PDA

View Full Version : Is rancid oil bad for you?

Notorious
01-14-2009, 07:03 PM
I opened up an old bottle of olive oil today and took a swig. It tasted pretty bad, I'm pretty sure it's gone rancid. If I don't really mind the taste, is there any harm in having it? Does it's nutrition change at all?

bawdybuilder
01-14-2009, 07:24 PM
I found this answer in google. I dont know myself:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would stop using it. You could get sick! It has a lifespan of about a year or two, after it gets that smell, THROW IT OUT! It's kind of like drinking soured milk, you might not get sick but why take the chance?

A good tip I found was keeping it in the refrigerator. When I want to use it I just set it near the stove as I am cooking and it melts. Simple! I also make sure to buy the smallest container I can find because I don't use it often.

As far as it being good for anything, NO, unless you have a squeaky door that needs oiling and even then a spray of WD40 is probably more effective then olive oil. It also makes a great hair conditioner but you want to use fresh otherwise your hair will smell like rotten oil. So yeah, it's probably good for the garbage can! In a few weeks it will STINK too much to be good for anything!

* 1 month ago

Source(s):
I have had this happen before. I KNOW it's annoying. It's best just to toss it. It could make you sick or ruin your food. And yes IT CAN make you really sick if it's old enough!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I guess its not that good
http://www.johndoeenterprice.com/img/B/N.gif

Notorious
01-14-2009, 07:28 PM
Yeah, I actually saw that, but it was all I could find on google. Not necessarily a credible source. But thanks!

HP666
01-14-2009, 09:27 PM
Dude, it's a bottle of Olive Oil, go get another. Jeez, I can't believe you think it's rancid and are even considering using it.

whiteman90909
01-14-2009, 10:31 PM
I think you answered your own question in the title of this thread.

KarstenDD
01-14-2009, 11:43 PM
Is rancid anything ever good for you?

VikingWarlord
01-15-2009, 02:30 PM
Is rancid anything ever good for you?

Yes. Rancid's ...And Out Come The Wolves album is bad ass.

KarstenDD
01-15-2009, 04:01 PM
Yes. Rancid's ...And Out Come The Wolves album is bad ass.

Hmm, touche.

motor head
01-16-2009, 04:44 PM
just get to a bathroom... why would you drink olive oil?