PDA

View Full Version : Trouble "feeling" the leg drive on bench press

brihead301
01-12-2009, 06:53 AM
After watching that video that was posted on here not too long ago "very informative bench video" or something like that, I started working on my bench form.

Basically, I understand the concept - you retract your shoulder blades, and you get more contact with the bench. You then use your legs to push your traps and upper back (and shoulders) into the bench, and use that extra force to push the bar up.

My problem is that I have trouble really feeling it. I'm used to just pushing the weight up with my arms, and not really incorporating my legs at all (because I never really bothered learning to bench properly).

Now, I'm trying this new form, and I'm getting the arch, and keeping my shoulders and butt on the bench, and I'm keeping my feet on the ground in a position where they would be able to give me maximal leg drive. But I'm still not feeling as if I'm getting any more "force production". In other words, I still feel like I'm just using my arms and chest to push the bar up....

Is this normal when first learning to bench properly? Is there any tips or cues to feel for to know I'm doing it right?

Thanks fellas!

Ryano
01-12-2009, 08:34 AM
Make sure you tuck your elbows at the bottom and drive with your heels, not toes.

Pete22
01-12-2009, 08:59 AM
Make sure you tuck your elbows at the bottom and drive with your heels, not toes.

This, and make sure to squeeze your glutes.

brihead301
01-12-2009, 09:12 AM
Ok, I will focus on both of these things today. Thanks for the suggestions.

Brian Hopper
01-12-2009, 09:14 AM
Drive ur heels in the ground.

nick420
01-12-2009, 09:06 PM
I think I may have a little more potential on bench after hearing that last part. About tucking your elbows, is it normal that tucking your bows makes it harder to lift your normal weight?

roots
01-14-2009, 11:21 AM
I think I may have a little more potential on bench after hearing that last part. About tucking your elbows, is it normal that tucking your bows makes it harder to lift your normal weight?

I find it much harder to lift the same weight with elbows tucked. Probably because i've always flared my elbows out since i started benching. But after a while my elbows started hurting from tricep tendonitis, so I've been really concentrating on tucking the elbows.

Lones Green
01-14-2009, 11:51 AM
I find it much harder to lift the same weight with elbows tucked. Probably because i've always flared my elbows out since i started benching. But after a while my elbows started hurting from tricep tendonitis, so I've been really concentrating on tucking the elbows.

If you aren't used to lifting like that it will be harder. Give it awhile though!

hellagrant
01-15-2009, 01:15 PM
How tall are you? I am kinda short so I place 45lb plates under my feet while benching. Without the plates my feet barely touch the ground, so I can't really get a good push from my lower body.

View 1
01-15-2009, 01:20 PM
See post #11. I had trouble at first using leg drive and that post summed it up for me and now I have it down pretty good.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=117720

brihead301
01-15-2009, 02:05 PM
THanks guys. Nice link too view!