PDA

View Full Version : Skinny dude Gets Serious (needs help)

mast123
01-12-2009, 10:42 PM
Background:
I'm a dude that has struggled with half assed efforts of 4 years of 3 month spurts of going to the gym for 3-4 times a week with little to nothing to show for it. The type that loves to read and gather information about lifting with the mindset that its going to help when i finally get serious.

Now is the time.

I'm discouraged with the amount of conflicting information, both scientifically backed and experienced based on nutrition and workouts, so after reading everything, and evaluating all sources, i have come up with a plan to get me started, keeping in mind that it will be evolving as i go, to meet my specific needs.

Enough of that. The Starting Stats
Height: 6'1''
Weight: 177 (naked in the morning after a piss)
BF%: 16.5 (says my lame 100$ BF% scale)

Pictures
4 pictures
Front, unflexed
Back, unflexed
Front, flexed, i dont know what the crap i am doing
Back, flexed, again, no idea, doesnt matter, you get the point, im weak.

Bench (1 rep max): 150lbs
Squat (1 rep max): 125lbs (I know, i suck, its apparent)
Pull-ups: 5 un-aided
Push-ups, 1 set to failure: 30 (the last 5 look like piss)

The GOALS
Bulk up to something respectable with 10% bodyfat
-by this i would mean 190 with 10% bodyfat which is a 23lb gain in muscle mass.
Have a command over my bodyweight
-be able to bench my weight 10 times
-be able to do 15 pull ups
-be able to do 75 push ups
-be able to squat and deadlift like a non pussy

Time Line, 18 months: 7/1/2010

The PLAN
1) Work Out
2) Eat
3) Eat
4) Sleep

These seem to be the pillars of how to get things done for people that have a hard time putting on muscle. But ill get a bit more specific here:

WorkOut
Im modeling the first 4 weeks of this workout routine after weeks 5-9 of WBB1.1, Im replacing some of the stuff i don't like doing with other things that will keep me motivated.

3 or 4 day split
4 sets, 10 reps first 2 sets, 8 reps or till failure last 2 sets
70-80% of 1 rep max
1.5 min of rest time between sets
40 minute limit in gym (this is tough to keep to, i usually go over with abs)
If i only go 3 times during the week, Day 4 will get skipped.

Day 1 - Upper
Straight Arm Pull Downs
Flat Bench Press or Dumbbell Chest Press
Standing or Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press
Dips
Variation of Standing Biceps Curls

Day 2 - Lower
Front Squat/Back Squat
Good Morning Replacement?? Back Extensions???
Alternating Lunges
Standing Calve Raises
Hammer Strength Machine Ab Crunch

Day 3 - Upper
Seated Lat Pull Down, pull-up grip
Seated Wide Grip Cable Row or One Arm Dumbbell Rows
Push Ups (variations)
Scaption
Dumbbell Skull Crushers
Lower Abs

Day 4 - Lower & Ab
Deadlifts (Extra Sets)
Seated Calve Raises
Walk Outs
Swiss Ball Crunches
Weighted Oblique Crunches

I want this workout to be both challenging, and engaging, and one that promotes growth for my body type. I modified WBB1.1 to remove some of the double work on the main muscle groups, because from my readings, overtraining for hardgainers can be a big problem.

I will be posting all of my workouts in a standard format starting tomorrow, its getting late, and my workout from tonight has made me tired.

Food
I am keeping a fitday account and i will be tracking and posting my food intakes until i can consistantly hit my daily goals.

200g protein
3500 calories

Im keeping it simple, to keep on track during the start. I will be eating MOSTLY clean, with complex cabs and good fats, and real food, but will need to fudge where necessary. (meats, cheese, milk, nuts, meats, meats, whole wheats, etc.)

Supplements
Keeping this simple, with protein shakes and vitamins, and from what i have read the best supplement.

2 GNC Brand 40g protein shakes a day (3 if on a workout day)
1 Muscle Milk slow metabolizing Protein Shake before bed on workout days
1 daily vitamin for builders, twice daily
creatine monohydrate or ethyl ester

Nutrient Timing
Keeping this simple too, only a few principles
Complex carbs 2-3 hours before a workout
Simple carbs 30 min before and during workout
Simple carbs directly after workout with Creatine for muscle absorbtion
Protein shake, directly after workout

Im looking for ANY feedback on anything i have posted today, as these will be my guiding principles for the next 4 weeks until i evaluate if my routine needs to be modified. This 4 week goal is to get into the mindset, put on some bulk, and get ready for the long haul of bulk bulk bulk cut bulk bulk bulk cut cycle needed to get me to 190/10%.

Can we get an estimate on my BF% i feel 16 is high for what i look like, but then again, i am flabby.

Also, if anyone could shed light on the insulin thing... not taking supplements, just how my body's insulin can be anabolic, the articles out there suck, including the ones on this site.

Thoughts?????

-JM-
01-13-2009, 06:45 AM
You can read and read all you want, but sometimes its just best to get in there and do it. The reason you have encountered so much conflicting information is most likely because what works for one individual may not work for another.

Stick to the basics, work hard, eat plenty and find out what works for YOU.

The PLAN
1) Work Out
2) Eat
3) Eat
4) Sleep

^This will be a great start.

Good luck!

mast123
01-13-2009, 02:54 PM
thanks! i will need the luck!

mattburns
01-13-2009, 04:24 PM
You seem fairly clued up and well read, all you really need to do is put it into practice.

If you do eat 3500+ cals and 200g+ of protein a day and lift heavy then I'm sure you'll see results in a couple of months.

Good luck.