PDA

View Full Version : Metabolism

Whuditdew
01-06-2009, 03:36 PM
Is it possible that my metabolism is just too high to gain weight? All of my Uncles were extremely skinny until after they graduated high school, and I have been eating well above sustaining calories for four months now (and doing starting strength) with little increase in my weight.

malkore
01-06-2009, 04:38 PM
no. you can gain weight. you need to eat more.

obviously you are not eating more than your maintenance calorie intake....or you'd be gaining weight.

formulas to determine caloric needs are not perfect. they can be good to estimate a starting point, but we're all too unique for a simple formula based on age, weight, hieght and gender to truly work.

you'll have to list an exact day's food intake and calorie/macro counts, plus your age, height, weight, gender and how 'active' you are (do you do seated deskwork 40 hours a week...or are you a construction worker? the two jobs have radically different calorie needs) for us to give advice.

Whuditdew
01-06-2009, 09:28 PM
no. you can gain weight. you need to eat more.

obviously you are not eating more than your maintenance calorie intake....or you'd be gaining weight.

formulas to determine caloric needs are not perfect. they can be good to estimate a starting point, but we're all too unique for a simple formula based on age, weight, hieght and gender to truly work.

you'll have to list an exact day's food intake and calorie/macro counts, plus your age, height, weight, gender and how 'active' you are (do you do seated deskwork 40 hours a week...or are you a construction worker? the two jobs have radically different calorie needs) for us to give advice.

I ate 2800 calories a day all of December (600 above maintenance) and I only gained one pound.

I don't do any physical activity outside of lifting in the winter.

Also I had to constantly eat, which conflicted with my schedule when I had to eat so much.

Ben Moore
01-06-2009, 09:38 PM
So eat 3500 - 2800 is nothing btw...

jtrink
01-06-2009, 09:47 PM
lol dude, if u ate 2800 cals and only gained one pound, common sense would say if you ate more than 2800 you will potentially gain more weight. I have an extremely fast metabolism... I've been eating around 4000 cals daily. With the right amount of protein, hard work in the gym, and MASS amounts of food, YOU WILL GAIN WEIGHT. I've gained 12 pounds in 5 weeks so far, its very possible.

drink loads of milk and eat lots of PB

Unreal
01-07-2009, 09:04 AM
So you spent 4 months figuring out your maintence calories. Now up them 500-600 a day. It really is that simple.

Holto
01-07-2009, 09:52 AM
So you spent 4 months figuring out your maintenance calories.

This is actually a really good thing. Lots of young bb's don't have a clue what their maintenance is.

So, now you know, this knowledge is power.

Whuditdew
01-07-2009, 05:12 PM
Couple of problems I probably should have expanded on before. I have a ton of allergies which is part of the reason it is so hard to eat so much. I am allergic to PB, dairy, and gluten.

Also my maintenance calorie mark is 2200, I did up it by 600. You want me to go 600 more?

Unreal
01-07-2009, 05:14 PM
No it isn't. You found what it is the correct way, through tracking. Formulas don't work. Now that you know add 500-600 to that.

Notorious
01-07-2009, 05:50 PM
Couple of problems I probably should have expanded on before. I have a ton of allergies which is part of the reason it is so hard to eat so much. I am allergic to PB, dairy, and gluten.

Also my maintenance calorie mark is 2200, I did up it by 600. You want me to go 600 more?

If your maintenance calories were 2200, you would be gaining weight. You can't use a formula. If you're not gaining weight at 2800, that's your maintenance.

VikingWarlord
01-07-2009, 06:01 PM
You're right. The formula is dead on accurate. Your maintenance is 2200. It is impossible for you to gain weight. Just give up because you'll never make progress. The experienced people here giving you advice have no idea what they're talking about.

Holto
01-08-2009, 10:14 AM

You'll find a way. It can be done.

berfles
01-08-2009, 10:40 AM
Dude, read my threads. When I first started posting here I was eating around 3500 just to get up to 160lbs, and after that I stalled out. I'm now eating close to 6000 calories a day, which got me to where I am now. And don't say you have no appetite and it's hard to eat, because I am the exact same way and I still manage. I feel like garbage throughout the day and I don't like many of my favorite foods anymore, but it's what has to be done.

EDIT: Just saw about your allergies, but still. I'm sure there is something calorie dense out there that won't mess with you.

king8329
01-08-2009, 08:16 PM
Is it possible that my metabolism is just too high to gain weight? All of my Uncles were extremely skinny until after they graduated high school, and I have been eating well above sustaining calories for four months now (and doing starting strength) with little increase in my weight.

I had the same problem when I was a teen trying to gain weight (which Im assuming that u are, correct me if Im wrong) and it boiled down to a year of basically wasted workouts because I was following some Base theory on how many calories I needed and how I should train. I dont know your height or weight so I cant give you any numbers to work from but basically, if you want to gain 1lb per week, u need to consume 500 calories per day more than your body burns. (3500 calories=1lb.) As I said I dont know your exact weight and age but I can almost guarantee that 2800 cal a day is 2 low. Try upping that to about 3500 cal per day for about a month and see how that works. If still nothing, try 4000 the next month and so forth. Eventually you will get to know YOUR body and that is half the battle when it comes to bodybuilding. Make sure to get roughly 1.5 grams protein per lb of body weight and go from there. Compound exercises, low rep, heavy weight, should be your focus while training. Forget about any isolation exercises for a while. Hope that this helped. Feel free to PM me if you have any further questions.

AJ_H
01-09-2009, 09:32 AM

is it a lactose intolerance? can you eat yoghurt or eggs? also: beef, fish, toast, pork, pasta, spaghetti bologneise, shakes, jam, honey, desert, etc.

Whuditdew
01-09-2009, 09:06 PM
is it a lactose intolerance? can you eat yoghurt or eggs? also: beef, fish, toast, pork, pasta, spaghetti bologneise, shakes, jam, honey, desert, etc.

I seem to be fine unless it is straight up milk. I am fine with eggs. Beef - Yes. Fish - Yes. Toast - No. Pork - Yes. Pasta - No. Don't know what the next one is, and I can have deserts but I like to eat more healthy.

MVP
01-11-2009, 06:01 PM

We create our own metabolism.

A metabolism is simply the rate your body uses energy (also known as calories).