PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder Pain from Squatting???

Sicken
01-13-2009, 05:48 AM
So for a while now I have been having some issues with squatting and shoulder pain. It is not from squatting itself but when I reach back and hold the bar. It is about exactly on top of my shoulder right where your arm meets your torso(the rotator cuff area). This also happens with behind the presses. I have this pain in both shoulders but it is alot worse in my right one. What could be causing this? Anything I could do to make it more fexible so reaching back and grabbing the bar is not as much of a struggle? I have no history of shoulder/rotator cuff injuries.

Thanks for reading

jefflance1
01-13-2009, 07:13 AM
I am no expert but I can tell you a few months back I started to experience some serious shoulder pain(rotator cuff area) with weakness after benching. At first I thought it was my benching that was causing the problem but ultimately I figured out it was from squatting. My problem was my form was bad and I was supporting the weight with my arms instead of the weight riding on my shoulders. With my arms pulled back it was putting to much stress on my shoulders when I went heavy which caused me some serious pain. I have since read through Rippetoe's Starting Strength and corrected my problem with where the weight rests in a squat and the pain is subsiding. I still have a little pain after a heavy bench day but I have not lost strength again and the pain is only just a low ache. If this isn't your problem sorry about wasting your time but maybe someone else can gain some insight instead of having serious pain like I went through.

NUCadet97
01-13-2009, 07:13 AM
I have the same problem with my right shoulder, but I can pin point a cause. I had shoulder surgery to repair a bankhart lesion with capsular shift. My PT told me to never do shoulder presses behind the neck as this strains the joint immensely. I would suggest internal/ external rotations and checking in with a PT or chiropractor to work on flexibility.

Brad08
01-13-2009, 07:21 AM
Have you tried taking a wider grip?

For flexibility, try band dislocates.

Kiknskreem
01-13-2009, 07:38 AM
Shoulder pain while squatting can stem from several causes but what you are describing to me sounds like it could well be an impingement issue.

I would ice your s houlders a few times a day, and make sure to take your fish oil and ibuprofen.

Warm up your shoulders very well before squatting. I like to do some hangs from a pullup bar and close grip pulldowns with a supinated grip ( a few very light sets of 20, get your head through on both these exercise)

Stretch your pec minor androtator cuff complex. If it is in fact impingement, and you are very irritated, play things by ear because working through it could make things worse.

You can also widen your grip on the bar or try a high bar position.

Even if your problem is not specifically impingment, the above advice may help. Be cautious, pushing through minor shoulder irritation can lead to some longer term problems. If things do not improve or get worse seek professional help.

Code_B
01-14-2009, 10:45 PM
I had a labrum problem due to squatting with a really low bar position on sheiko. Just having the bar on my shoulders that much was too much for them. Flexibility was the problem I'm pretty sure. I took some time off, did my rehab exercises every day and the problem has gone completely. I was very close to doing some serious damage I think, so I'm glad I scaled back for a while.

hellagrant
01-15-2009, 01:13 PM
Warm up your shoulders very well before squatting.

I had the same problem not to long ago. Although it is difficult to tell if this will work, I think you should give it a shot. I know warm up very throughly before squats.