PDA

View Full Version : Measuring body fat

teeroy
01-06-2009, 05:54 PM
I'm working on getting rid of lots of evil body fat :ninja: and want to be able to track my progress but not sure how to. I've seen the regular body weight scales at the store (like Target) that say they can also calculate body fat but not sure if those work well or not. I don't see how they can distinguish someone who is 6'4" with lots of body fat vs. someone who is 6'4" and totally buffed with little body fat. Maybe they can, but I can't picture in my mind how they would be able to.

How do y'all determine your percentage body fat?

Jeremy Leonard
01-06-2009, 08:08 PM
The scales that say they can measure bodyfat can't its a load of BS. Go with calipers and get someone who knows how to use them. Also dont just go off of how much you weigh or BF% go off f how you think you look.

Mr. MAXX
02-05-2009, 07:26 PM
The scales are not accurate, but they will give you a general idea and will also track your progress. The silver pads on the scales send tiny electrical currents thru your body--it measures the % of bodyfat by determining the amount of resistance the electric currents face, which is the amount of fat on your body. More fat=more resistance.

vdizenzo
02-09-2009, 05:19 PM
Or you could simply just take body measurements monthly. It is a great way to track progress.

Tom Mutaffis
02-09-2009, 05:22 PM
Calipers are the most effective easy method for testing. The only true test of bodyfat would be doing a water displacement test and those are quite expensive to have done. The scales and electronic pulse machines are not very effective, especially at higher bodyweight.

Taking a picture of yourself in the mirror is a great way to track progress as well. Take a picture each week or maybe bi-weekly at the same time in the day and save them on your computer then look them over at the end of the month. As long as you are disciplined with your training / diet you will see noticable changes.

AJL11
02-11-2009, 12:06 PM
One question I have always had with the calipers is with the sum of the skinfolds and age. When you buy a pair of calipers, you will also receive a booklet explaining how to administer the test and it will also give you a BF % estimation table. I am sure each pair is a little different in regards to how many sites you test, and the %s. The booklet will have a table of skin fold sums on the left and then age w/ estimation of BF% on the right. The thing I do not understand is that say a 22 year old male and a 60 year old male with the same skin fold sum... will for some reason have a BF % differing by 2-3%. The older person will have the higher % of body fat just because of age??? I have never really understood this. Anyone know why?

To be honest I would def. just do the progress pics or circumference measurements, it will be easiest...