PDA

View Full Version : Problem with shoulder press

BFGUITAR
01-12-2009, 02:43 PM
Last week I did 140 for 3 reps strict press. Today I tried for 145 and couldn't even do one... I did do 135 for a few singles which was fine. But I know that it was just a bad day no problem... but it has to do with something else.

Usually after that I do seated DB press. I try to do 3x10... The first set goes by well, the last rep is hard but manageable. The second set I barely get 6 up, the third barely 4.

So my question is, what does this mean? Why is there such a big drop off? I can do 55 for 3 sets of 10 no problem. Should I try going for 3x8, just so I dont burn out as quick?

Chalky Palms
01-12-2009, 02:54 PM
Why so high rep anyway, I'd drop it down to 8, but it just sounds like a bad day to me, maybe you didn't eat properly or get enough rest? Stress levels?

CrazyK
01-12-2009, 03:11 PM
When you say shoulder press, are you talking a standing OHP or seated?

BFGUITAR
01-12-2009, 03:12 PM
For BB press standing for DB sitting.

Could have been rest but I have a track record of sucking at shoulder press. I got plenty of rest, I did party this weekend though lol.

Sidior
01-12-2009, 03:37 PM
Maybe try not worrying so much. I hardly think this deserves a thread.

BFGUITAR
01-12-2009, 03:52 PM
Well is it normal to have such a massive drop off? From 10 to 6 to 4. The week before I did 10,5,5. Obviously I have to change something.

Notorious
01-12-2009, 05:15 PM
For me, I need like ten minute rests in between heavy sets of OHP (I do sets of 5). I can almost guarantee you that is it. Something about shoulders make them need longer rests. That's how it has always been for me.

alex11012
01-12-2009, 11:18 PM
Last week I did 140 for 3 reps strict press. Today I tried for 145 and couldn't even do one... I did do 135 for a few singles which was fine. But I know that it was just a bad day no problem... but it has to do with something else.

Usually after that I do seated DB press. I try to do 3x10... The first set goes by well, the last rep is hard but manageable. The second set I barely get 6 up, the third barely 4.

So my question is, what does this mean? Why is there such a big drop off? I can do 55 for 3 sets of 10 no problem. Should I try going for 3x8, just so I dont burn out as quick?

I have exactly the same problem. 60kgs seated press is easy for 3-4. Could not even do 1 for 65kgs.

And this could not be because of burn. I did 60kgx3 for my first set, felt like I could have easily done another one or even two, decided to try for 65 kgs for tne 2nd set and could barely move the bar.

Sidior
01-13-2009, 01:01 PM
Well is it normal to have such a massive drop off? From 10 to 6 to 4. The week before I did 10,5,5. Obviously I have to change something.
There are so many variables though man.
-diet could be off
-sleep off
-stress levels higher
-other things on your mind
-maybe a previous workout had you more fatigued then normal
-rest between sets different

Just count it as a ****ty workout. Training is about overall progress. If this continues for a few workouts then start trying to diagnose the problem.

CrazyK
01-14-2009, 01:08 PM
There are so many variables though man.
-diet could be off
-sleep off
-stress levels higher
-other things on your mind
-maybe a previous workout had you more fatigued then normal
-rest between sets different

Just count it as a ****ty workout. Training is about overall progress. If this continues for a few workouts then start trying to diagnose the problem.^^^ I'm with the genious here :)

ZenMonkey
01-14-2009, 01:14 PM
If your form is not down then increasing weight can make things alot harder on yourself too.

BFGUITAR
01-14-2009, 01:15 PM
Thanks, I'll be back.