PDA

View Full Version : Packing a lunch..

Altephor
01-05-2009, 08:10 PM
I am trying to revamp my diet to start eating super clean, while bulking, and also keep costs down. The reason for the super clean is my cholesterol is 206 and my triglycerides are 163. Sounds impossible but that's where you experts come in. Part of this is starting to pack my lunch rather than buying it while I'm at school (grad school). So far this is what I got:

Breakfast (9:00 am): Bowl of cheerios in a cup of 1% milk. 1 Banana.

Lunch (noon): Sandwich (turkey/ham/etc, american cheese on white bread with horseradish mustard), apple, add something please

Mid-day/pre-workout (3:00 pm): Protein bar, need alternatives here

Dinner (6:00 pm): Chicken breast, peas or rice/brocoli (those $2 green giant frozen stuff), glass of 1% milk

Dinner 2 (9:00 pm): Currently just a snack, needs to change.

Pre-Bed (Midnight): Protein Shake in 1% milk

So you can see it needs work. Right now my biggest issue is classes. Monday for instance I get screwed up because my dinner/post-workout is right before class, so I need something I can pack. I suppose I could make chicken and refridge it though, same with rice or something.

Mainly I need something for the times I am at school (i.e. lunch, pre-workout, and dinner) that is easily prepared and transported, decent for protein, and not so large that I'm going to be lugging 8 tupperware to campus each day. Protein shakes during the day are OUT, they upset my stomach which is not pleasant during a 3-hour lecture. Protein bars are expensive so I don't like to eat them non-gym days, so alternatives for the mid-day would really help as well.

I was thinking of adding some yogurt to breakfast since I could eat it while driving on the way to campus, but I'm not sure what the good stuff is.

Altephor
01-05-2009, 08:47 PM
Perhaps it would be prudent to add my schedule as well. At least as far as when I work out and go to class.

Monday:
WO 3pm - 4pm
Class 6pm-9pm

Tuesday:
No WO
Class 1:40pm-6pm (10-15 min breaks at ~3pm and 5pm)

Wed:
TA 12:15pm-3:20pm
WO 3:30pm-4:30pm

Thurs:
TA 12:15pm-3:20pm
No WO
Class 5:30-9:30 (10-15 min break somewhere between 7pm and 8pm)

Fri:
WO 2pm-3pm

Ideally, I'd like to get enough food options to create 3-5 different daily plans that I can just switch up throughout the week.

RhodeHouse
01-06-2009, 06:43 AM
Dude,

Honestly, don't sweat your cholesterol and triglycerides. Definately try to clean the crap out, but don't go super clean. Be smart about your food choices.

I've had the high cholesterol talk as well. In 6 months I solved my problems. Here's what worked for me:

Oatmeal everyday
Fish Oils 3g/3x a day
Cut out suger and fried food
Cardio

Smarter choices will allow you to still eat good foods that you enjoy without having to completely change your diet plan. Changing your plan is fine, but it's very hard to stick to it if you don't enjoy it.

Lunch - add another sandwich
Pre-workout - carbs. Oatmeal, pasta, and make sure you get a little protein as well
Dinner 2 - have 2 sandwiches, eggs - just make it another cheap, easy meal, or, take stuff fro mthe dining hall like I did.

Altephor
01-06-2009, 08:04 AM
I'm trying to skip the dining hall since it's so damn expensive. I'm a grad student so I don't have a meal plan or anything, and the prices are ridiculous.

HATETANK
01-09-2009, 11:35 AM
I boil up about four lbs of chicken every few nights and use it for my lunches. Put a dash of soy + sesame oil in it for the chicken I pack with brown rice, then soak a little "el pato" into the other stuff that I pack a few tortillas with. Gives you a good way to get some good eats in during the day.

I put a little sprinkle of splenda over my brown rice and chicken, seems to make it really tasty... just my thing.