PDA

View Full Version : Belts

slashkills
01-09-2009, 07:13 PM
i seen a video a while back during football season about weightlifting and they talked about the different types of belts. I cant find anything other than the purpose for using a belt on google. Can someone explain why people might use different size and shaped belts when lifting?

Lones Green
01-09-2009, 08:16 PM
Good question.

A 13mm belt is usually the thickest belt allowed, of course it depends on the federation. The thicker the belt, the more support. (Although there isn't going to be a huge difference between 10-13mm.)

One might want a thinner belt to get down to the bar easier on deads.

One might want a shorter belt when benching so it does not interfere with one's arch.

slashkills
01-10-2009, 09:54 AM
thanks

maxskyscraper
12-15-2010, 11:50 PM
Would you guys say everyone should wear a belt of some sort at all times? I don't wear one, but I also don't lift too heavy. Recently though, I've been having some random back spasms here and there throughout the day while I'm at work (never while I'm actually lifting).

mchicia1
12-16-2010, 08:17 AM
Would you guys say everyone should wear a belt of some sort at all times? I don't wear one, but I also don't lift too heavy. Recently though, I've been having some random back spasms here and there throughout the day while I'm at work (never while I'm actually lifting).

No, only on max or close to max effort lifts and only on lifts that may put stress on the lower back. Squats, deads, military press, and barbell rows come to mind.

maxskyscraper
12-16-2010, 10:31 AM
No, only on max or close to max effort lifts and only on lifts that may put stress on the lower back. Squats, deads, military press, and barbell rows come to mind.

Thanks. That's what I thought, but was curious to see what the current "rule" was from this community. The gym I'm at now doesn't really have that lifting culture (a lot of older folks using machines and treadmills) so I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a shift in opinion from the guys that know.