PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Callous Repair?

RHarris
01-06-2009, 10:27 AM
So far I've been lucky and never had a really serious callous tear, but I've seen it often enough, especially among the heavy pullers. Anyone out there have "favorite" repair methods? Something that's worked well for you in the past either as a quick fix to get through a meet or workout or for a full heal-up?

Thanks,
Robert Harris
Las Vegas, NV

Ben Moore
01-06-2009, 10:36 AM
In a meet - depending on severity - superglue or chalk the hell out of it. Outside of a meet - put some tape over it.

Reko
01-06-2009, 11:08 AM
I've done the tape before in training. In a meet not much you can do I don't think. In SM I've torn callouses on farmers/frame walks just about every time I've done them, and just did my best to wrap/tape them but it ususally comes off in the next event (in that case it was stones).
Prevention seems to be the key here, or at least I am told by the vets who no longer let that happen to them :P

Tom Mutaffis
01-06-2009, 11:09 AM
In a meet - depending on severity - superglue or chalk the hell out of it. Outside of a meet - put some tape over it.

X2 on the Superglue. I have used that before at strongman comps and then covered it with some athletic tape and finished the event.

Next time I'm wearing gloves! (just kidding :) )

Sensei
01-06-2009, 12:34 PM
A callous shaver is your best friend. Seriously. Prevention is key and letting your callouses build up too thick is just asking for trouble. Some things it might not matter, but having too much excess skin is going to make things worse when they go wrong.

collin44
01-06-2009, 12:48 PM
I put New Skin on the open wound and then superglue the tear back down. Once the superglue comes loose, just take nail clippers and clip off the old callous and the skin under should be fine.

ZenMonkey
01-06-2009, 01:11 PM

This^^

TheVrolok
01-06-2009, 03:25 PM
A callous shaver is your best friend. Seriously. Prevention is key and letting your callouses build up too thick is just asking for trouble. Some things it might not matter, but having too much excess skin is going to make things worse when they go wrong.

This. Whenever my blade razor gets too dull for my face, I use it to shave/wear down my callouses. Works wonderful. Although if I do tear one open, I just use some dermabond (which is essentially medical superglue).

Dave Schwab
01-10-2009, 06:44 PM
This. Whenever my blade razor gets too dull for my face, I use it to shave/wear down my callouses. Works wonderful. Although if I do tear one open, I just use some dermabond (which is essentially medical superglue).

I do the exact same thing. I shave my callouses down every 2-3 weeks with a razor. I used to have a lot of problems with tearing them, but since I've started this almost a year ago I've not had a single issue.

GerSmith
01-11-2009, 05:05 AM
Sensei is right. Try prevent it if you can by filing it down using some sort of shaver or nail file. works wonders.

SGT ROCK
01-11-2009, 06:36 AM
So far I've been lucky and never had a really serious callous tear, but I've seen it often enough, especially among the heavy pullers. Anyone out there have "favorite" repair methods? Something that's worked well for you in the past either as a quick fix to get through a meet or workout or for a full heal-up?

Thanks,
Robert Harris
Las Vegas, NV

Could this inquiry be triggered by the fact that you saw me rip one third of my hand off last week bro lol?! By the way I cut all of the remaining skin off with scissors, and one week later im ready to rock and roll! See you this afternoon for another marathon DL session, wait til you see what I have in store for us today.

Semper Fi

Fuzzy
01-11-2009, 10:37 AM

Great post.

I use a cheap 2 blade razor and go over my callouses in a criss cross, they excess skin just falls off, then I go over it with a pumice stone and then use a good moisturiser.

Ofcourse, even if you do all you can, sometimes **** happens, so tape up!

RHarris
01-11-2009, 11:21 AM
Could this inquiry be triggered by the fact that you saw me rip one third of my hand off last week bro lol?! By the way I cut all of the remaining skin off with scissors, and one week later im ready to rock and roll! See you this afternoon for another marathon DL session, wait til you see what I have in store for us today.

Semper Fi

LOL.. YEP! See you this afternoon and we'll rip some more. Weights and callouses!

RWH
Las Vegas, NV

Sensei
01-11-2009, 08:55 PM
Btw, here's what I use to shave down callouses. Yeah, I know, they're a little well, not "manly", but well worth it.

http://agkbeauty.com/prodimg/5050_CallusShaver.jpg

bill
01-12-2009, 08:27 AM
You could try skin prep, used medically. Toughens up the skin somewhat.