PDA

View Full Version : ethnic foods

faithless
01-11-2009, 11:54 AM
hello everyone, i was wondering if some nutrition experts might have some answers on this.

I'm a Vietnamese, and my family likes to eat mainly vietnamese food. as you can see, this presents a problem for a wannabe weight trainer like myself. it's hard for me to follow nutrition guidelines because of this.

I'm not going to ask everything about Vietnamese food, but I've focused on several of the types of foods that make up a big part of our diet.

For one thing, we really like sour type food. We have sour soup, usually with salmon and bean sprouts and tomatoes. We use a lot of lemon and tamarind in our diet.

There's also this dish, very similar to Korean kim chi but without the spicyness. My dad usually puts a large amount of leafy greens into a tub of water, vinegar, a bit of sugar, and we eat it as a side dish with rice and meat.

my question is this: How does soury foods figure into a diet? What does it do to the metabolism, if anything? Is vinegar, lemons, sour mangoes, bad?

BTW, I could very easily just follow a very western diet of oats/eggs whites/tuna/chicken etc. But my question is mainly about this particular diet of soury foods and it's effects.

Thanks

whiteman90909
01-11-2009, 07:15 PM
Uh, I'm not sure what you're asking, but the flavor of food doesn't really change the amount of calories it has or its effect on your metabolism...

Tom Mutaffis
01-12-2009, 10:47 AM
The seasoning and flavoring that you are using are not bad.

Eating a lot of ground beef and rice could be detrimental unless you get brown rice and lean beef.

As with everything, moderation is key. Eating these meals is fine as long as you are getting enough protein and not overloading on fat and carbs.