PDA

View Full Version : No squat rack for 5 weeks...

Painzer
01-04-2009, 04:46 PM
So I'm in Florida for the next 5 weeks and the only place I can workout is Planet Fitness. This place is a joke. There is no squat rack, only 3 smith machines.

I was doing Starr's intermediate 5 x 5... but now I don't have a squat rack. I don't mind changing up my workout for 5 weeks but not being able to squat??

Is there anything I can do to substitute? They do have free bars that I suppose I could set up with 135 or so and clean and press it back onto my shoulders and squat it without a rack... but I won't be getting a proper set up that way...

Any suggestions of things I can do in lieu of squats?? I know nothing can replace squats, but I really need some type of supplement.

Lones Green
01-04-2009, 04:53 PM
Deads!

Dkalban
01-04-2009, 04:55 PM
Deads!

He's at a Planet Fitness, the Hell of all corporate, surburban yuppie, gyms. They dont allow any real lifts that disturb the curl jockies or theyll set of their holy Lunk Alarm.

Painzer
01-04-2009, 04:56 PM
Yeah, I already do those as well... maybe I'll bump those to 2 times a week instead of just once...

I'm trying to avoid exhausting my body while I'm down here too... I'm at Professional Umpire school, so we do a lot of standing and running during our field work, and I don't want to kill my lower body.

Painzer
01-04-2009, 04:57 PM
He's at a Planet Fitness, the Hell of all corporate, surburban yuppie, gyms. They dont allow any real lifts that disturb the curl jockies or theyll set of their holy Lunk Alarm.

Actually pretty strange. I did deads today, and there were 2 other people doing them as well. I just won't drop the weight and I should be fine.

Dkalban
01-04-2009, 04:58 PM
Actually pretty strange. I did deads today, and there were 2 other people doing them as well. I just won't drop the weight and I should be fine.

Wow, Florida really has really become laid back since 2000, or even the last time I was there, which was when I was 7.

joey54
01-04-2009, 04:58 PM
barbell hack squats.

Painzer
01-04-2009, 05:00 PM
Using the Smith?

Dkalban
01-04-2009, 05:01 PM
No, i believe its using a normal barbell, but instead of putting it on your shoulders, you dangle it in front of your knees, and then you squat.

Painzer
01-04-2009, 05:09 PM
No, i believe its using a normal barbell, but instead of putting it on your shoulders, you dangle it in front of your knees, and then you squat.

Actually it's in back of your knees...

geoffsherman
01-04-2009, 05:10 PM
The barbell hack squat is behind your knees, not in front. Lets try a different tact, what equipment do they have at that gym?

Notorious
01-04-2009, 05:53 PM
There's nowhere else to workout? Not even a YMCA or community rec center? Check the phone book.

Jorge Sanchez
01-04-2009, 05:58 PM
Hack squats, lunges, (bulgarian) split squats, step ups, etc.

vdizenzo
01-04-2009, 06:04 PM
Where in Florida are you. I found around twenty pl friendly gyms on www.powerliftingwatch.com in about a minute.

Painzer
01-04-2009, 06:46 PM
The barbell hack squat is behind your knees, not in front. Lets try a different tact, what equipment do they have at that gym?

They've got olympic bars, all types of benches, but no high racks. The highest rack is a bench rack. 3 Smith Machines, 2 leg press machines.

All the other machines are ridiculous, neck machines, ab machines, etc.

There's nowhere else to workout? Not even a YMCA or community rec center? Check the phone book.

Yes there are. But no where that really makes it affordable for us while we're down here for 5 weeks. Gold's gym wants $65 and the YMCA will charge a daily rate...

Where in Florida are you. I found around twenty pl friendly gyms on www.powerliftingwatch.com in about a minute.

I'm in Daytona Beach. Yes there are other gyms around, but like I said, no one that makes it affordable for us while I'm down here...

Painzer
01-04-2009, 06:51 PM
Actually Vinny, thanks for the link, I found one in the area... I'll call them tomorrow and see if they can give me a decent deal on 5 weeks...

vdizenzo
01-04-2009, 06:52 PM
Plwatch has this gym listed Phoenix Gym phone number (386) 258-9333 as pl friendly. You should at least call. I don't pretend to know the finances of others, but a good gym is a worthwhile investment in your body for 5 weeks.

Notorious
01-04-2009, 06:59 PM
Gold's gym wants $65 and the YMCA will charge a daily rate...

That's not bad actually. Gyms around here are more than that for only a month. Can you get a group membership or something? Have you tried bargaining with them?

Painzer
01-04-2009, 07:08 PM
Plwatch has this gym listed Phoenix Gym phone number (386) 258-9333 as pl friendly. You should at least call. I don't pretend to know the finances of others, but a good gym is a worthwhile investment in your body for 5 weeks.

Yeah, that's the one I found... I'll call them tomorrow and see what I can find out. They weren't on the normal google search, so thanks for the link.

Andre518
01-05-2009, 11:10 AM
Painzer im in the same boat i currently workout at PF and there is not squat rack so what I do is drop the seat all the way down on the incline bench and rack it off of that. It was killer on my lower back at 1st but now Im good up to 400lbs anything over that my partner gives me a lift off. I will be going to Golds soon but until then I do what I gotta do.

TKisner
01-05-2009, 11:16 AM
Sumo deads?

brihead301
01-05-2009, 12:02 PM
Maybe front squats too. Whatever you can clean would be how much you could use.

roots
01-05-2009, 12:12 PM
how much does golds gym usually charge per day? I was in naples florida over the holidays and the golds gym there just let me workout for free for the 2 weeks lol. and it was the best gym i've been to so far.

Reko
01-05-2009, 12:32 PM
I would love to set that lunk alarm off....
Do it the last day you are training!!

Painzer
01-05-2009, 05:22 PM
Actually that PL gym that Vinny found for me is down the street and they charge $25 for a month's membership. Perfect.

PS. Stopped by the Gold's down the street. THEY don't even have a squat rack... how dumb.

Szust
01-05-2009, 10:12 PM
Actually that PL gym that Vinny found for me is down the street and they charge $25 for a month's membership. Perfect.

PS. Stopped by the Gold's down the street. THEY don't even have a squat rack... how dumb.

Hot dang, $25 a month? Porkys down here in Miami charges $35 and they only have one power rack. I need to find a sweet PL gym. Now that you mention it, while on vacation some yuppie gym in Amelia island wanted to charge me $15 for a day. Yeah right.