PDA

View Full Version : Me and my Wolf (picture)

mastermonster
01-04-2009, 11:40 PM
Here's a picture of me and the REAL muscle in the family! My hybrid wolf, Damon! About 2004. He was about a year and a half old then and about 115 lbs. He's about 140ish now!

http://www.putfile.com/pic/4035476

azma
01-05-2009, 02:05 AM
that's awesome.

AKMass
01-05-2009, 05:46 AM
Agreed...Is he ever aggressive?

ZenMonkey
01-05-2009, 08:32 AM
WHats the other breed its mixed with?

mattburns
01-05-2009, 10:35 AM
That dog is mint!

Was he specially bred? I bet he cost a fortune.

brihead301
01-05-2009, 11:03 AM
You have a f***ing wolf???!!! That's awesome!

Ryan Celli
01-05-2009, 11:53 AM
Nice dog!

youngguns
01-05-2009, 01:49 PM
beautiful dog, thats ****ing cool.

mastermonster
01-05-2009, 10:42 PM
Agreed...Is he ever aggressive?

He's definately the Alpha of all of our 6 dogs, none of them challenge him; but with people he's a big baby that loves petting!

mastermonster
01-05-2009, 10:45 PM
WHats the other breed its mixed with?

He's 1/2 Timber Wolf and 1/2 Malamute (which also has wolf in that bloodline).

mastermonster
01-05-2009, 10:50 PM
That dog is mint!

Was he specially bred? I bet he cost a fortune.

My Stepson bought him for us. I never asked him how much he paid.

I just know that the people he bought him from have the Wolf and Mal, and breed them to sell. He was about 8 weeks old when he bought him.

mastermonster
01-05-2009, 10:59 PM
Thanks everybody! He's cool as **** to hear howl! (He doesn't bark) When he hears a siren he starts howling and all of the other dogs have now learned to howl. Even our Pit Bull and our Toy Fox Terrier...but the Terrier's howl sounds more like he's gargling! Damon's hearing is incredible! He's always the 1st one to hear a siren and start howling. Then several seconds later the other dogs hear it and start. Then several seconds later we'll hear it!

Jorge Sanchez
01-06-2009, 08:45 AM
Cool dog/wolf (wog? dolf?). My dog howls at sirens, as well. I doubt he's got much wolf left in him, though.

mastermonster
01-06-2009, 10:24 PM
Cool dog/wolf (wog? dolf?). My dog howls at sirens, as well. I doubt he's got much wolf left in him, though.

They all have the wolf as a common ancestor...even poodles...although that's hard to believe! LOL!

Seriously though Damon has never barked as long as we've had him. You can get him 'talkin' to you by kinda' howling quiet at him and he'll howl back quiet at you like he's talking to you as long as you'll stand there doing it. People get a kick out of it.

Jorge Sanchez
01-07-2009, 08:24 AM
They all have the wolf as a common ancestor...even poodles...although that's hard to believe! LOL!

Seriously though Damon has never barked as long as we've had him. You can get him 'talkin' to you by kinda' howling quiet at him and he'll howl back quiet at you like he's talking to you as long as you'll stand there doing it. People get a kick out of it.

My dog does the talking, as well.

I know they all come from wolves, that's why I said he doesn't have much left in him - but who knows, maybe he's more wolf than I realize.

ZenMonkey
01-07-2009, 09:08 AM
He's 1/2 Timber Wolf and 1/2 Malamute (which also has wolf in that bloodline).

Cool man, I used to own a malamute when I lived in the Mtns. His name was Bear.

I now own 2 chows- wolf descent.

T FLEX
01-07-2009, 09:14 AM
That's cool that your dog is not aggressive. Growing up our neighbors had a dog that was part wolf and something else. It however was not as laid back as yours. When it would get loose we would go back inside the house. I think it liked to play more than anything but was a little aggressive while it did it. It was a HUGE dog too, very tall. It liked to jump up on you and I think that was the problem a lot of the times. After the dog jumped up on the mailman and ripped his uniform (claws), most likely unintentional, they finally got rid of it. Made playing outside a lot more enjoyable.

mastermonster
01-08-2009, 12:05 AM
That's cool that your dog is not aggressive. Growing up our neighbors had a dog that was part wolf and something else. It however was not as laid back as yours. When it would get loose we would go back inside the house. I think it liked to play more than anything but was a little aggressive while it did it. It was a HUGE dog too, very tall. It liked to jump up on you and I think that was the problem a lot of the times. After the dog jumped up on the mailman and ripped his uniform (claws), most likely unintentional, they finally got rid of it. Made playing outside a lot more enjoyable.

I'd heard that the wolf hybrids could be agressive. But we got lucky I guess with Damon. Same with our year old Pit. She's real hyper, but a big loving baby! I think a lot depends on how the owner treats the big breed as to how their aggressive nature comes out. I think most of them could be made mean if they have been raised wrong...kinda like kids!

fpr
01-08-2009, 07:47 PM
Cool, now that you have a wolf, you just need a manbearpig.

mastermonster
01-08-2009, 11:08 PM

Huh?:confused:

Mad Max
01-10-2009, 12:57 PM
What a cute animal!!! The Wolf's pretty sweet too.

BFGUITAR
01-10-2009, 03:17 PM
That's awesome! It would be awesome to own one. Does it need special training?

Big Jay
01-10-2009, 04:21 PM
awesome pet!
do you just feed it normal dog food or what?

Al Gore's trying to get a bill put through to ban them as pets.

mastermonster
01-11-2009, 01:18 AM
That's awesome! It would be awesome to own one. Does it need special training?

No; we just pet him and play with him when we can, and make sure he has a big chew bone (rawhide type) to chew on. We've got a pretty big fenced in back yard so he and the 'pack' (our other dogs) have a lot of room to run and chase each other and get plenty of exercise. They do need space. He's got close to 1/2 acre.

mastermonster
01-11-2009, 01:28 AM
awesome pet!
do you just feed it normal dog food or what?

Al Gore's trying to get a bill put through to ban them as pets.

Yeah he eats pretty much any dog food our dogs eat. We rotate brands and types regularly as they will get bored with the same stuff all the time. We use Gravy Train, Kibbles and Bits, Alpo, and Meet Tenders (their favorite).

I think we should ban Al Gore and his politician croanies and leave the **** animals alone. :moon:

Dkalban
01-11-2009, 06:18 AM
theyre referencing a south park episode involving a caricture (sp?) of Al Gore.

mastermonster
01-11-2009, 11:17 PM
theyre referencing a south park episode involving a caricture (sp?) of Al Gore.

I'm afraid I'm South Park ignorant by choice. I watched one very offensive episode and never watched it again. Sorry!

Mad Max
01-12-2009, 02:49 AM
Does he get along with your cat? Also how loyal is he?

Mercuryblade
01-17-2009, 12:34 AM
He's definately the Alpha of all of our 6 dogs, none of them challenge him; but with people he's a big baby that loves petting! ... Same with our year old Pit. She's real hyper, but a big loving baby! I think a lot depends on how the owner treats the big breed as to how their aggressive nature comes out.

6 dogs? That sounds like heaven to me (and my gf too). We are currently in rental properties so we only have two (we each keep a dog at our place).
This is the closest to owning a wolf I will ever get http://www.flickr.com/photos/mercury01818/3039619094/
We rescued her in November, she is a wild dog from Kentucky, they call them Carolina Dogs or American Dingos.

Not trying to get preachy on you or anything, and you probably already know this, but be careful with your pit bull and your other dogs. They are awesome (and beautiful) dogs , but you can't forget what they were bred for, and that was dog fighting. A well socialized and well trained pit bull will play just fine with other dogs 99% of the time, but make sure you are there to step in if things ever escalate. http://www.badrap.org/rescue/multidogs.cfm A good resource for owning a pit.
Not trying to be a buzzkill, but I have a soft spot for pits, and always try to keep people informed.

Torrok
01-19-2009, 07:20 PM
holy crap i want one O_O

mastermonster
01-20-2009, 12:07 AM
Does he get along with your cat? Also how loyal is he?

When we do bring him in the cat usually heads for the basement. But he's been in the same room briefly a few times and never went after her. The Pit and the cat have made a game out of plying chase and the cat will actually tease the Pit into chasing her to her cat door to the basement. I hope it stays a game!

Damon loves petting and is loyal to whoever braves up and will give him attention. He's never acted agressive to anyone.

Susie, the Pit/Rot mix (we believe); is loyal/friendly to only who's around and feeding her. She's real cautious of anyone else.

mastermonster
01-20-2009, 12:12 AM
6 dogs? That sounds like heaven to me (and my gf too). We are currently in rental properties so we only have two (we each keep a dog at our place).
This is the closest to owning a wolf I will ever get http://www.flickr.com/photos/mercury01818/3039619094/
We rescued her in November, she is a wild dog from Kentucky, they call them Carolina Dogs or American Dingos.

Not trying to get preachy on you or anything, and you probably already know this, but be careful with your pit bull and your other dogs. They are awesome (and beautiful) dogs , but you can't forget what they were bred for, and that was dog fighting. A well socialized and well trained pit bull will play just fine with other dogs 99% of the time, but make sure you are there to step in if things ever escalate. http://www.badrap.org/rescue/multidogs.cfm A good resource for owning a pit.
Not trying to be a buzzkill, but I have a soft spot for pits, and always try to keep people informed.

Wow! Scout does look like a Dingo! He's got friendly eyes.

Thanks for the link on the pits and the advice. I put it in my favorites to show my wife tomarrow. You can never be too informed!

mastermonster
01-20-2009, 12:20 AM
holy crap i want one O_O

When you take him for a walk, he's one he** of a conversation piece! He gets a lot of attention. When we take him to the vets office for vacs. he's definately the show stealer! When someone ask what breed is he and I say he's a Hybrid Wolf, we get all kinds of different reactions. It's kinda' cool!

def
01-20-2009, 04:34 AM
the link doesn't work.

Mercuryblade
01-20-2009, 02:44 PM
Wow! Scout does look like a Dingo! He's got friendly eyes.

Thanks for the link on the pits and the advice. I put it in my favorites to show my wife tomarrow. You can never be too informed!

No problem. I've been looking into adopting a pit for awhile, and I've come across a lot of great resources.

PS
You should put a pic of the whole 6 dog family in the thread.