PDA

View Full Version : Cholesterol Question

Reinier
04-06-2002, 12:53 PM
so basically the theory that cholesterol in your diet will endanger your health by rising blood cholesterol levels is outdated, then why do we all eat more eggwhites than full eggs?

why dont we just eat like 8 full eggs a day then?

only cuz of the sat. fat, or is there still a reason to avoid the cholesterol?

Tryska
04-06-2002, 02:57 PM
i think it's the sat fat.

i personally always eat the whole egg, but i also don't eat more than 2 or 3 a day.

mdirrane12
04-06-2002, 06:05 PM
Maybe its because they dont know. Ive seen information about cholesterol in food at a bodybuilding website. ITS USELESS. Total serum cholesterol is not a coronary risk factor. My cholesterol is 228.

Manveet
04-06-2002, 06:56 PM
Cholesterol is an animal lipid that reduces permeability of the plasma membrane. This makes it a little more difficult for molecules to pass through the cell through diffusion.

Tryska
04-06-2002, 08:10 PM
curious, since we produce cholesterol ourselves....

why would it reduce permeability of the plasma membrane?

Manveet
04-06-2002, 09:00 PM
Well, your right Trsyka, every cell in our body uses cholesterol. We actually can not really live without it. My reply kinda came off wrong. First of all, cholesterol is a part of a group of lipids. Cholesterol is slighty soluble in water in pure form, but when complexed with protein molecules, their solubility increases, and since our plasma membrane has protein molecules enbedded in it this could obviously be a good thing. Furthermore, cholesterol's association with the phosopholipids (our plasma membrane is a bilayer of phosopholipids) increases the membranes viscosity (that's were the reduction of permeability comes in, albeit not much though) and the strengh of the membrane. As for reducing the rate of diffusion, cholesterol can, if consumed in excessive amounts. But by no means has that been actually proven.

Mark
04-07-2002, 03:16 AM
The cholesterol theory does not stand up to much scrutiny. You have to remember that the people who have promoted it the hardest are manufacturers of food products that compete with eggs.

From a business point of view an egg does not offer the opportunity to 'add value' since it's already a finished product when it comes out of the hen - this does not give much profit opportunity unlike processed crap like cornflakes.

Also food intake does not alter cholesterol levels in some people -in others it does.

If you take in more cholesterol you body just ceases to manufacture it, that's all.

If you want to ensure that you don't have cholesterol problems you should make sure that you consume the items that the body needs for it's transport and complete oxidisation, ie EFAs, antioxidants.

By the way sugar interferes with the actions of antioxidants so another reason for keeping your sugar intake as low as possible.

I have eaten a lot of whole eggs for my entire adult life and would have been dead a long time ago if there was any real risk associated to eating eggs.

Some people (not me) genuinly enjoy egg whites on their own so why not keep eating them if that's what you want.

For me there is too much quality nutrition and taste in an egg yolk to discard it.

Mystic Eric
04-07-2002, 03:30 AM
Originally posted by Manveet
Well, your right Trsyka, every cell in our body uses cholesterol. We actually can not really live without it. My reply kinda came off wrong. First of all, cholesterol is a part of a group of lipids. Cholesterol is slighty soluble in water in pure form, but when complexed with protein molecules, their solubility increases, and since our plasma membrane has protein molecules enbedded in it this could obviously be a good thing. Furthermore, cholesterol's association with the phosopholipids (our plasma membrane is a bilayer of phosopholipids) increases the membranes viscosity (that's were the reduction of permeability comes in, albeit not much though) and the strengh of the membrane. As for reducing the rate of diffusion, cholesterol can, if consumed in excessive amounts. But by no means has that been actually proven.

Damnit manveet, you think you are answering a question off of a biology exam or something? Even out of school you're a geek.

The_Chicken_Daddy
04-07-2002, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by Manveet
First of all, cholesterol is a part of a group of lipids.

Are you saying that cholesterol is a fat?