PDA

View Full Version : I want to gain some muscle mass, but don't want to blow up - diet help

b1982
01-07-2009, 12:13 PM
I'm 5'8", about 149lbs, with a fairly high metabolism. From high school until now (age 26), I've always been between 147lbs and 156lbs. I would like to get back to around 156 and perhaps more before I began to lean up again. Basically I'm trying to just eat more than I normally do, without too much regard to the quality of food I'm intaking...Here's my sample diet...someone please critique:

Breakfast:
- large bowl of cereal (honey bunches, cracklin oat bran) with soy milk and flax seed
- two special K strawberry waffles (the low fat/low calorie kind)

Mid morning:
- Granola bar
- Sandwich (whole weat bread, deli turkey meat, lettuce, very light layer of light mayo)
- Ritz crackers

Lunch:
- plate of whole wheat pasta with ground turkey sauce
- another granola bar
- more crackers

Afternoon/early evening (pre-lift)
- PBJs

Post-workout
- whey protein shake (50g) w/ water

Dinner
- Usually some rice+meat dinner (very large portion)

Night snack
- celery and ranch dip

do i need more???

Brad08
01-07-2009, 12:24 PM
do i need more???

Is the above enough to help you gain weight? If not, then yes, you need more.

Biggest flaw I see is (aside from your general goal of 'bulking' to a massive 156), very little protein.

Enjoy being scrawny.

Er, I mean "ripped."

Ben Moore
01-07-2009, 12:36 PM
Seriously - where is the protein?

Mercuryblade
01-07-2009, 01:54 PM
If you are anything like me, and you have a high metabolism and a small frame. You are going to have to "blow up" to gain any significant muscle. I'm used to getting a bit soft around the edges every winter. But if you are disciplined and have a good training regimen (and good knowledge of foods) losing the weight won't be diffuclt at all, especially given your metabolism.

My advice? Eat, eat, and eat some more. Make sure you are getting loads of protein, fat (from various sources, animal, healthy oils), good whole grain carbs with lots of fiber, plenty of vegetables, and fruit.

Stay away from flax, there is a substantial amount of research suggesting that flax seeds aren't good for your prostate.

NuclearArms
01-07-2009, 01:54 PM

Biggest flaw I see is (aside from your general goal of 'bulking' to a massive 156), very little protein.

Enjoy being scrawny.

Er, I mean "ripped."

Seiously i think you should have to take a ripptoe course before you are even aloud to think about a workout regiment or diet. I have only been on this site for a month and am already sick of the "i want to get bigger but stay smaller at the same time bull****" EAT LIFT AND STOP THINKING!!!

HP666
01-07-2009, 03:12 PM
I agree with a few post above, way too many carbs, and bad carbs at that. Eat good carbs, dead animals, a lot of them; then train your balls off and you will grow. Like Nuclear said - EAT LIFT AND STOP THINKING!!!

Here's a sample of how you should eat:

Meal 1 20 egg whites, 3 whole eggs, 1 cup oatmeal, 1 bagel, 1 glass orange juice, water and multivitamin.

Meal 2 8 oz. steak (top round) and 1.5 cups white rice.

Meal 3 8 oz. chicken and 1 cup brown rice.

Workout

Post Workout 1 serving Opticen

Meal 4 10 oz. of chicken and 3 cups white rice with onions and garlic.

Meal 5 8 oz. chicken and 1 cup brown rice.

Meal 6 Nitrean or Opticen with 1 cup oatmeal and 1 banana.

Meal 7 14 egg whites and 1 cup oatmeal.

Mercuryblade
01-07-2009, 04:22 PM
I agree with a few post above, way too many carbs, and bad carbs at that. Eat good carbs, dead animals, a lot of them; then train your balls off and you will grow. Like Nuclear said - EAT LIFT AND STOP THINKING!!!

Here's a sample of how you should eat:

Meal 1 20 egg whites, 3 whole eggs, 1 cup oatmeal, 1 bagel, 1 glass orange juice, water and multivitamin.

Meal 2 8 oz. steak (top round) and 1.5 cups white rice.

Meal 3 8 oz. chicken and 1 cup brown rice.

Workout

Post Workout 1 serving Opticen

Meal 4 10 oz. of chicken and 3 cups white rice with onions and garlic.

Meal 5 8 oz. chicken and 1 cup brown rice.

Meal 6 Nitrean or Opticen with 1 cup oatmeal and 1 banana.

Meal 7 14 egg whites and 1 cup oatmeal.

Brown rice is really not better than white rice as far as the simple vs complex carbs debate goes. I'd bring you up a source but I'm at my work computer right now and I don't have the websites on me. I was surprised too when I found it out.
Basically you net a bit more fiber from the brown rice, but the glycemic index of brown is just a couple points lower than white rice. Both are high.

EDIT: HP666 your diet seems a bit low on fat.

evilxxx
01-07-2009, 04:30 PM
Why you take your protein with water? take it with milk...and like it was said before eat more dead animals..LOL!

KarstenDD
01-07-2009, 04:55 PM
You have cereal with soy milk and low fat waffles for breakfast? Try eggs.

HP666
01-07-2009, 05:01 PM
EDIT: HP666 your diet seems a bit low on fat.

Good catch there!! It is way too low on fat. I was just giving him an example of a diet with good foods and a higher caloric intake. It actually isn't my diet, it's an off season bodybuilding diet.

jtrink
01-07-2009, 05:13 PM
Why you take your protein with water? take it with milk...and like it was said before eat more dead animals..LOL!

post workout its better to take whey protein with water because it gets absorbed by the body quicker.

Brad08
01-08-2009, 06:05 AM
post workout its better to take whey protein with water because it gets absorbed by the body quicker.

Actually, there's a really good study showing that a blend of fast-acting whey plus slow-acting casein is "optimal" for protein synthesis. IOW, milk.

Dr Swole
01-09-2009, 06:43 PM

Enjoy being scrawny.

Er, I mean "ripped."

Not everyone wants to be a hairy fatass ogre.

NuclearArms
01-09-2009, 07:18 PM
Not everyone wants to be a hairy fatass ogre.

Not everyone wants to be a TROLL... and likely a scrawny troll at that

tpagels0
01-09-2009, 07:23 PM
good god everyones **** in hostile... eat 3500 calories a day at least spread trhough 5-6 meals, intake at least 160 g of protien/day, drink 1-2 gallons water a day, train harder than you ever trained before, oh and eat dead animals....i heard soy increases estrogen so id quit with the soy milk **** unless you want boobs and a vag