PDA

View Full Version : Career Depends on Gaining Weight - what is the healthiest / best way?

Puddle_Pirate
01-16-2009, 12:42 PM
I was recently released from the US Coast Guard Academy due to medical and a bunch of other ambigious crap. In reporting in to Swab Summer (boot camp for the Academy), I did not arrive in the best and most suitable conditions and this had a significant effect on my performance while at the Academy. Prior to reporting in, I unintentionally lost a significant amount of weight during the spring season of track, thereby brining my weight level well below what is considered being underweight. Once entering the Academy, my body basically started eating itself apart and I quickly became anemic and had an extreme loss of hormone levels. I thereby was not mentally alert to my surroundings and situationally aware and always felt sluggish - I was thus disenrolled / discharged for substandard performance. Basically, I still plan on getting back to the Academy, but this time under different circumstances. In order to ensure that this doesn't happen again, I need to probably get up to about 150 Lbs. Right now I'm at 115, so I have another 35 or so to go. The question: what is the safest amount of time it should take for me to gain this weight while maintaining my 4% bodyfat? - I do realize though that during bulking I will gain some fat, but it would be nice to not go over 6%. I am also an endurance athlete - used to be a runner, but now cycle because of injury - so I don't want too much bulk slowing me down, but I do believe this extra weight could even help (more power=more speed).
Thanks

Some stats: I'm 19; 5'7"; reporting-in weight- ~105 Lbs; right now- 115. I am also currently prescribed to Testim (testosterone gel), but will soon probably be on an injectionable form (maybe pro- or cypionate).

Progress
01-16-2009, 12:58 PM
Dude, seriously? You weigh 115 lbs, got discharged from the service because of it and you're concerned about maintaining your BF%? Just eat. Make sure you, at the very least, get a lot of protein and essential fat. In addition to that, I'd eat whatever looks good, and that should be a long list.

If you weight train, which I assume you will do if you plan on gaining LBM, you should not be concerned with gaining excess body fat. Just eat and train.

Auburn
01-16-2009, 01:03 PM
You do realize that your low body fat is why your hormone levels are those of a 12 year-old girl?

Jorge Sanchez
01-16-2009, 01:07 PM
Dude, seriously? You weigh 115 lbs, got discharged from the service because of it and you're concerned about maintaining a your BF%? Just eat. Make sure you, at the very least, get a lot of protein and essential fat. In addition to that, I'd eat whatever looks good, and that should be a long list.

If you weight train, which I assume you will do if you plan on gaining LBM, you should not be concerned with gaining excess body fat. Just eat and train.

:withstupi:

You are at an unhealthy weight. As far as I'm concerned, there is no unhealth way to get you to a healthy weight. French fries, burgers, shakes, twinkies, ice cream should all be your best friend over the coming months.

Lift and most of the added weight will be muscle, but you will gain some fat and that is HEALTHY!! Let's assume you really are at 4%bf; the body is not meant to sustain such a low level of body fat. That is the reason you weren't able to perform properly. Why would you want to maintain that?

Puddle_Pirate
01-16-2009, 02:25 PM
Thanks....preciate it. I just want to give myself enough time to gain the weight before reporting in again - which will be at the end of June (that is, if I'm accepted this year). That gives me about 20 weeks (5 months) from Feb.

With the heavy cycling, I'm also doing a good bit of strength training (about an hour on weekdays when I get up @ 5:00:

Mon, Wed, Fri (core and lower body)
Tues, Thur (core and upper body)

But, DAMN, do I love eating, and know I'll enjoy the bulking phase.

Jorge Sanchez
01-16-2009, 02:27 PM
Heavy cycling is probably not going to help your cause. Just make sure you're eating enough to make up for the calories burned.

Auburn
01-16-2009, 02:40 PM
You live thirty minutes from me. You can come train at my place and we'll show you how to eat and put on weight. I'm a master at that one, getting strong...you might have to go ask someone else.

matt08
01-16-2009, 04:04 PM
get a cheeseburger now!

motor head
01-16-2009, 04:40 PM
wow dude, thats scary. Seriously dont do anything. Just let your body recover for like 6 months or a year. Eat well obviously but I really dont think your healthy enough to lift... and when you get there and back to your boot camp HAVE SOME FAT. That way your body will have something to eat!

Puddle_Pirate
01-16-2009, 09:16 PM
Dude, seriously? You weigh 115 lbs, got discharged from the service because of it and you're concerned about maintaining your BF%? Just eat. Make sure you, at the very least, get a lot of protein and essential fat. In addition to that, I'd eat whatever looks good, and that should be a long list.

I'm not necessarily concerned about maintaining 4% status....fat gain when bulking is inevitable. I just want to gain the weight in the best time period. Say, is 1 Lb / week just as good as 1.5 Lbs / week?

Notorious
01-16-2009, 10:13 PM
wow dude, thats scary. Seriously dont do anything. Just let your body recover for like 6 months or a year. Eat well obviously but I really dont think your healthy enough to lift... and when you get there and back to your boot camp HAVE SOME FAT. That way your body will have something to eat!

Stop posting dude. Seriously.

The Thing
01-16-2009, 10:51 PM
OK......so you want to gain 35 lbs, but don't want to get over 6% bodyfat. You also don't want the muscle to slow you down. So you don't want to gain much fat and not too much muscle. What exactly do you want these 35 lbs. to consist of?

Puddle_Pirate
01-17-2009, 05:13 AM
OK......so you want to gain 35 lbs, but don't want to get over 6% bodyfat. You also don't want the muscle to slow you down. So you don't want to gain much fat and not too much muscle. What exactly do you want these 35 lbs. to consist of?
in "too much bulk" I was implying something like gaining 60 Lbs (hypothetically). I seriously doubt 30-40 Lbs would slow me down, and actually plan on it making me faster. So, yes, 35 Lbs. of what I would say, "mostly muscle."

motor head
01-17-2009, 12:11 PM
Stop posting dude. Seriously.

Go Fukc yourself dude. Seriously.

Puddle_Pirate
01-17-2009, 05:37 PM
That's basically what I was being told by the docs when I was there - just basically do nothing for 6 months. But like I could really stand to do that. I'm not anorexic though!!!....just a hardgainer that wants to beef up and gain LBM, and not have a body that has to cannibalize itself. And I just wanted to know the best way to go about this and what time frame it should take (I'm supposing a pound / week should satisfy)?

Side-note: what was really hilarious was that just before a room inspection during the summer, some of my shipmates thought it would be a good joke to place a handful of beef fat in my locker leftover from lunch...luckily I found it before the inspection....lol. But while @ the Academy, while I was the most popular 4/c there (not a good thing as far as standing out goes), and was def. noted as the most gaunt, I was also noted in my company for eating the most.

I was also on the front page paper (which didn't help) for Reporting-In Day:
http://www.theday.com/re.aspx?re=e66e026d-3cf1-4c1a-89c5-a516287c7333

I'm on slide 1:46 coming out of the head (the pict. they put on the front page paper for the city) and 0:32.

Puddle_Pirate
01-17-2009, 05:39 PM
Go Fukc yourself dude. Seriously.
agreed

Puddle_Pirate
01-18-2009, 05:21 PM
About how long should my bulking phase last?

Progress
01-18-2009, 05:45 PM
That's not for us to tell. Once you think you've gained enough mass sounds like a good time to quit. How about 160 if we have to pick a number.