PDA

View Full Version : Novice Olympic Lifting Routine

Live
01-12-2009, 07:55 PM
So ive been using Mark Rippetoe's starting strength routine very successfully build a good base of strength. With my gains still rising, after one year of consistent training after years of a sedentary lifestyle I am sitting at a ATG Squat 1rm of in and around 300lbs, and a deadlift 1rm of 405 and a bench of 255 lbs

However, I am looking to progress into the world of olympic lifting as ive always been amazed at olympic lifters balance of strength and explosive power. However, I'm not sure what would be a solid novice routine to segway into oly lifting. I have access to bumper plates and just got myself a pair of adidas lifting shoes for the holidays.

Any help is much appreciated

ZenMonkey
01-12-2009, 09:41 PM
Here is a day sample:

Mobility Work
Olympic Lift
Auxillary Lift
Squat
Accessory
Stretching/Spinal Decompression

so, something like this

Snatch
Snatch Pull or high pull
Push Press
Back Squats

CnJ
Clean Pull or High Pull
OH Press
BO Row

Snatch
CnJ
Front Squats
Pullups

+some core work once to twice a week. Include decline weighted situps.

Do yourself a favor and purchase Weightlifting, Olympic Style by Tommy Kono.
scroll all the way down

http://www.tommykono.com/

Live
01-13-2009, 07:50 AM
Aye I will purchase the book, can't argue with TK

accuFLEX
01-13-2009, 04:07 PM
How many days a week do you want to train?

ZenMonkey
01-13-2009, 04:32 PM
How many days a week do you want to train?

The question really is: Hwo quickly can you recover from heavy WO to heavy WO? That is the only depending factor in training frequency. I think 4 days is generally the highest number of lifting days in a O split. Most of the coaches I deal with suggest 3.

Live
01-13-2009, 08:26 PM
Personally, I have often finding myself forcing myself to not go the gym, so burning out is not likely. However, in terms of physical recovery, I am relatively young, 19, eat a lot of protein everyday, usually sleep a lot. I think it would be wise for me to start with a 3 day routine and depending on how my body reacts possibly move to a 4 day routine

accuFLEX
01-14-2009, 08:51 AM
The question really is: Hwo quickly can you recover from heavy WO to heavy WO? That is the only depending factor in training frequency. I think 4 days is generally the highest number of lifting days in a O split. Most of the coaches I deal with suggest 3.

I was just saying that some people like to go to the gym more often (like myself) and some people have less time to train.

To the OP, I'd do something like this:

Mon - Snatch + Front Squat

Wed - Clean Pulls + Snatch Pulls + Push Press

Fri or Sat - Clean and Jerk + Back Squat

I wouldn't do that much assistance lifting. In my limited experience, I'd spend as much time as a I could working on my form and not worrying about my weaknesses yet.

ZenMonkey
01-14-2009, 09:02 AM
I was just saying that some people like to go to the gym more often (like myself) and some people have less time to train.

To the OP, I'd do something like this:

Mon - Snatch + Front Squat

Wed - Clean Pulls + Snatch Pulls + Push Press

Fri or Sat - Clean and Jerk + Back Squat

I wouldn't do that much assistance lifting. In my limited experience, I'd spend as much time as a I could working on my form and not worrying about my weaknesses yet.

I understand that you may "like" to go more often but that could not be the best thing for YOU.

Somthing like the split Tommy Kono suggests would work much better. He is a previous WR holder and coach. His stuff works. There is no reason that the OP cannot work on form and general strength.

accuFLEX
01-14-2009, 09:22 AM
Well I think when trying to learn a technical lift like the snatch, ones energy would be better spent drilling those lifts vs. doing pullups or rows

ZenMonkey
01-14-2009, 01:01 PM
I agree. That is not incompatible with the TK split. His has as much form drilling as any other O split.