights almost slid off one side. Great spotters. He had 3 guys following him around. It was terrible. Another kid was trying to circuit train in the leg room. He did extensions, leg curls, bicep curls, upright rows, and maybe pushdowns. He kept asking people to work in. Totally getting in the way. I was on the smith machine and he looked at me like he was going to come over and ask to use it. I think my death stare turned him aside. Tool.

Been stressed like crazy at work this week. I have a half day tomorrow thank goodness.

Coke
07-18-2009, 07:39 AM
Keep hanging tough with everything, especially the workplace - no doubt you're glad to still be employed.

That's a messed up gym, lol.

dynamo
07-18-2009, 08:01 AM
.....I told the trainer I don't think people like me in the gym. He said I respect you. You come in and pound thru your workout. You don't come in and socialize like everyone else....

I have the same issue at my gym. I never socialize unless its at the end of my workout and someone stops me on my way out the door. I feel the same way. I feel like most people don't like me either considering I never socialize, use chalk, and lift heavy weights compared to them. I always expect a trainer to come up to me one day and say 'hey you're not allowed to use chalk, or hey people get intimidated by how much weight you lift, could you tone it down?' So I feel ya, I just stay respectful and help people out when they ask for it.

cphafner
07-18-2009, 09:37 AM
Cocoa: Just doing the best I can!

Dynamo: The trainers either like me or stay out of my way. I've been at this gym for years now. I clean up after myself, so no one has ever said a peep to me. Maybe it's because I'm not out lifting them though! Thanks for stopping in.

DC Upper C:
Drag Curls: 85*20 (+20, -8 reps)
->moved from the premade bars to the curl bar. Better weight. Will go up again.

Hammers: 55*10->5 (+5lb, +5 reps)
->the 55's felt real light today. My gym is in the basement and given how humid it was in the city yesterday the moisture gets real bad down there. The weights were slipping out of my hands, so added some straps and cranked out a few more.

Standing Calf: 255*12 (+15, +2 reps)
->good. Moving up next time

Pull Thrus: 90*33 (+10, same reps)

Squat Press: 6pps+25*10 (+50, +1 rep), 5pps*15 (same, +2 reps)
->these were rough. This is the most weight I have ever used on here. I though I may have tweaked my ham, but rolling and stretching seemed to knock it right back down.

Notes: Didn't weight in will weigh in later today. See where I am after a bit of carb loading.

Had a rough day at work. Was supposed to leave @ 2 for a "half day". I left about 3. One of my coworkers messed up and I had to clean the mess. Not only did I spend the day cleaning his mess, I couldn't do any of my work. Next week should be fun.

Going to a bbq today. Going to the Yanks tomorrow. Should be a fun weekend, and hopefully release some stress!

joey54
07-18-2009, 12:12 PM
I like your approach to the front squats. When I turn to them I am just using them for the heavy set and will probably use another movement for the widow. Enjoy the weekend.

cphafner
07-20-2009, 08:02 PM
Joey: Thanks man. They are tough on the quads. Would love to get the weight up on them.

DC Incline A:
Smith Incline: 235*13 (+10, -4 reps)
->these felt heavy as hell.

Lat Raise: 45*14 (+5, -7 reps)
->same as above. Can't imagine much progress will be made on these.

Close Grip Smith: 225*15 (+20, -3 reps)
->these felt stronger than the 1st two exercises. Seems to be a trend...

Rack Pullups: +60*24 (+5, -1 rep)
->balancing the DB is getting tougher. Decent weight.

Rack Pulls: 365*6, 315*11
->felt strong. Back is a bit tight now. New exercise.

Notes: Weight is back over 180. It feels like the caffeine has been kicking in about the 3rd exercise. Maybe I need to take it earlier. Add rack pulls in. Felt great. While I was getting ready for my 2nd set, some jackass came up and asked me how many sets I had left. I had wrapped up on the bar and had my headphones in and loud. I had to unwrap and take out my headphones to talk to him. Why couldn't this character wait until I finished my set. It was obvious I was about to start. Freaking people. I told him I had one left, but someone else was waiting for the rack (which was true). When I finished I signaled the 1st guy that was waiting. Helped him rack the bar and move it up so he could squat. I'm not jerk, just hate jerks.

Coke
07-21-2009, 08:02 AM
Props on throwing the rack pulls into the mix.

Sidior
07-22-2009, 01:20 AM
Brutal about the guy chatting you up after you had wrapped up on the bar. Usually I shoot someone a dirty look when that happens and just make them wait until I'm done.

Looking forward to seeing your progress on the rack pulls.

cphafner
07-22-2009, 09:49 PM
Cocoa: Thanks. Gonna give them a go and see how the back holds up.

Sid: So ****ing annoying. I saw him in there yesterday. He was staring at me a bit and getting under my skin. Joker. I haven't say 5 words to most people in there. Wish people would just leave me alone most of the time.

DC Lower A:
DB Curls: 55*14 (same, +1 rep)
->some swinging going on. Can't see myself getting out many more reps or moving up to 60's for any decent amount of reps. Maybe I'll try the 60's and see how it goes.

Pinwheel curls: 55*11 (+5, +1 rep)
->did 7 reps and grip was gone, so added straps and got a few more. Grip on the forearm work has been limited. I tire quickly after the bicep work.

Seated Leg Curls: 150*30 (+10, same reps)
->still hate this machine, but weight is going up. These were tough. Really fought on the last set to get up to 30 total reps. I still like doing my ham work with higher reps.

Leg Press Calf Raise: 2pps+15ps*10
->I think it was 10. At one point I hit pause on my ipod (how I keep track of the timing on the reps) to talk to someone. I was holding the pause at the bottom forever. I was so out of it I forgot to hit play, so the timer wasn't moving. I held it for probably 40 seconds. Duh.

Leg Press: 5pps+25ps*8 (+50lb, -2 reps), 3pps+35ps*20 (+20, same reps)
->first set felt really really heavy. Second second was brutal. I was walking across the room to put one of the plates back and got dizzy. Had to sit down for a minute.

Notes: Exhausted today. I have had an insanely stressful week at work. I can't wait to sleep in on Saturday.

joey54
07-23-2009, 05:15 AM
Count that 40 second hold on the calves as 3 reps CP. Way to keep pushing through.

Coke
07-23-2009, 08:24 AM
Serious stuff with those db curls, I'm not too familiar with the pinwheel curls though.

samadhi_smiles
07-23-2009, 09:52 AM
So it's late and I'm slightly drunk and maybe shouldn't make decisions now, but I am adding some carbs back in and going to get the weight moving north again. I went to a bar to watch the UFC and bumped into 2 of the trainers from the gym. The one guy is cool as hell and is the only guy I talk to in there. He asked my weight and was emabarassed to say it. I am down 18lbs this summer. That is crazy. Way too much. I am going to start adding 50g of carbs back in and see what happens. I'll keep adding back in carbs as needed. I want to stay fairly lean, but need to fill back out. I am also going to throw deads back in. My back is tight, but not hurting. Just need to stretch, do my core work, and fight through the tightness. Time to man up.

I told the trainer I don't think people like me in the gym. He said I respect you. You come in and pound thru your workout. You don't come in and socialize like everyone else. I'll take that as a compliment. He is a former MMA fighter. Told him one of my buddies wanted me to try BJJ. Told me to come roll with him sometime if I wanted.
do you do carb refeeds? I have started this and it works really well. Moderate carbs most days and then some days HIGH carbs (like 400-500g). The next day dude I am a beast, insanely vascular and really good leverages cause my muscles are way pumped up with nutes than normal.

I use pizza usually on the weekends cause its goooooooooooood :evillaugh:

cphafner
07-26-2009, 01:21 PM
Joey: Either way no big deal, I'll add 10lbs on next time.

Cocoa: Pins are basically hammers but done in front of your body instead of the weights on your side.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGqr4CJWs3E

Samadhi: I do. In the middle of it right now. I carb load every weekend.

Decline Bench: 225*13 (+10, -5 reps)
->these felt heavy. I probably had a few more in me, but was afraid of getting pinned.

HS Shoulder: 2+25ps*9 (+30, -12 reps)
->I knew this would be a jump, but didn't expect this. I did this workout at the gym near my apartment. I always feel like this machine is heavier here than at my usual. Not going to worry about this. I try it at my usual gym and see how it goes.

Dips: +70*37 (+5, +13 reps)
->since the first 2 exercises didn't push me endurance wise,these felt real light. It almost felt like nothing was on the belt.

Pulldowns: 190*19 (+10, same reps)
->these were hard.

Strive Row: 180*11 (+10, - 1 rep)
->same as above

Notes: Weight was light light light. Expected the scale to pop up a bit. Not going to freak out because I got hammered on Friday. I am still feeling a bit dehydrated. I actually skipped my workout on Friday for the 1st time in a while. Just had a brutal week and need to cut lose a bit. Found this awesome speakeasy type place. Drank some awesome Manhattans. Very expensive, but worth the change of pace.

I feel like I have filled back out, but the scale is saying otherwise. I feel like my chest has really seen a bit of growth, DC stretching... I'll see how the scale is next weekend and then decide if I need to tweak the diet a bit. These are just now. Still a little pump from the gym.

Coke
07-26-2009, 06:26 PM
I've done pins before but didn't know the actual name of 'em...major props on the new size guy!!

Sidior
07-26-2009, 11:40 PM
Your chest really is looking thicker!

cphafner
07-27-2009, 09:19 PM
Cocoa: They are a good exercise. Can go nice and heavy.

Sid: Thanks man!

DC Lower B:
Cybex Preacher: 130*12 (+10, -4 reps)
->these were damn tough. Only got 2 reps on the final set.

Cable Wrist Curls: 70*13 (same, +1 rep)
->still can't picture jumping up to 80. Maybe I'll hang a 2.5 or 5lb plate off the stack.

Seated Calf: 70*10 (+5, -2 reps)
->these really killed the calf. Rock like afterwards.

Sumo Leg Press: 3pps*37 (+50, -3 reps)
->still have more weight I can add here. Went a bit too deep. Felt them a bit too much in my quads.

Front Squats: 135*6/6->8
->first 2 sets done free weight. First time trying these free weight with a snatch grip. Need more shoulder flexibilty. Form didn't feel good. Did the last set on the semi smith machine.

Notes: Weight is not good again. Am going to add 50g of carbs in split pre/post workout. The guy that interrupted my rack pulls the other day asked me how many sets I had on the rack. He was patient and waited even thought I offered to share. He saw my working out shoeless and asked me about different styles of shoes to work out in. He redeemed himself a bit.

Back is tight. Need to roll and stretch before bed.

cphafner
07-29-2009, 05:19 PM
So I just tried to do an upper body session. Energy was crap. I failed big on my first two lifts. 3rd lift, I almost got pinned under the bar. I packed up and went home. I have had an insanely stressful week at work. Have barely slept. I am starving the past two days. I am going to listen to my body and up the carbs. Since I'm in a **** mood I will probably treat myself to some McD's tonight and force in some serious cals to my body. Back also hasn't felt good since my front squats on Monday.

muscled
07-29-2009, 05:21 PM
Smartest thing you could have done, cp. Go eat and get a good night's sleep. You'll tear that chit up next time, baby!

joey54
07-29-2009, 06:31 PM
So I just tried to do an upper body session. Energy was crap. I failed big on my first two lifts. 3rd lift, I almost got pinned under the bar. I packed up and went home. I have had an insanely stressful week at work. Have barely slept. I am starving the past two days. I am going to listen to my body and up the carbs. Since I'm in a **** mood I will probably treat myself to some McD's tonight and force in some serious cals to my body. Back also hasn't felt good since my front squats on Monday.

Sounds like time for a mini cruise.

cphafner
08-02-2009, 02:52 PM
Muscled: Thanks man. Gotta listen to the body!

Joey: You are right. I wanted one more go around, but now is a good time for a week off. I'll go into detail below.

DC Lower C:
Drag Curls: 95*?
->damn, forgot to write the reps. Not very many. Maybe 15ish.

Hammers: 60*9 (+5, -1 rep)
->I cheated and wore straps for these. Heavy, but felt cool moving big db's for curls.

Standing Calf: 270*12 (+15lb, same reps)
->another tough set. Heaviest since I started db.

Pull Thru: 100*28 (+10, -5 reps)

Squat Press: 6pps+35ps*10 (+20lb, same), 5pps+10ps*18 (+20, +3 reps(
->hard.

Notes: Weight today after a bit of a carb up is 182. My appetite has been flying. I had added carbs in when I get hungry. I ate a double cheeseburger and fries from 5 guys on Thursday and was still hungry afterwards.

I think Joey is right and I should take a mini cruise. My back is tight, but not in pain. Going to stretch in a bit. I have a final this week and then get a month off from school. This week will be a good week to take a break and then hit it hard during my "summer" vacation from school.

joey54
08-02-2009, 04:15 PM
Rest up and come back to destroy the log book.

Sidior
08-02-2009, 04:37 PM
Enjoy the week off.

Coke
08-03-2009, 10:15 AM
The break will do you a world of good imo - relax and enjoy bro.

cphafner
08-10-2009, 09:17 PM
Fellas: Thanks for the support! Last week was a very tough week for me professionally. I honestly thought I was going to get fired over a mistake. Picked a good week to take off. Today I was rested, stress free, and ready to attack the weights!

Smith Incline: 235*13 (same, same)
->man...not sure how I can progress here.

Lat Raise: 45*17 (same, +4 reps)
->Not the cleanest reps, but heavy, so I'll take it. Veins in the shoulders popping out during these looked pretty cool!

Smith Close Grip: 225*17 (+10, +2 reps)
->felt strong here.

Rack Pullups: +65*25 (+5, +1 rep)
->these are getting tough to balance. Going to need help getting the DB on and off soon.

Rack Pulls: 315*10 (same, -1), 365*6 (same, same)
->didn't know what I did last time...forgot my belt, but back felt pretty good.

Notes: Weight...low. So I bough Justin Harris and Shelby Starne's ebook last night. They are big on carb cycling. I am going to make some changes for the winter. More high carb days and less low carb days. Gunning for 550 carbs on high days with 300 protein, and low fat. Going for 200 carbs on "moderate/low" day with 350 protein and 90-100 of fat.

My gym sucks. I had to wait for everything. While I was waiting for the smith to do rack pullups, some joker was reading the paper in between sets! I f'ing hate this gym, but it's so convenient. This workout took twice as long as it should have.

Coke
08-12-2009, 07:33 AM
Keep hanging in there at the workplace and in any tired ass gym, tough luck at that place.

Liked the whole session overall, especially the pullups - try using the chain belt if there is one around, just loop the chain around the db and go for it man.

cphafner
08-12-2009, 09:00 PM
Cocoa: Thanks man. You can't really use a belt doing rack pullups. My butt is almost on the ground on the bottom. The bar is about waist height and your feet are on a bench. The next option is to use an ez bar across my lap.

DC Lower A:
DB Curls: 60*6->55*6
->as I thought, 60's are too heavy. Really should switch these up. I'll just go higher in the rep range for the rest of the blast.

DB Pins: 60*7 (+5, -4 reps)
->should be ok here. 55's are too light.

Seated Leg Curls: 160*27 (+10, -3 reps)

Leg Press Calf Raise: 2pps+20ps*10 (+20, same)
->really, really tough

Leg Press: 5pps+35ps (+20, -1 rep), 4pps(+20, same)
->both were tough, but the second set was real tough. I see people saying these use a ton more weight on leg press, but I wonder if it's the same machine...this has a big incline and get crazy heavy at the bottom. I've used other leg press machines that you could go much heavier. Maybe I'm just weak...

Notes: Scale at the gym was no where near level. I'll try it again on Friday. I was beat tonight. I was sweating, shaking, near passing out from effort (especially the leg press). I look around and people are smiling, happy, like they are out for a casual walk in the park. Wtf. Haha.

RBB
08-12-2009, 09:36 PM
Cocoa: Thanks man. You can't really use a belt doing rack pullups. My butt is almost on the ground on the bottom. The bar is about waist height and your feet are on a bench. The next option is to use an ez bar across my lap.

DC Lower A:
DB Curls: 60*6->55*6
->as I thought, 60's are too heavy. Really should switch these up. I'll just go higher in the rep range for the rest of the blast.

DB Pins: 60*7 (+5, -4 reps)
->should be ok here. 55's are too light.

Seated Leg Curls: 160*27 (+10, -3 reps)

Leg Press Calf Raise: 2pps+20ps*10 (+20, same)
->really, really tough

Leg Press: 5pps+35ps (+20, -1 rep), 4pps(+20, same)
->both were tough, but the second set was real tough. I see people saying these use a ton more weight on leg press, but I wonder if it's the same machine...this has a big incline and get crazy heavy at the bottom. I've used other leg press machines that you could go much heavier. Maybe I'm just weak...

Notes: Scale at the gym was no where near level. I'll try it again on Friday. I was beat tonight. I was sweating, shaking, near passing out from effort (especially the leg press). I look around and people are smiling, happy, like they are out for a casual walk in the park. Wtf. Haha.

haha, i see this all the time, cp. everyone in my gym is smiling and talking during their sets. it's unbelievable that they think they're working hard. everything's looking good, brotha. keep pounding away. you're definitely one of the most consistent and dedicated guys around, year after year. i like that kind of attitude.

joey54
08-13-2009, 05:01 AM
Give the EZ bar a try.

Clifford Gillmore
08-13-2009, 05:27 AM
I look around and people are smiling, happy, like they are out for a casual walk in the park. Wtf. Haha.

Haha, I like that. I wouldn't over think the leg press too much Con, if its a TRUE 45 sled 1pps can be BRUTAL. I used the EliteFTS monstrosity with 2pps and could barely walk afterwards, the sled alone weighs 308lbs...

I'll have to keep tabs on this journal more often, reminds me when I used to train to look good!

cphafner
08-15-2009, 09:56 AM
Joey: I've been doing EZ bar drag curls and the cybex preacher curls. I'll think of another curl I can use.

RIsk: Thanks man. I have weak girly girls with no strength, I'll get there. I am still training to be a pretty boy!

Decline BB: 230*14 (+5lbs, +1 rep)
->Much better than last session. Had to leave a few reps out there due to fear of getting stuck under the bar.

HS SHoulder: 2pps+25ps*14 (same, +5)
->alright, so much better this time.

Dips: 75*25 (+5, -12 reps)
->not surprised by the big drop in reps since I did a much better job on the 1st two exercises

Pulldowns: 200*12 (+10, -7 reps)
->hit a wall...

Strive Rows: 190*10 (+10, -1 rep)
->same as above.

Notes: Weight still isn't going up... I've strarted tracking my diet again. Averaged 3250 the past 2 days. I am going for 3200 on non-workout days and 3400 on workout days. Will keep here for a week and then go up. I will probably get up to around 4000 cals. Off to Costco.

joey54
08-15-2009, 10:19 AM
Sorry CP, I meant try the EZ bar for rack chins.

cphafner
08-15-2009, 10:23 AM
Sorry CP, I meant try the EZ bar for rack chins.

Ah, yeah I was thinking of doing that. Thank Joey.

Clifford Gillmore
08-15-2009, 02:32 PM
You could probally add in another 300-400 cals on training days, rather than just 200cals. Especially if its just PRE/PWO dex/malto or other carbs, unless your keeping it that low for some reason.

cphafner
08-19-2009, 07:19 PM
Risk: I'm just trying to keep ratcheting up the cals until I get to the point where I can add 1 lb lean a week. Every year I get gung ho about bulking add jump up to 4500+ cals a week which just turns me into mush. I think I should be able to slowly bulk around 3800 cals, but am going up 200 or so cals at a time to find out. I added about 300-350 cals on my workout days. I bought a new blender, so adding 1 cup of oats, 1 cup milk, and a banana to my morning shake This should bring me to around 3500-3600 a day. I'll give it a week or two and then bump about 200-300 cals if necessary. Thanks for the input!

DC Lower B:
Cybex Preacher Curl: 135*11 (+5, -1 rep)
->getting tough to move up the weight

Cable Curls: 70*13 (same, same)

Seated Calf: 75*9 (+5, -1 rep)

Sumo Leg Press: 3pps+10ps*40 (+20lb, +3 reps)
->I may have gotten less, kind of lost count. Either way it was more weight for around or better on reps. Keep bumping here.

Front Squat: 135*8, 155*8
->did the trick sensei showed with using staps around the bar for make shift handles. Really helped balance. Should start progressing here.

DC Upper C:
HS Chest Press: 2pps+40ps*11 (same, +2)

Cybex Shoulder: 140*14 (+5, +2 reps)

Reverse Grip: 215*18 (+10, -4 reps)

Nautilus Pulldown: 185*20 (+5, - 3reps)

Iso Rows: 4pps*14 (+40lb, 1 rep)

Notes: No change in weight...see above for diet changes. I have been so stressed the last couple days. Battling a cold too (from stress). Been chugging Nyquil to sleep this week. Surprised today was as strong as it was. The more I have been eating, the hungrier I have been! People stopped to watch me do the Iso rows. I don't think 4 plates is that much. I think Travis does like 6.

Coke
08-20-2009, 03:30 PM
The ISO rows with 4pps do look badass, make no mistake, lol...nice job for both days Conor.

joey54
08-20-2009, 07:13 PM
Good work, keep it up.

cphafner
08-24-2009, 09:08 PM
Cocoa and Joey: Thanks fellas

DC Lower C:

Drag Curl: 100*19 (+5lb, ?)

Hammers: 60*10 (same, +1 rep)
->certainly not the cleanest reps

Standing Calf: 285*11 (+15, -1 rep)

Pull Thru: 110*33 (+10, +5 reps)

Squat Press: 7pps*10 (+20, same)
->was too tired for a drop set

DC Upper A:
Smith Incline: 245*11 (+10, -2)
->felt ok

Lat Raise: 50*5->45*12
->50's are too heavy. I should pick a different exercise next blast.

Close Grip: 235*16 (+10, -1 rep)

Rack Pullups: +70*24 (+5, -1 rep)
->used the ez curl this time. Bit easier to balance, but a bit tougher to get in place.

Rack Pulls: 385*10, 315*13
->felt strong.

Notes: Weight is still unchanged. Got 3600 cals in today. Need a couple hundred more. I hate my gym. The f'ing squat rack in broking again. I tried a bunch of different places to do rack pulls, then finally smashed the braces into the squat rack so I could use it. I was really pissed. I wasted probably 20 minutes. I was in the gym for like 2 hours tonight. I really need to speed up. A good deal of it was spent chatting to my old workout partner. I see him every once in a while. Still a lean giant.

Coke
08-27-2009, 11:15 AM
Too bad you don't like your gym, that's half that battle or at least part of it...did pretty good in there though.

cphafner
08-30-2009, 04:58 PM
Cocoa: Yeah, I should make a change, but I hate change. I'll keep fighting through it.

Decline BB: 235*14 (+5, same)
->have more in me, afraid of getting stuck under the bar. No good spotters in site.

HS Shoulder Press: 2+35*12 (+12, -2)
->heavy bastards

Dips: +80*22 (+5, -3 reps)

Pulldowns: 200*14

Strive Row: 190*12

Notes: So my big news for the weekend is that I have hired Shelby Starnes to help me with an "offseason" diet. Shelby just placed 3rd in the Welter's @ North Americans. He is freaky shredded. I'm giving it to myself as an early 30th bday present (4 weeks early). I know I could do this on my own, but I want to see what a top guy does. Every time this year I start a bulk and freak when I see a little bodyfat. Shelby is a carb cycling guy, and uses them in his bulks for clean bulks. I think we should do good things over the next 3 months.

I had to send him some starting pics, so here they are. We'll compare in 3 months.

cphafner
08-30-2009, 05:00 PM
last few

joey54
08-30-2009, 07:08 PM
Good plan with the diet.

Clifford Gillmore
08-31-2009, 12:00 AM
Looking good con, whats your weight/goal weight at the moment?

cphafner
08-31-2009, 10:11 PM
Joey: Thanks man. I felt like challenging myself this fall, but needed some help to stay on course.

Risk: Thanks dude. Weight is 180 in the dot. Goal is 195 w/same bf.

DC Lower B:
Cybex Preacher: 140*10 (+5, -1 rep)
->failed the rep range. Will stay here next time and try to get more reps. This was heavy.

Wrist Curls: 70*14 (same, +2 reps)
->reps were cleaner and easier this time. Will bump the weight.

Seated Calf: 77.5*9 (+2.5, same)
->damn these hurt.

Sumo Leg Press: 3pps+25ps*42 (+20, +2 reps)
->will keep bumping. Might make a pretty sizeable jump next time to get lower reps. Maybe 4pps.

Front Squats: 155*6, 135*8->back squats 20*135
->damn squat rack has been broken for over a week. Did these in a smith machine that is also broken, but I could put in bar in there. My shoulder was bothering me on the 135 set, so I racked and cranked out some rear squats just to tire. I might do front squats for a "heavy" set and then do back squats for a widowmaker.

Notes: Weight was 180. Got my week 1 plan from Shelby. Lower cals than I expected, but he is using this week to base off of. Will make weekly changes as needed. Nothing crazy. Won't go into details since it's not right to give away his info. I will say he has a very cheap ebook on Elite FTS that is a very good basis on what he does. Only $15 or 20 and well worth it if you like carb cycles.

Coke
09-01-2009, 10:45 AM
Good deal on working with dude...seeing you get into the 190s alone would be a nice accomplishment.

cphafner
09-02-2009, 09:30 PM
Terry: Thanks man. Hoping for some good changes over the next few months.

DC Upper B:
HS Press: 3pps*8 (+10, -3 reps)
->damn this sucked. Guess I'll be here again next time.

Strive Shoulder Press: 150*12 (+10, -2 reps)
->I got 12 between the first 2 sets, then couldn't get the damn stack moving for the 3rd set. Oh well.

Reverse Grip Smith Bench: 225*18 (+10, same)
->finally a decent set

Nautilus Pulldown: 190*22 (+5, +2 reps)

HS Iso Row: 4pps+25ps*10 (+50, -4 reps), 3pps+25ps*12
->someone was on here doing 3+25ps, so I just threw and extra plate on each side. Didn't plan on going this heavy, but wanted to make up for the crappy pressing.

Notes: Weight was 180. I'm pissed at my self, I missed a post workout shake, so I fell about 300 calories short today, stupid me. I miscalculated the cals that Shelby wanted me to eat. I didn't take into account the fact that oats have protein and fat, protein powder has carbs and fat, etc. I am about 3500 on non workout and 3800 on workout days. Right about where I told him I needed to be. We're going to adjust weekly depending on the results. Really pissed I misread his email and missed that one shake! Ahhh.

cphafner
09-06-2009, 08:20 AM
DC Lower C:
Drag Curls: 105*16 (+5, -3 reps)
->I don't feel these in my biceps. Might tape them next time to check form.

DB Hammer: 65*5->50*8
->so the jump from 60->65 was too much.

Standing Calf: 300*10 (+15, -1 rep)

Pull Thru: (+10, same)

Squat Press: 7+10*9 (+20, -1 rep), 5+25*14
->wasn't feeling well at the end of this workout. Affected these 2 sets.

Notes: Went to a wedding yesterday. Think I did a good job staying on my diet. Not one cute single girl there! What a wate. :tuttut:

Coke
09-07-2009, 07:54 AM
Looks fine man, props on striving to be so on point with the diet.

cphafner
09-07-2009, 01:36 PM
Smith Incline: 250*12 (+5, +1 rep)
->tough, but good.

DB Press: 70*27
->called an audible here. Just can't see progressing with lat raises

Close Grip: 240*12 (+5, -4reps)
->Triceps were more taxed than normal due to the shoulder presses.

Rack Pullups: 75*24 (+5, same)
->didn't remember what I did for reps last time, so pleasantly surprised that I got the same reps with the added weight.

Rack Pulls: 365*12, 365*10
->I loaded 405 on the bar (did 385 last time), but my back was bugging me, so I dropped down to 365 and did 2 sets since I was pretty high with the reps.

Notes: Weight was 182 this morning. 181 after my workout. Up about a 1-1.5lbs since last week. Good first week with Shelby. I took a vid of the rack pulls, but the angle sucked, so probably won't post it. Also taking some new photos tonight for Shelby, but won't post them since not much change. Maybe in another couple weeks I'll post some progress pics.

joey54
09-07-2009, 01:46 PM
Good pressing and way to be smart about the rack deads.

cphafner
09-09-2009, 08:29 PM
Joey: Thanks man.

DC Lower A:
DB Curls: 55*16 (same, +1)

Hammers: 60*7->45*6
->these were supposed to be pins, opps.

Leg Press Calf: 2pps+35ps*8
->hard, hard, hard

Seated Leg Curl: 180*21 (+10, -7 reps)
->thought I'd get more here, no big deal.

Leg Press: 6pps+10ps*8 (+20, +1 rep), 4pps+15ps*18 (+10, +1 rep)
->my old w/o partner Ben "spotted" me on these. He said the first set was some deep leg presses. I couldn't help it. The sled is so step that it picks up steam at the bottom. Just glad I got out of the whole.

Notes: Pretty good workout. I had about a 15 min break between the leg curl and presses. Someone was on the press, so when Ben showed I spotted him on bench. He was bitching about how much strength he has lost, and then pops out 315 or I think 8. Damn him.

Sent Shelby my week 1 update. He was happy w/progress. He said I filled out and didn't gain fat, so no changes. Here is one quick pick. I think this is my best back double bicep since I leaned out for my contest. Still a long long way to go!

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x35/cphafner/End%20week%201/reardoublebicep.jpg

galileo
09-09-2009, 08:31 PM
You're doing things I haven't even heard of in here. What the ****?

cphafner
09-09-2009, 08:33 PM
You're doing things I haven't even heard of in here. What the ****?

Like what? Eating and working out? :moon:

galileo
09-09-2009, 08:35 PM
Like what? Eating and working out? :moon:

*Precisely*

Unholy
09-09-2009, 08:42 PM
Nice work CP, keep this ish up. I got a trainer too =)

DGabe24
09-09-2009, 09:17 PM
Looking awesome man!!

Big arms...and I'm sure the progress won't stop anytime soon with Shelby...he's one of the best out there.

Clifford Gillmore
09-09-2009, 09:38 PM
Looking wide Con, good job.

Sidior
09-10-2009, 09:11 AM
Looking wide!

joey54
09-10-2009, 03:33 PM
Shoulders are looking massive.

Coke
09-11-2009, 03:10 PM
Impressive back double bicep shot!!

cphafner
09-11-2009, 10:08 PM
Terry-Joey-Sid-Gabe-Risk-Paul: Thanks guys. Going to keep plugging. Excited to see how things progress over the next 3 months.

DC Upper B:
Decline Bench: 240*14 (+5, same reps)
->still no trustworthy spotters around. I would guess I can get about 10-15lbs more for the same reps, or the same weight, for about 17 reps with a spotter. Afraid of getting pinned.

HS Shoulder Press: 2pps+40ps*11/10 (+10, -2reps)
->was dead by the 3rd set. Only get 1/1.5 reps out

Dips: +85*22 (+5, same)
->started out strong. I think I had 12 reps on the 1st set, but then hit a wall.

Pulldowns: 200*16 (same, +2 reps)
->bit of body english on these. Tried to focus on getting a good negative more than the actual pull portion.

Strive Row Machine: 200*8 (+10, -4 reps)

Notes: Weight was 179...not liking the drop. Still 4 more days before I report back to Shelby, so we'll see what happens.

galileo
09-12-2009, 04:33 PM
What turned you toward this high rep thing?

cphafner
09-14-2009, 08:12 PM
What turned you toward this high rep thing?

They are rest paused aka DC training. They are really three sets with a short rest in between each, but count as one set in the DC world.

Notes: So my keyboard is all f'ed up and I can't type numbers, so can't update today's workout. Went pretty well. Kept progressing. Need to send Shelby an update tomorrow. Really freaking hungry the past couple days. I just ate, and I'm already hungry again. I'll check weight tomorrow, but so far this week there was no gain. Here is one picture for this week.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x35/cphafner/siderelaxed2.jpg

DGabe24
09-14-2009, 08:34 PM
Best I've seen you look man, keep up the hard work!

cphafner
09-15-2009, 07:35 PM
Gabe: Thanks man.

Did any of you guys start "tracking" my albums of photobucket? Someone with a name I didn't recognize started tracking me. Kinda creeps me outs if it's not one of you guys that read my journal regularly. If it was one of you please let me know, otherwise I'll be making my albums private so just Shelby and I can view them. Thanks.

cphafner
09-16-2009, 08:05 PM
Still can't use the numbers on my keyboard, so no workout update. I had a so-so workout tonight. I am struggling with progressing on HS chest. I have hit a wall at three plates per side. Going to drop a bit and up the reps and work my way back down. Did Iso rows with four plates and a thirty five per side for seven. A little sloppy and a little too heavy. Tons of cute girls at the gym. I may have been the only straight guy at the gym tonight. I should have taken advantage. One new girl I have never seen went into the yoga class. I'll have to keep an eye out for her again. One of the regular girls is pretty cute and I caught her looking at me quite a bit.

DGabe24
09-16-2009, 09:12 PM
Wasnt me following your pics, didn't even try. Should just make em private, to avoid anymore secret admirers imo.

Please capitalize next time, dont let me down :p

cphafner
09-19-2009, 10:49 AM
Gabe: The gyms in NYC are weird. You'll see a cute girl once and then never see her again. Can't build any kind of rapport.

So since my numbers bar is still messed up I'm not going to write out my workout. It would take me an hour. Instead I brought my camera and grabbed videos of my drag curlsl, RLDLS (swapped for pull thrus), and squat press machine. Guess I didn't have the camera on for my hammers. No good place to put it during my calf raises. One thing I noticed is I'm resting for fifteen deep breaths, but the break is taking me almost fourty five seconds. Also I just read a thread on IM that widow makers should be done with no lockouts. Maybe something I should change.

Shelby made some tweaks to my diet. Won't get into specifics, but about five hundred more calls a day.

blqgien5Izo

3dSZ70XqQaA

iNqxDjdGECQ

UdxNRvKJsb8

qQ2iL6t1yck

This last video isn't me obviously. I've been waking up in the middle of the night to drink a shake, and I'm pretty sure it looks like this. When I wake up the next morning and find protein all over the place on the floor on my dresser. I find my shaker in the bathroom sometimes. Who the hell knows what I am doing half asleep at four in the morning.

B9_NOEZRak4

Coke
09-19-2009, 01:33 PM
Showing great form in the new vids bro, props.

Clifford Gillmore
09-19-2009, 01:46 PM
LMAO at the step brothers clip. I didn't expect much when I went to watch it, it ended up being quite funny.