PDA

View Full Version : Need Suggestions for Lifting Routine

mike95763
01-15-2009, 03:37 PM
I have been reading this forum for a while and there are quite a few people here who's opinions I respect and I would love to get some advice on my workout routine for the next few months. I am trying to get ready for the AAPF Nationals in the beginning of April. This will be my first meet and I will be competing raw. My goal is to total 1480 (current bench ~345, squat ~465 and deadlift ~525, I have never used a belt, one is on the way from inzer and I hope I can learn to get something out of it by April) at 165. To do this I need to cut a little weight, which if it turns out is a problem I will just compete at 181. The bigger issue is that I need to continue to make gains on my lifts. I tried to attach my workout log so hopefully that worked. For the past two months or so I have been trying to switch excercises every week and trying to reach a 1RM in each lift. This has given me reasonably good gaines in squat and deadlift but unfortunatly my bench press has dropped about 20 - 30 lbs. I think I need to be doing less 1RM work in bench and significantly more 3-5RM work. I had been doing a routine in bench that consisted of lighter weight for more reps prior to this and my bench improved pretty well. At the rate my squat and dead lift have been improving, I think I will need to get my bench up to ~365+ to have a chance of getting to 1480 I think my weaknesses on bench are incredibly weak rear delts leading to weak delts in general (I have had issues with both shoulders in the past and virtually ignored any rear delt work, initially from pain then probably because I felt silly with such small weights) and also weak triceps. My weakness in squats is mostly flexability. My hams and hips are really tight. I can usually get my hips to cooperate with me if I warm up enough, but my lack of hamstring flexability makes it very hard to keep good form in the hole (I have watched the squat Rx videos and am working on several of the mobility excercises to try to improve this). I think my deadlift form is pretty weak as well. I tend to have trouble getting my hips forward on heavy weight I realize that it is difficult to say anything on form without a video, but right now I am lacking on recording equipment, but if I do get a video I will try to post it. If anyone could look at my log and give me some advice as to what they think I could do to improve my weakpoints or my routine in general I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

BigTallOx
01-17-2009, 03:04 PM
but unfortunatly my bench press has dropped about 20 - 30 lbs. I think I need to be doing less 1RM work in bench and significantly more 3-5RM work.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about the drop in your bench because you've significantly changed your technique. Now, you're pausing at the bottom and you show much more control of the weight than you did when I first saw you bench. But this morning you also mentioned maybe the real reason, you were doing 2 ME bench sessions per week.

I tend to have trouble getting my hips forward on heavy weight I realize that it is difficult to say anything on form without a video, but right now I am lacking on recording equipment, but if I do get a video I will try to post it.

I have similar problems getting my hips through. Doing speed deads with bands and doing pull throughs have helped me a little.

I think my deadlift form is pretty weak as well.
How long have you been deadlifting? 4 months? 5 months? Your form isn't "pretty week" IMHO. I have videos from our meet of your deadlift that I could post here if you want people to comment on them.

mike95763
01-17-2009, 10:18 PM
Thanks Brian, I tried to PM you but it would not let me since I only have 3 posts (you need 15 apparently) anyhow, I would love it if you would either post some squat and deadlift videos for me or email the link and I should be able to figure out how to post them. If you could try to get me one of the squat videos without wraps as I normally don't use them and I think they might have tweaked my form a bit. Thanks again.

BigTallOx
01-18-2009, 04:01 PM
I would love it if you would either post some squat and deadlift videos for me

Mike is one of my ME benching training partners, and IMHO has huge potential to be a really strong guy. Please give him constructive advice.

Here's his 500 pound deadlift attempt from our little meet on December 13th, 208.

S5EVfw05CGM

Here's his 455 pound squat from the same little meet.

T7bUIM_RxWg

Here's his bench opener of 335 pounds ( mike hope you dont mind me posting your bench as well, maybe you'll get some new information/suggestions.. )

P0d73m0hvc0

Mike I'll post the video of your squat without raps later this afternoon ( I'm watching the kids right now ).

Sean S
01-18-2009, 07:28 PM
Technique:
SQ - Work on moving your stance out some and push your knees out hard on the way down and out of the hole. You don't have to be as wide as a geared lifter, but a little wider would help. If your hips and hamstrings are tight, stretch EVERY DAY.
BP - I like to tuck my elbows just a little more than you did, but that's a matter of preference. Try to work on avoiding the uneven extension.
DL - Can't say much here, just looked too heavy.

Training:
You're doing a crapload of volume and too many heavy lifts in my opinion. For example, working up to a DL 1RM, even failing on one attempt, then trying to do 2 more sets of essentially max effort triples. It's no wonder you mention feeling like crap and having no energy on some days. In general, get some good quality work in on the main lift, then hit 2-3 assistance exercises and done.
A couple of good programs I've seen are from Marc Bartley and Jim Wendler. If you go to the South Carolina Barbell website, under Spud Inc., there is an article in the article section written by a raw lifter that outlines the program Marc put him on that yielded some pretty impressive results. You could also buy Wendlers 3-day a week training e-book on the Elitefts website. There seem to be lots of folks using his programs with great success. If I were ever to compete raw I would use a template from one of these two guys.
Also, don't worry about cutting weight for your first meet. It will be difficult enough as it is.
Good Luck.

mike95763
01-18-2009, 09:38 PM
Brian, thanks for posting the video's for me.
Sean, thanks for the critique. I agree with you about getting my feet farthur apart in squat. I am extreamly inflexible so I have been working on that for a few months to get as wide as I am in the video. It is tough to see in the deadlift video, but I think that the reason I missed the weight was because I never got my hips moving forward under the weight. I have been working on that recently and my form has changed. Bench press I have been trying to throw in some dumbbell work in the hopes that it would even out my lockout. Hopefully this and just getting used to staying tight and working on form will help solve the problem. As for volume, I feel like I am doing less than most people, but it is really hard for me to judge my own workouts. That is why I wanted some advice from other lifters. I will take a look at the routines you mentioned. Thanks again.

evilxxx
01-19-2009, 01:45 AM
Squat: push the knees out.
Bench: Work with light dumbells to get used to pressing both arms at the same time..(it worked for me a few years ago)
Deadlift: Some amonia and a belt and that 500 will go up.

mike95763
01-20-2009, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the responses so far. I would really like it if I could get a few more comments on the volume I have been working with and in my choice of assistance exercises. Any knowledgable comments would be appreciated. Thanks