PDA

View Full Version : Muscle weight gain

DjArcadian
01-09-2009, 12:22 PM
I'm lifting weights but I'm focusing primarily on fat loss right now. Trying to loss around 20 or 25 lbs of fat (currently about 190 lbs, 5' 10" male, 25% bodyfat). I'm consuming around 1100 to probably 1800 calories daily and lift/cardio every other day. My diet is low fat, higher fiber. In the past when I've lifted I've gained muscle easily but wasn't dieting at the same time.

I understand that lifting weights while doing cardio will reduce muscle loss but given my specs is it possible to gain muscle during this process? Can the body actually gain muscle when dieting?

[R_H]
01-13-2009, 05:32 AM
I'm lifting weights but I'm focusing primarily on fat loss right now. Trying to loss around 20 or 25 lbs of fat (currently about 190 lbs, 5' 10" male, 25% bodyfat). I'm consuming around 1100 to probably 1800 calories daily and lift/cardio every other day. My diet is low fat, higher fiber. In the past when I've lifted I've gained muscle easily but wasn't dieting at the same time.

I understand that lifting weights while doing cardio will reduce muscle loss but given my specs is it possible to gain muscle during this process? Can the body actually gain muscle when dieting?

From what I've read in the more knowedgeable posters' posts, it's pretty hard to lose weight and gain muscle at the same time, the best you can do is eat enough protein to stop your body from "cannabalizing" the muscles before the fat.

HP666
01-14-2009, 09:54 PM
;2071804']From what I've read in the more knowedgeable posters' posts, it's pretty hard to lose weight and gain muscle at the same time, the best you can do is eat enough protein to stop your body from "cannabalizing" the muscles before the fat.

That pretty much sums it up. RH pays attention.

MattBag
01-14-2009, 10:00 PM
dude your maintenance calorie intake should be close to 2500 there is no reason for you to ever even come close to only eating 1100 cals. eating that low will cause you body to start trying to make up for the lack of calories and preventing your organs from shutting down by munching on your muscle rather than fat because proteins have twice as much energy for use rather than fat. be smart. 1100 -1800 is barely respectable. I recommend you try eating 2300 and keep up with your water intake if you truly are doing your cardio every other day then over time you will burn some fat. but any lower than 1800 for a male your height and size could be detrimental to your health.

DjArcadian
01-15-2009, 04:37 PM
My main concern now is fat loss. I'm lifting largely to reduce muscle loss. When I hit a respectable BF% I'll refocus on muscle gain.