PDA

View Full Version : Trying To Gain Some Weight

Melih
01-12-2009, 11:07 PM
Hey guys,

I've started working out lately. I have a benchpress and dumbbells at home, so i've been benching at home, while also doing dumbbell benchpress', incline dumbbell flyes, and also doing some dumbbell and bicep curls, while also doing around 100 pushups a day. I know it's not much, but for now it is. Anyway, i'm a pretty skinny guy. I'm 17, i weight 135lbs and i'm 5"8. Like you read in them, i'm really skinny and i need to gain weight in order to gain some muscle. Even though i'm pretty skinny, i've started noticing my arms getting a bit ger these past few months, but i need to gain some more weight in order to develop my chest, because at the moment, it's small, and by the time i go on holiday at the end of the year, i want it to be decent looking.

Anyway, i came here to ask you guys, what should/could i eat in order to gain weight? What would you recommend, in order to gain weight to build some muscle? Should i take supplements, or what?

I just want to bulk up my arms and chest, as i already have semi decent abs coming through.

Cheers guys, appreciate it.

ProLogic
01-13-2009, 01:03 AM
Oatz. Squatz. Deadz. Oatz

Bako Lifter
01-13-2009, 02:41 AM
Anyway, i came here to ask you guys, what should/could i eat in order to gain weight? What would you recommend, in order to gain weight to build some muscle?
Look up "what a bodybuilder eats".
peanut butter, milk, meat, cheese.

Should i take supplements, or what?
If you have money to burn go for it.

I just want to bulk up my arms and chest,
Don't forget about the other 3/4s of your body. Back and legs. Don't end up looking like a dip**** a year from now.

as i already have semi decent abs coming through.

That's because you're 135 lbs, they'll disappear if you start packin on pounds. So don't neglect you're core.

Melih
01-13-2009, 04:39 AM
Look up "what a bodybuilder eats".
peanut butter, milk, meat, cheese.

If you have money to burn go for it.

Don't forget about the other 3/4s of your body. Back and legs. Don't end up looking like a dip**** a year from now.

That's because you're 135 lbs, they'll disappear if you start packin on pounds. So don't neglect you're core.
Cheers. I've read a lot of sticky threads on here, on what to eat and do. I've wrote down a list of what i should eat, which includes meat, eggs, cheese, milk, pasta, fruits/vegetables, nuts, rice etc.

Yep i do, so i'll probably by Creatine 500 which i read in a thread. Either that or Opticen, you think?

Yea, true. I should work on my back and legs too. What could i do for my back?

Fair enough, i'll start doing some sit-ups with different techniques. Cheers mate.

[R_H]
01-13-2009, 05:23 AM
Cheers. I've read a lot of sticky threads on here, on what to eat and do. I've wrote down a list of what i should eat, which includes meat, eggs, cheese, milk, pasta, fruits/vegetables, nuts, rice etc.

Yep i do, so i'll probably by Creatine 500 which i read in a thread. Either that or Opticen, you think?

Fair enough, i'll start doing some sit-ups with different techniques. Cheers mate.

Check out the "Baby got Back" routine (http://wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=255), if you want a routine that focuses on the back or examples of excercises that work the back. Off the top of my head, you could do chinups or pullups and rows (barbell, cable etc.).

hellagrant
01-13-2009, 12:33 PM
Are you planning to join a gym? Because I noticed that you don't have any way to do squats.

Masako
01-13-2009, 09:16 PM
One of the best tips I read when trying to gain weight was "double your portions". It's so simple, and makes so much sense. I don't literally do this for every portion, but near enough. I also started drinking tons and tons of delicious milk. http://photosnag.com/img/1927/y08m1110mhmd/2.gif

Bako Lifter
01-13-2009, 10:21 PM

Creatine is like $10 so get that and opticen/nitrean. Whichever.

Deadlifts, rows, and pull-ups are great for your back. Google them for different variations.

HP666
01-14-2009, 09:45 PM
Barbell bent over rows, do squats with dumbbells if you have to, but start squatting, Military Press, deadlifts, Stiff legged deadlifts, lunges, these are things you can do with what you have now. Look up some Kettlebell workouts and substitute a dumbbell for a KB.

HP666
01-14-2009, 09:45 PM
Oh yeah, and eat: Beef, Whole Milk, Chicken, Rice, Peanut Butter, Nuts, Eggs.....

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=46565

runriot26
01-20-2009, 07:18 PM
yea man i was in your exact situation about a year and a half ago, now im up to 160...same height and everything..the best way for me to get into shape and gain some mass was doing compound lifts....squats,bench,deads,chin ups,dips, powercleans...def POWERCLEANS.....any excercise that works large groups of muscles at once.... and about the supplements take 2 scoops of whey protein 20 mins after your workout....best timing for a boost of protein right there....its cheap and you can get it at walmart :)....get SLEEP....i cant emphesize that enough.... but your gonna have to eat alot!! its not easy but if your serious about it, it pays off in the long run

redwolf4k
01-21-2009, 12:01 PM
It's mainly going to be the food you need to consume. You can do alot with some dumbells and a barbell, so don't get discouraged about that. If I were you, I would STOP doing 100 push ups a day. I don't think it's going to help you put mass on. Get yourself on a routine that you can accomplish with the equiptment you have (if your not going to join a gym) You can search in stickies for some good options for a routine to put on size. (you may need to invest in some equiptment).

Don't lift more then 3 days a week (say mon wed and fri with the weekends off), make sure those days you are lifting heavy in accordance to what you can handle, do some research and feel yourself out.

If your a lean guy who doesnt make gains easy, then the DIET is the #1 thing no "ifs ands or buts" You need to take in a high protein diet, a great ammount of calories which you can calculate on your own. Don't take the easy way out and chow down at mcdonalds all the time, but once in a while will not hurt you. Make sure you get your protein too, after your workout you should be consuming a good shake that will support instant repair.

My favorite: 2 scoops of whey protein (34g) eggbeaters or storebrand egg whites in a carton (1/2 cup, which is two egg whites, 12-15g) 1 cup of milk (8g) and a bananna for that insulin spike your going to need to make the shake worth it. Follow that a few minutes later with your 5g of creatine (that you want to buy) with 16oz. of apple or grape juice, OR water. dont use acidic juice like orange. Drink plenty of water throughout the day. After that shake get in about 5 more meals for the day, they can be in the form of protein shakes, gainer shakes, whole foods(you cant drink shakes all day, you really got to get you meat and veggies), make sure you eat your veggies (mama was right about that 1) Red meat is your friend, lean chicken is great, eggs etc like you already know and mentioned above. Don't go to bed hungry, drink a protein shake mixed with milk before bed as the 6th meal.

I am not a nutritionalist by any means. This is loose advice but its what has worked for me. You have to do the math yourself though and make sure your taking in what you need to take in. Good Luck dude.