PDA

View Full Version : program design

slashkills
01-11-2009, 03:06 PM
I have to design a routine for my fitness program class. I decided to design a weightlifting program for football because i thought it would be the most beneficial to me.
Here it is

Mon: upper bodyw/ pylometrics before workout
bench: work up to 2x3-5
Incline Db press: 2x10-12
BB rows: 3x8-12
shrugs: 3x8-12
curls:3x8-12

Tue: lower bodyw/ abs
squat: work up to 2x3-5
split squat variation: 2x6-8
romanian deadlift: 2x8-12

Wed: off

Thur: Misc liftsw/ plyometrics before workout
powerclean: 3x6-8
shoulder press: 2x6-8
Lat pull downs: 2x10

Fri: off

Sat:Misc liftsw/ abs
Deadlift: work up to 2x3
towel bench: 2x8-12

This is the first routine ive ever designed. I figure since i have to do it for health class i would try and design one i can follow for football.I tried to do a split routine in the beginning of the week and then two sort of full body workouts towards the end of the week. I appreciate any help i can get.

geoffsherman
01-11-2009, 03:59 PM
What position? Is this in-season or off-season? If offseason, what work is mandated by coach (i.e. Speed work)? Previous injury history? Previous weightlifting history?

slashkills
01-11-2009, 04:05 PM
well im a tight end, i did this for a health class project but i figured i would start this routine once i get it all figured out. our current routine the coaches gave us is show up everyday mon-thur and lift what you feel like lifting that day. there really isnt a routine currently. I would like to do plyometrics for explosiveness. so i through them in on mon & thur before the workout. I have no previous injuries and have been lifting 3-4 times a week for two months and this is for the off season.

geoffsherman
01-11-2009, 05:23 PM
A few thoughts:
Get rid of single joint exercises (i.e. curls) and replace them with compound work. It gives you greater efficiency of your workouts and you will still activate the smaller muscles. For instance, do pullups rather than curls
I am not sure I understand the thought process behind your Thursday and Saturday work. Thursday you could make more of an RE Upper Day and Saturday work on either speed work or RE lower depending on what you are trying to improve on. What you have listed just looks like a grab bag
If you only have time for 3 exercises on your main lower day, I wouldn't use split squats as one of my movements.

slashkills
01-11-2009, 07:59 PM
ok ill swap the isolation exercises with compound movements.

My thoughts on the thur & sat workouts are i want to have atleast one day to do olyimpic lifts to help with explosiveness.. Im going to do things like clean,snath,etc on thur. I know i added other stuff to my thur workout above i dont know what i was thinking there.Saturday i wanted a day that kind of really caps off the upper & lower body split from mon & tuesday.
So basically i want the week to work like this because im thinking that is the best way to fit everything i want to do in an effectivley into the week.
mon: upper body
tue:lower body
wed:off
thur:olympic lifts
fri:off
sat:full body
sun:off

I have all the time in the world for my tuesday workout. what kind of things could i use for an effective lower body day?

Eric Downey
01-11-2009, 08:27 PM
The program we do no matter what the season for all of our kids and us looks like this.
Mon: Squat, Deadlift, GPP Work Abs
Tues: Upper body work. Close/Mid grip bench, Shoulders, Basic Arm work.
Wed: off
Thurs: Back: pull ups, bent over rows, 1 arm rows, high pulls, abs
Sat: Heavy Bench

The weight and reps change to what were training for, but the cycle stays the same.