PDA

View Full Version : Some thoughts on this crossfit decision

huskybear
01-06-2009, 02:56 PM
Hey all...

A friend suggested I try some crossfit for GPP work as it has helped him tremendously...

I wanted to try the following:

push ups x 12 - bodyweight squats x12 - cardio 60 secs

2 circuits followed by 60 second rest, as many cycles as possible within 30 minutes...

My thought is changing the cardio to a dumbbell swing for 60 seconds - don't have access to kettlebells...

Will this be overly taxing to add in place of the cardio, meaning should I stick to some running/biking/rowing?

My personal goals are strength, I follow a powerlifting type template, which I've moved to a 3 day/week program, but need to do some more consistent cardio type stuff, and thought this would be a great compliment...

Thanks for the help folks!

Reko
01-06-2009, 03:19 PM
I think dragging a sled or pushing a prowler might be a good addition, maybe in stead of this or as part of it.

WillNoble
01-06-2009, 04:33 PM
Prowler is all you need, any doubts, go do about 10 sprints with it and see

teeroy
01-06-2009, 05:48 PM
Hm, hadn't heard of the prowler so I looked it up.

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/prowler.htm

Looks pretty interesting. I like how you an add weights to increase the difficulty.

I envision it squealing like fingernails on a blackboard when dragging it across the concrete, though. Is that the case?

Does it work as well on grass (like at the park) or does that make it too easy and defeat the purpose?

huskybear
01-07-2009, 02:52 PM
thanks guys... sled is looking more and more like what I've got to get...

I did this training, running on the treadmill for 60 seconds and just doing a cycle, resting a minute and going again... it killed!!!!! got 8 cycles done but mother of gawd I thought death was imminent... long time since I saw that shade of purple...

at any rate, thanks guys for the input... sled is going to have to be my next either build or purchase...

TKisner
01-07-2009, 04:21 PM
I was gonna say push your car, bit i'd imagine its pretty cold in canada right about now.

KarstenDD
01-08-2009, 10:06 AM
Does it work as well on grass (like at the park) or does that make it too easy and defeat the purpose?

Grass
concrete/asphalt
gravel

from hardest to easiest when dragging. I've never drug anything on concrete so I put it with asphalt.

Reko
01-08-2009, 10:14 AM
Grass
concrete/asphalt
gravel

from hardest to easiest when dragging. I've never drug anything on concrete so I put it with asphalt.

In terms of pushing a prowler:
concrete/cement is much harder/more difficult than asphalt.
I don't know if it is smoother or softer or what but its quieter and moves a lot easier I think.

Plus, if you go fast enough it makes sparks, and that is just awesome.

geoffsherman
01-08-2009, 11:43 AM
I would concur with Reko. One recommendation with pushing on grass though (especially if it has recently been wet) is to wear cleats. Otherwise, you will have a face full of grass at some point. Trust me on that one.

It does make a lot of noise when you push on concrete or asphalt, but the sparks are awesome. Push it at night and it is doubly awesome. I would just try and find some quiet parking lot and use that. It is what I have done and works well. Plus, you can use the space dividers to help measure out distances for sprints, suicides, etc.

benny
01-08-2009, 08:43 PM
I'm all about the CrossFit, but it isn't for everyone.

Cleans are good for cardio. Sandbag cleans are cheap and nasty. A couple of days ago I did a workout of 21-15-9 of 85# sandbag cleans and ring dips and it rocked my world.

One day soon I'm going to try to shoulder a sandbag 1/2 my weight and run a mile.

Kenny Croxdale
01-12-2009, 09:20 AM
Hey all...

A friend suggested I try some crossfit for GPP work as it has helped him tremendously...

I wanted to try the following:

push ups x 12 - bodyweight squats x12 - cardio 60 secs

2 circuits followed by 60 second rest, as many cycles as possible within 30 minutes...

My thought is changing the cardio to a dumbbell swing for 60 seconds - don't have access to kettlebells...

Will this be overly taxing to add in place of the cardio, meaning should I stick to some running/biking/rowing?

My personal goals are strength, I follow a powerlifting type template, which I've moved to a 3 day/week program, but need to do some more consistent cardio type stuff, and thought this would be a great compliment...

Thanks for the help folks!

Huskybear,

For the most part, your heart doesn't know or care of what you are doing when it comes to cardio. Thus, performing a circuit, dragging a sled, pushing a prowler or car, etc will work.

Some cardio does help with recover from strength training sessions. However, too much cardio depletes strength levels. So, it's a balancing act.

Experiment with it and see what works best.

Kenny Croxdale

Reko
01-12-2009, 01:02 PM
I'm all about the CrossFit, but it isn't for everyone.

Cleans are good for cardio. Sandbag cleans are cheap and nasty. A couple of days ago I did a workout of 21-15-9 of 85# sandbag cleans and ring dips and it rocked my world.

One day soon I'm going to try to shoulder a sandbag 1/2 my weight and run a mile.

Something I've always been curious about is where the CF program writes get their numbers from?
21-15-9 seems like an odd combination

benny
01-12-2009, 05:04 PM
Something I've always been curious about is where the CF program writes get their numbers from?
21-15-9 seems like an odd combination

I never have figured it out either, but it makes it easy to break down into 3 sets if the weight is heavy, ie. 7-7-7 5-5-5 3-3-3.

I also think it decreases because it is heavy enough weights that the 15 feels as hard as the 21, and the 9 feels about the same because you are more tired as you go.

That's just my guess.

huskybear
01-12-2009, 09:11 PM
Thanks for all the feedback folks... Kenny I know what you're saying with the balancing act LOL... hard to keep after the strength when you're wiped from the endurance stuff...

But I think that what I'm losing in the short term will be outweighed for me by the benefits of endurance... I need it for work, and I think that i can keep some relatively strong gains too, it will just take longer and require patience... which I'm good with right now... I think doing this twice a week for now will yield gains that will still allow recovery... we'll see how the balancing goes lol

I like the idea of even doing this session once a week and then getting a sled for additional work... we'll see

Tom Mutaffis
01-14-2009, 02:49 PM
Crossfit workouts are great for conditioning - the program that you laid out is a pretty simple complex and not really a "crossfit" workout. If you are interested you can take a look on pretty much any of the crossfit gym websites and they list their daily routines.

Sled dragging is great conditioning and there are some variations that you can do with that as well.

Why are you looking for the conditioning? Is it for a specific sport or just in general?

huskybear
01-14-2009, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the feedback Tom!

basically I need the conditioning for work... need to have some ability to chase after people...

I've been more interested in getting strong, but as I've gotten bigger and fatter, when I huff and puff too much at simple things like stairs, I know that I'm way to de-conditioned...

I found that long distance running did nothing but make me tired and mess with my weight training... a friend sent this too me along with another complex that he called a "crossfit" workout and said that it helped him get into better shape and his lifts also got stronger and recovery improved.

With this, I figured I had nothing to lose so gave it a go.... I have looked at some of the crossfit sites, but figured that this type of bodyweight stuff might be a better fit given my strength goals...

outside of the weight sessions in my journal, I always warm-up with Defranco's agile 8 and essential 6 movements, do the Diesel crew 2 min shoulder warm up, and then hit the weights... I think that this type of thing will help with my endurance/cardio, incidentally help me shed some weight because of the increased work load, but not have much of a negative impact on my training...

am I on the right path here?

in the summer I rely on mountain biking and touch football for my cardio... but really, my cardio gets neglected in general... and it really shouldn't for work's sake, but that's another story

hope this makes sense... suggestions welcome!